dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I had to go with a different lid b/c I didn't have a safety can opener. I ended up opening mine up with an old P38 can opener from the Korean War(It was my dads)I also have one from WWII which was my grandfathers. I use them alot when playing with making pop can stoves.
    Chris

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    after you chop the can boil the can in a larger pot for a few minutes - anything that is going to dissolve out of the liner will be gone - and in any case even if you don't its no worse than drinking a couple cases of beer over a year
    How long should you boil it for HOI? I was just wondering since I have even used mine yet.
    Chris

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I am just trying to figure out why people are looking for Heiny pot lids? What is wrong with the safety can opener method. The top of the can that was there to begin with fits awesome!

the lid i mentioned is for keeping everything inside. it fits over the can lid and holds in your stove parts.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    the lid i mentioned is for keeping everything inside. it fits over the can lid and holds in your stove parts.
    Now THAT I likey. That is a little bit of an issue. I was just using a rubber band

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    How long should you boil it for HOI? I was just wondering since I have even used mine yet.
    I figure 15 minutes should be enough

I never figured this Henie can thing out. A one ounce pot that requires a 2 or 3 ounce container to protect it, as opposed to a 4-5 ounce Ti kettle (think MSR Titan).

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I never figured this Henie can thing out. A one ounce pot that requires a 2 or 3 ounce container to protect it, as opposed to a 4-5 ounce Ti kettle (think MSR Titan).
    I do not put my Heiny pot in anything. IT holds every piece of my equipment. I am just careful where i place it. I know we are not typically as concerned about ultra light stuff on this forum (of that i am glad sometimes) but this is one area I saved a good chunk of weight on. Now my whole setup (including a little more than 4oz of fuel and everything) weighs less than 8oz. ( I might have said that before..sorry).

That is very true about the ti kettle. It is going to me MUCH more durable. However, Jenny is at the store now picking up some more Heiny pots (for someone... ). They are just over 2 bucks each. This method really only works for people that are just looking to boil some water.

Adam

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    how so? i have cooked many meals in a Heine pot, but because of cleaning efforts involved, switched to freezer bag style meals about 2 years ago.
    and if the word free takes any figuring out, as if they only last once and have to be protected with a 2-3 ounce container (i dont know anyone who does this..)

I would much rather go thru 2 Heiny pots a year, for free (youre really paying for the beer inside) than to have a heavy ti pot that costs $50. And about BPA, it has been reported by FDA to be of no concern to adult humans. (only fosters can was tested)
    I have a Heiny pot that has lasted well over 8 months. Like Stormcrow, its not abused. Its no more fragile than the alky stove used to heat it really. Also, i go back and forth with another cookpot, the small size imUSA aluminum mug. Its very functional for about $3
    I think people are more than willing to justify the purchases they make, and marketing exploits this aspect of human nature, but Titanium is truly over hyped. It doesnt cook well, it heats in a non-uniform manner - and its heavier than aluminum. I think ti is for gimmick prone sheep (but referred to as "victims" once they figure out they've been had)
    You may find offense to that statement, but Im sticking by it. This aint my first rodeo, friend.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Titanium

I have a snowpeak titanium cook set I bought for @$50 when last year when I thought that was what I needed. I used it on my first trip. Now it sits. I will probably not really use it again unless the family goes out and I need more cookware. I just dont need it. The particular set I have also bends fairly easily.

I am certainly guilty of being a lemming when it comes to some of the gear I have purchased but these forums are helping me NOT collect a pile of gear that I never should have bought in the first place. All the reviews, videos, and photos help out alot.

As far as stoves are concerned I will keep and open mind of course but right now I can not see changing my little setup. I have too many other gear related issues to focus on (ULA OHM, I must have you)...

Adam

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    PM Sent. I have a few of the Heini cans. I need a new side cut can opener as the one I have doesn't work half the time. Cheers!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast