Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

FL-Circuit hike of Lake Wales Ridge

Just returning from the circuit hike of Lake Wales Ridge in Central Florida. 11 hammock forum members met and completed a circuit hike of the Arbuckle track of Lake Wales Ridge State Forest.

We started just after a cold front passed through to drop the temperature in the daytime into the 70s and the nighttime into the 50s. It also brought some rain just before we arrived to fill up the creeks, plus lowered the humidity.

Pictures to be posted after a hot shower!
    Last edited by MAD777; 04-07-2013 at 12:56.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    WHAT... No video!

With 11 hikers on the trail, there will be video. I’m going to sit here and wait! Was FLRider there, he shoots good video? Good time to start a hike, just after rain.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    WHAT... No video!
    Alas, Bruciehi5, there was no video. FLRider went north to the AT this weekend.

But, there were pictures!

It was a very gusty night at the Lakefront campsite. Samsara and I were on the lakefront and were rocked, not gently, all night with wind. But we were blessed with this in the morning:

Whether we be just hanging or hiking, we take our vittles seriously!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    And more pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    How about some more...
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Needless to say, we had a fantastic group of hangers who all pitched in and made it a wonderful weekend. I think that all are comedians in their second job! There was perceptible bond among us.

For most, this will be the last hang of the season, except for heartiest among us (you know who you are Florida Rider). From now until next fall it is simply too dangerous to hike lest one die of heat stroke, malaria, or simply mildewing to death in the humidity.

We arrived at 4:00 pm Friday at the entrance to the forest and hiked to Lake Arbuckle where we spent the first night. After breakfast, we packed up and hiked across the forest to Isabell Creek, with a rest stop at Lake Godwin. Isabell Creek is where we spent Saturday night. After Sunday morning breakfast, we broke camp for the last time and headed to our cars via the Reedy Creek hiker bridge.

I must call your attention to the two pictures in post #3. The second picture does not depict roasting hot dogs over the fire. No sirree Bob! Those are bacon wrapped dates on those sticks introduced to us by olddog
    And the first picture in that post explains why we invite emcee on these trips - while everyone else is flashing away at every tree with their camera, emcee always fires off a masterpiece and no one sees him do it! Thanks once again emcee for cover photo!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Like Mike said, it was an awesome time and I am amazed at how many "Bacon Wrapped ______" and "_______ with bacon" jokes we came up with over the weekend. Anyway, here's a couple of my pics.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    It's always a pleasure when this group gets together. about 1/2 dozen of us are veterans, well seasoned by a few new guys each time.

I'm doing a final shake down before my AT hike is a few weeks.

It's a good thing I did. My old home-made pack ripped this morning, big time. It's time to sew up a new one, I guess. I have some design improvements in mind, so I better get started.

To add some weight, I carried a full size Coleman folding chair. I don't know the exact weight, but it carried awkward , because it hung off center no matter how I lashed it on,and dang near killed me. I finally strung it around my neck by the carrying strap.

During "pack on, pack off drills, trying to get it balanced, I lost contact with my Camp Crocks. I was able to backtrack this morning and found them okay.

Samsara's forest continues to amaze me. He unveils a new angle every time we camp/hike here. It's not all that big, but every trip is a new experience.

The big new product revealed was the new Bacon Wrapped Dates (or "BWD" for short) Sounds weird, but tastes divine!! The real men soaked their dates in Crown Royal for an hour or two. Us teatotalers had straight dates with our bacon. It turns out, one strip of bacon perfectly covers three dates on a skewer. There should be a pic soon.
    grinder

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    What a fantastic finishing touch to a great hiking season. We had most of our core group and the pleasure of Mighty Mouse and Duffy returning to join us on another hike. We also welcomed two new guest to our group, Floridahanger and Tuck. Hope that they enjoyed the experience enough to return next season. And emcee, an excellant call on the Crown Maple soak of the dates, it seems like there may have been a little more laughter and jesting after the BWD's were finished. Looking forward to the Fall and a return to the woods with our Hammock Forum group.

The first 3 pics are my creek side hanging site for Friday night.
    #4 is most of the group
    #5&6, a couple of tired hikers
    #7, MADD777 making water
    and the last 2 some Sunday morning sunrise shots
    Last edited by olddog; 04-07-2013 at 16:52.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Always a good time with this group.
    Thank you Samsara for the use of your awesome forest. Beautiful chunk of woods. MAD777 thank you for the arrangements of getting us together.
    OldDog thank you for the fresh new bandana. Emcee the touch of marinated dates went well.
    All the rest of you newly ordained Brotherhood-of-the-Bacon, thanks for a great weekend. Very good time.
    Grinder, glad you found your Crocs. Not sure I would have walked that far to find them, but totally understand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast