Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Trip Report-GA April 5,6,7 2013 Burrel's Ford, SC "Hang Out for a Cure"

I've started this thread for all of the trip reports from this hang.
    It was an awesome, awesome weekend.
    Great to see Chickenwing, Kryptonite, Donkey Kong, and WFR and a real pleasure to meet the new friends
    GrannyPat, 2-Ply, old4hats, Chigger, Doodad, DakotaRoss, 1-Arm Bandit, Swinginit, JoanWest, JB Ranger and snaggletooth, Skinneys11, Mark, and Lonnie.
    If I have left anyone out please forgive me.
    I have a good memory, it's just short.

Special thanks to JB Ranger and Chickenwing for organizing the event, to all of the vendors that donated goods to the raffle, and the Doodad for hauling in his Dutch Oven 1.5 miles (yes, he did!) to make Mountain Man Breakfast Casserole.
    You're my hero.
    I'm sure there will be a ton of pictures uploaded.
    Last edited by swampfox; 04-08-2013 at 05:55.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    It sure was a great time and a wonderful group! Really enjoyed meeting everyone, hiking, and hanging out around the campfire. Thanks especially to the organizers for putting so much work into putting it all together. Thanks also to all those vendors that donated items for the raffle.

Some photos from the trip:

Here is a link to a few more photos on my picasa site.

To quote some obscure personage here on the forums, whooobuddy! That area around Burrel's Ford is one pretty place. Clear river, great scenery, lots of trails, and the weather was perfect. I'll let Swamp Fox call the roll, I would for sure leave someone out, but everyone there was a winner for sure, great group to hike/camp with. I look forward to seeing most of them at other hangs this spring.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    We got there about 4 on Friday. After hiking the WRONG direction for a mile, we ran into Joan. Thankfully she pointed us in the RIGHT direction and hiked along with us. She was a real treat to talk to and pointed out lots of flora and such along the way.

Lily "now called Snaggletooth" was on her first backpacking camping trip. I think she was quite nervous. I was hauling all of our stuff and looked like a sherpa. Joan was kind enough to hold her pillow on some of the small stream crossings so she could negotiate them.

As we FINALLY made it to camp, we met up with all the folks already there. I'll fore-go names at this point as I don't have the list in front of me. We got settled in and setup camp. My daughter kept complaining that her stomach didn't feel well and I really thought for a moment that in the morning we'd have to bail. Thanks to 1Arm, after dinner she got a pepto dose and off to bed she went.

The cold air came in quick during the evening with the final temps in the 30's thanks to being in a bottom and right near the river. I was testing several new pieces of gear at one time and the ONE piece that I really needed to perform was my UQ. Well, it didn't QUITE work out and I got cold. Thankfully I had a small thermarest and that allowed me to get a few hours of sleep.

The next day we had gorgeous weather and hiked to some nearby falls, (Spoonauger) I believe. After we returned we started the raffle. It was so awesome to see the turn out! Let me stop right here and give a BIG thank you to all that participated!! Another HUGE thank you to all the vendors that made this possible. They went above and beyond in their donations.

WE WERE ABLE TO RAISE $430.00 for Children's Cancer Research! That's amazing!!! You guys rock!

Last night we all pow-wowed around the campfire. CW and I had wood stoves that some were interested in seeing. Lily "Snaggletooth" had a loose tooth and we were able to pop it out while sitting at the fire. Thus the new trail name Snaggletooth.

After dinner we got ready for another cold night. Lily slept well, I shivered. LOL! Still though, it was a fun time.

Packed up and headed home this morning. Again, the weather was amazing the entire weekend!

Here are a few pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1175892...eat=directlink

Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Man, this looks awesome! Great job guys! Maybe with a little more experience, ill join in on the next one!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    Come on out! This was my daughter's first trip and she is 6!!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    4S cuben
    Insulation
    down
    I had a great time at the hang. The place was beautiful but the people made it special. Thank you, JBRanger and ChickenWing (and anyone else) for promoting such a good cause.

I know this is a family-minded forum, but I have to send a special shout-out to old4hats for the story of the woman who liked to open her front door wearing nothing but a pair of her daughter's panties - on her head!

I'm still trying to rid that image from my mind...

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Looks like a grand time was had by all! I hope to join you one of these years.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Trip Report-GA April 5,6,7 2013 Burrel's Ford, SC "Hang Out for a Cure"

Looks like you folks had a great hang. We had a group hanging here in Florida this weekend also, but we didn't see any waterfalls like joanwest's beautiful photo!

Snaggletooth! I can't wait to see her post in the "What does you HF screen name mean" thread!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I am JEALOUS! Couldn't make this one due to recovery from rotator cuff surgery, but I am gonna be back in the saddle soon!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast