Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope

The easy DO-IT-YOURSELF hanging your hammock secret!

Amigos!

There is a Brazilian way to hang a hammock that is of NO COST! All you need is a rope! No hooks no crooks...see the 3 methods that are shown in the video. The Brazilian way! Brazil has so much to offer and I am here to share them with you! Check out the video! Tell me what you think!

Did you know July 22nd is Hammock Day!?

A study conducted by a team of Swiss researchers .... found that a swinging motion synchronizes brain waves, allowing people to doze off faster and attain a deeper state of sleep.

There is so much about Hammocks that they Rock our World!

Last edited by Denis Bailey; 04-09-2013 at 20:51. Reason: Trying to get the Youtube video embedded in the message...a little help?

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    I like your enthusiasm Dennis. Your video is well thought out and the production values kept it interesting too.

Most of the folks here on HF use tree straps instead of ropes - as I learned early on. Seems ropes can damage the cambium below a tree's bark. So, I hope you will consider reviewing one or more of the Tree Strap methods for hanging a hammock and let us see your video after you tried that.

With all of the hammocking experience you have - I'd be interested in seeing your thoughts about things like poly tree straps, toggles, whoopie slings, and dutchware.

Man! That Brazilian hammock looks mighty comfortable! I may just have to get one of those....
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    Thank you for the compliments! To be honest I have never had contact with all this tree strap stuff! I have lived in Brazil pretty much all my life and this is what everyone pretty much uses in the interior of Brazil when there are no hooks available they hang them up in the house on the beams with rope. My knowledge is quite limited when it comes to the area of the modern technology! But I am always open and interested in learning new things...

I hate to do this because I don't want to appear like I am being a salesman or want to get something from you but I am starting up a e-zing (newsletter) and sending out new info and when ever I have a new video too! You can tell me what you think of my updates when I send them out and we can also keep in contact that way. I also am offering for the first 50th person to sign up Brazilian Coffee and the 1st 100th person a pair of Havaianas, Brazilian Flipflops! Check out the video here...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Loki took the words right out of my mouth - I like your enthusiasm. Great video.

As you spend more time on this site, you'll see a lot of different hanging methods, from Amsteel Whoopie Slings to straps to rope. Good luck.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Silny
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Denis, great video! I look forward to watching more!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Seems ropes can damage the cambium below a tree's bark.

Man! That Brazilian hammock looks mighty comfortable! I may just have to get one of those....
    Hey Loki!

Do you (or anyone else) know where I can read the research studies about cambium damage?

I don't mean to be rude, but I am not one to believe something just because many people repeat it. I seek the source. I would be very interested in reading those studies.

Last year I spent nearly 1/3rd of the year in my hammock using rope around the trees without any noticeable damage. If it turns out that the cambium damage claim is valid, I will gladly change my suspension system.

Thanks!

[P.S. I just finished reading a forum thread dedicated to research on cambium damage, and the results seem to be that a sawing motion, or weight of 1000+ lbs around a cinched line would be needed to damage the cambium on most trees with thick bark (thin-bark trees do seem susceptible to this kind of damage from less weight tho). Still looking, but not finding anything yet that would indicate a need for me to use something other than rope.]

[P.P.S. I also have a Brazilian hammock. It's nice and wide. ]
    Last edited by Demitri; 04-09-2013 at 21:23. Reason: Added post script

Hammock
    Diy 1.1 DL - Diy 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Diy Silnylon,
    Insulation
    SB con to UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Demitri View Post

Hey Loki!

Do you (or anyone else) know where I can read the research studies about cambium damage?

I don't mean to be rude, but I am not one to believe something just because many people repeat it. I seek the source. I would be very interested in reading those studies.

Last year I spent nearly 1/3rd of the year in my hammock using rope around the trees without any noticeable damage. If it turns out that the cambium damage claim is valid, I will gladly change my suspension system.

Thanks!
    there is a website called treebuzz those guys there are arborist and they talk about it

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showfl...77&an=0&page=0

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Silny
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin96 View Post
    there is a website called treebuzz those guys there are arborist and they talk about it

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showfl...77&an=0&page=0
    Thanks Taliesin, that was the forum I just read (as well as a couple things that forum linked to). Seems they set climbing ropes that sometimes saw their way thru the outer bark as they climb and descend repeatedly (as many as 175+ people in a single day on the same tree with the same setting according to one poster there).

I have yet to see how hanging a hammock with rope would do that kind of damage. I know we use rope and haven't yet seen damage to the outer bark, not to mention the cambium layer protected by it.

Still looking tho. Thanks for the link and helping me find solid info on this, it is very appreciated!

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images

Hey Loki!

Hey Demitri!

Asking questions is a good thing

One of my relatives strung a hammock on a large oak tree and left it there all the time. They noticed dark depressed rings around the bark within a year - so they took it down. That was two years ago and the damage is still visible. I showed them tree straps this year and they are going to give it a try - time will tell. In their case, it may be that leaving the suspension attached all the time was the issue.

The issue may have more to do with tree species and frequency of use - think heavily used campsite.

I will let folks who are smarter than me and know more about trees provide details on potential cambium damage from ropes vs tree straps. I just know straps are a standard for most around the HF forums and they weigh a lot less than ropes too- so wanted to see if you would review them sometime.

Here are a few links on the topic while we wait for the experts to add to this thread:

Permission or Forgiveness
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=48886

Saving the trees
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=12531

Tree Damage http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59601

Leave No Trace and Hammocks
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25834

Tree bark damage? http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22744

Made a Super Nano http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36797

winter hammocking for noobs http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=56951
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The root problem is force/unit area.

Part of the issue is also the rope in question. The ~1/2 in soft rope in the video will flatten out and spread the load over a much larger area than something like 7/64 in amsteel. I expect the material the amsteel is made out of will also cut the bark more readly than any vegetable fiber and most round extruded synthetics.

The second issue is hang angle. Brazilians are designed to be used with a fairly good hang angle thus reducing the stress on the tree. There are discussion threads about that if you look.

A third issue is tree size. Smaller trees have shorter load bearing areas to distribute the force over.

A fourth issue is dead wood does not care. Hanging off a wall, post, or beam does not hurt wood that is already dead... ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks Taliesin, that was the forum I just read (as well as a couple things that forum linked to). Seems they set climbing ropes that sometimes saw their way thru the outer bark as they climb and descend repeatedly (as many as 175+ people in a single day on the same tree with the same setting according to one poster there).

I have yet to see how hanging a hammock with rope would do that kind of damage. I know we use rope and haven't yet seen damage to the outer bark, not to mention the cambium layer protected by it.

Still looking tho. Thanks for the link and helping me find solid info on this, it is very appreciated!
    Part of the issue is perception. As a community we show ourselves to be conscious of the potential damage and use gear to mitigate it. This is a good thing so show people who manage our wooded areas so they do no automatically make it illegal to use hammocks.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast