Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Tarp Construction

I am just getting into the hammock world and enjoy making my own equipment. I was looking at the winter tarp pattern and wondered if anyone had made one with two different fabrics. I was thinking of making one with a 60" section of waterproof nylon sitting lengthwise on the ridgeline. And using a lighter weight nylon to finish out the width.
    I know it would involve more sewing. But I was wondering if the seam on the ridgeline added strength on that area against the tension. With no seam the chances of a leak in that area are decreased, the seam that could leak is 28" down the side.
    On another note I spoke to our boat cover maker (I work in a boat shop) and asked him about sewing ripstop nylon. He gave me a roll of seam tape that he uses. I is basically a double sick tape that goes between the layers and holds it place. It also keeps it from bunching as much. Has anyone else used it?
    Thanks
    Kaycee

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    One of the nicest tarps I've seen was for sale by Streamline. That design is next on my list after the Lazy Slug.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Why thank you SnrMoment You made me blush a little.

I don't think I will ever go back to having a seam along the ridge line. The curve created in the hang is more natural, the water is less likely to leak through the side seem due to water running down and over versus sitting on the seam. It is a bit more sewing, but not much and I honestly find it easier due to the seam being shorter and the fabric width on one side being smaller.

Getting ready to work on a new tarp with a slightly different design. Dark grey on light grey with red threading. Can't wait to start on it.

I have avoided the used of adhesive tapes, mainly building on the comments of others. The adhesive will gum up the sewing machine, or so it has been said and I don't want to test it out.

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ & EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Thank you Streamline that is what I wanted to know. I have some Digital Camo and Sage green to use. So we will see what happens!

Tarp Construction

My Kelty tarp has a similar two tone construction. I'm considering doing the same for my future DIY tarp. I like the idea of a darker center for better shade for afternoon naps and lighter sides so it won't be too dark when I need to look around. The two tones also look more aesthically pleasing than a solid block of color.

I'm planning same idea for a UQ protector. Coated in middle, breathable pn sides.

Also I've tried the seam tape back when I used to make stunt kites. But had same issues of gum up on the needles. You could use it for first row of stitches and not sew through it, then pull it off to complete the seam. Might be good for hold a long section together. I don't like using pins.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    Why thank you SnrMoment You made me blush a little.

I don't think I will ever go back to having a seam along the ridge line. The curve created in the hang is more natural, the water is less likely to leak through the side seem due to water running down and over versus sitting on the seam. It is a bit more sewing, but not much and I honestly find it easier due to the seam being shorter and the fabric width on one side being smaller.

Getting ready to work on a new tarp with a slightly different design. Dark grey on light grey with red threading. Can't wait to start on it.

I have avoided the used of adhesive tapes, mainly building on the comments of others. The adhesive will gum up the sewing machine, or so it has been said and I don't want to test it out.
    Streamline,

That's a great looking tarp! What were the dimensions? Did you use a continuous ridgeline with it or use separate lines at each end?

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    116" at widest 96" in the apex of the cat curve x 140" long.

I do a continuous ridgeline and run it above or under according to the coverage needed. Under provides a bit more.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Foam
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Streamline, Is that tarp wider at one end like the arrowhead shangri-la? I really like the looks of yours, and it appears to be constructed that way. If it is wider one one end, do you think that worked out well? It seems like you might be able to make efficient use of fabric that way with the seam on the sides. It also seems like it would give you good coverage at the head of the hammock where it's needed, And a good view out the other side

Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    116" at widest 96" in the apex of the cat curve x 140" long.

I do a continuous ridgeline and run it above or under according to the coverage needed. Under provides a bit more.

• + New Posts