Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Reflectix = Invaluable

Yeah it looks like the correct type of stuff, I have some that is branded 'thermawrap', it's the easiest reflectix equivalent to find in the UK and it works great, as does the thermawrap aluminium tape. The stuff you found is much less expensive

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    Vapor barrier warning here!
    I use a piece of Reflectix inside a post office Tyvek envelope as a sitpad and at night I put this Reflectix in between the hammock layers in the footbox area. I almost always have moisture on the Reflectix in the morning.
    I am going with my SB in the hammock tonight on top of the reflector as a test. It's pretty dewy tonight so if moisture was going to be an issue I'll find out tonight. I'm working on an idea to make an UQ from an old sleeping bag, double layered with the reflector between the layers. What do you think?

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goanywhere View Post
    I am going with my SB in the hammock tonight on top of the reflector as a test. It's pretty dewy tonight so if moisture was going to be an issue I'll find out tonight. I'm working on an idea to make an UQ from an old sleeping bag, double layered with the reflector between the layers. What do you think?
    I'm thinking we'll find out in the morning!
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Another reflectix question.... if you put it inside your backpack, against your back (where I normally carry a small foam sit pad), won't it make your back extra hot?
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WB Traveller
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Leighlo and Incb.
    Suspension
    WS
    Plus, a cozy makes freeze dried food edible.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I've slept both directly on the Reflectix in a SB and with it slipped between two layers of a PLUQ. I've napped directly on it with no SB. I haven't had any moisture issues so far but YMMV. The only time I've had moisture issues with a pad in general is if the ground is wet - then the bottom of my hammock gets soaked with condensation.

Edit: And my guess is that if it's against your back, you will have a sweaty back very quickly.
    Last edited by Datahiker; 05-23-2013 at 12:46.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    Another reflectix question.... if you put it inside your backpack, against your back (where I normally carry a small foam sit pad), won't it make your back extra hot?
    Guess it depends on your pack. That is where I kept mine this past weekend. I felt no heat, but but it was on the other side of the pack's padding, stays and water bladder. I guess if there was nothing but your shirt and pack material between your back and the Reflectix then it could radiate some heat. It most definitely would cause some condensation since it does not breathe at all.

Like a lot of others here, I have a Refelctix cozy on my IMUSA pot as well as a one for my quart sized freezer bags that I do a lot of cooking/rehydrating in. I am thinking of experimenting with it in between the layers of my PLUQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    I used my pad as a frame for my frame less GoLite pack. And yes, my back got really hot. Next time I am going to roll it up and hang it off the pack and see if that makes a difference.

Also, no one mentioned, this stuff makes for a great food cozy. I do freezer bag cooking and it works perfectly.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    I'm thinking we'll find out in the morning!
    Ok, here's the report. I set up the hammock between two posts on my back verrandah, which were quite smooth. But with a couple of clove hitches I had that sorted. I set up the hammock and my army hootchie over that, which was essential as there was already quite a bit of dew on the ground at 7:00pm. The temperature was about 12 deg C when I was ready to hit the hay.

I placed my reflective screen in the hammock and jumped in with my sleeping bag. The bag is a syntetic square-foot bag rated at -5C, which is the extreme rating. I think the comfort rating is about 0C.

At first the reflective screen was enough and I was quite cozy, but at about midnight I woke up with a freezing butt and shoulders. I was forced inside, where I got a self-inflating mat to add to the mix. That certainly fixed it, and I was nice and warm for the rest of the night. It got down to 5C (41F).

I took awhile to get used to sleeping in the hammock, and couldn't shake the feeling that everything was going to give way and collapse any second. It seemed difficult to move around to adjust my position without feeling like I was tempting fate, and with the self-inflating mat and the reflective pad not wanting to stay put I had a bit of a job to keep everything in place. A couple of times when I was struggling to straighten everything out and get into a good position one of the ropes slipped just just a bit, with a bit of a noise. I must admit I was even more careful not to move too aggressively after that. I'll put that all down to noob nerves, and I don't think I'll take long to get over that once I have confidence in my suspension and the hammock's strength.

Overall my impressions were that hammock hanging can be very comfortable, but the more stuff you have in the hammock itself the more of a struggle it is to get everything in the right position. I will try the setup a few times in the next few weeks to get used to it, but I have ordered a USMC poncho liner I found on ebay at a good price. I intend to rig that up as a PLUQ and put the reflective screen between the layers for extra insulation. That should make life much easier and more comfortable.

The hammock itself is very light parachute material, surprisingly strong, and is not a bad size for me (5'6" medium build), but I think at some stage I will upgrade to a different design. I'll use this one for now until I have a good idea of what I might want in v2.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a good trial. Did you get much moisture?
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast