Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelToe View Post
    For the record, it looks like Reddin Marine has the best deal on Amsteel, as well as a discount code for forum members. That extra bit of service deserves a shoutout . 40$ for 100ft of 1/8" Amsteel (black--everything must be black) shipped.

TCB
    *I need to remember to not do anything stupid like try to break the stuff by hand when it shows up (I still have a scar from trying to do so with some fishing line )
    Actually, www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com has it for .36/foot, but what's a few dollars

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    Does that include shipping? For some reason I didn't see it on BWDD, otherwise I'd have bought there since I've enjoyed their service in the past.

Are loop/end splices the only way to terminate these cords? The hammock will have a closed-loop suspension holding up the perimeter, and a structural ridgeline up top, both of which will have spliced ends. But the cables holding the legs/arms up will be simple short sections, and will need something at the ends to keep the cord from fraying.

TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    My orders arrived today--much faster than I was expecting . My webbing from Strapworks smells suspiciously of fried chicken...

I must say I was a bit unimpressed with the 1/8" Amsteel; somehow I had come to expect a faint aura-glow and chorus song from the miracle fiber, but it was just rope . The only thing "special" I can tell about it is it seems to have a low specific heat (i.e. it's cool to the touch) which is kind of weird for a polymer. The tubular polyester webbing is, well, tubular polyester webbing.

Hopefully I'll get a section or two of this stuff sewn in place before the weekend. My plan is to sew ~1/2" of the 1" webbing to the edge seam of the hammock panel(s) with more rows of stitching than is probably necessary. I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should leave enough strap excess at the ends for tying to the Amsteel (in lieu of, or in addition to sewing the cordage in place).

Thanks for the advice, guys; hopefully I'll have some "progress" photos here in a bit

Semi-unrelated question: has anyone used Amsteel left-overs for bootlaces? The diameter and hand of the cable seems similar to braided nylon, but I know it's way stronger. It'd be kind of a waste of the material's capabilities, but the stuff seems like it would hold up longer and stretch much less.

TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12