DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    subbing to watch this as well. I'm not too far from you guys and depending on where it is, might be easier for me to make this than the TN ones.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    where did you guys hang from everything i could find the backcountry sites which is were I am guessing you guys hung is limeted to 6 people max at deSoto and 8 at cheaha so were did you guys hang and both would be good for me. Plus the whole reason this was posted was from a post by Robjae and he suggested Cathedral Caverns and he also contacted them and they said hammocks were fine as long as no damage was done to the trees.
    We have just hung right there in Turnipseed. You can drive right in and park, more of the car camping style. We have parked in the parking lot on 281, outside Turnipseed, about 2 miles down from the State Park entrance, and hike in on the Chinnabee, through Turnipseed camp, and camped along the stream at the base of the trail that goes up to the Pinhoti. We did this in December when Turnipseed is "officially" closed, but the ranger said we were fine as long as we were outside of the camp proper.

There is also a nice place for hanging if you hike in across the road from Turnipseed, on the Chinabee, towards Cheaha Shelter and the falls. It's a nice big open area with lots of trees just before crossing the stream and going up the hill to the shelter.

Now, I have only hung in the Turnipseed are, and I am sure there are other spots just as nice, or nicer, so don't think I am dead set on Turnipseed...just sharing what I have done. Besides, depending on the date, I may not be able to make it anyway. The Cheaha area is a great place to hang though!
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Count me in, pending the dates.

For a crowd, Turnipseed is hard to beat. But, we've done that several times. Pine Glen on the Pinhoti north of I-20 might be an option?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I really hope the date fits my schedule, would love to have another get together you you guys...it's been a while since I have enjoyed a good hammock hang.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Depending on when and how we get this set up Buck's Pocket would be good. The scouts have used it several times and they allow asmany as you can hang in the primitive area. Only problem is it is first come first served and they allow no reservations so would have to have some people up there to reserve the trees as it were. At any rate depending on place and time my family is in.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Digital Camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah tarp 12
    Insulation
    Grapenut Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    We have just hung right there in Turnipseed. You can drive right in and park, more of the car camping style. We have parked in the parking lot on 281, outside Turnipseed, about 2 miles down from the State Park entrance, and hike in on the Chinnabee, through Turnipseed camp, and camped along the stream at the base of the trail that goes up to the Pinhoti. We did this in December when Turnipseed is "officially" closed, but the ranger said we were fine as long as we were outside of the camp proper.

There is also a nice place for hanging if you hike in across the road from Turnipseed, on the Chinabee, towards Cheaha Shelter and the falls. It's a nice big open area with lots of trees just before crossing the stream and going up the hill to the shelter.

Now, I have only hung in the Turnipseed are, and I am sure there are other spots just as nice, or nicer, so don't think I am dead set on Turnipseed...just sharing what I have done. Besides, depending on the date, I may not be able to make it anyway. The Cheaha area is a great place to hang though!
    Alright guys I like the place aboyd is talking about that is across from turnipseed on the chinabee toward cheaha Shelter and the falls. looks like the best place for the hang if all else fail turnipseed is right around the corner. What dates are you guys thinking I am thinking May 24-26. let me know what you guys think about the dates we can shuffle them back if we need to.
    "If there is a problem duct tape"

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Re: AL hang

That weekend might just work out good. Was thinking of doing some hiking up there with my son in that time frame to prepare for a possible trip to hike the Art Loeb Trail this summer. Might be a good chance to test our legs.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    No scouting conflicts here. Will have to check to be sure but looks good.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Just so everyone knows, the spot I described is a further walk than Turnipseed. With Turnipseed, you can drive right up and park...or walk in from the road parking lot, maybe 1/4 mile. The other spot is maybe a mile, maybe a little further, from the parking on the road. I am fine with either spot...but have not been over to the are close to the Cheaha shelter in maybe a year, so just wanted to be up front with this, in case it turns out not to be the best choice. We always have Turnipseed as a fall back, but the other spot looked really nice the last time I hiked through there.

Attached are a couple of pics from December 2010. Shows plenty of trees and the creek.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Digital Camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah tarp 12
    Insulation
    Grapenut Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Just so everyone knows, the spot I described is a further walk than Turnipseed. With Turnipseed, you can drive right up and park...or walk in from the road parking lot, maybe 1/4 mile. The other spot is maybe a mile, maybe a little further, from the parking on the road. I am fine with either spot...but have not been over to the are close to the Cheaha shelter in maybe a year, so just wanted to be up front with this, in case it turns out not to be the best choice. We always have Turnipseed as a fall back, but the other spot looked really nice the last time I hiked through there.

Attached are a couple of pics from December 2010. Shows plenty of trees and the creek.
    That is exactly what I was thinking let try for this new place and we always have turnipseed to fall back on.
    "If there is a problem duct tape"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast