Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Grayson Highlands/Mt. Rogers advice

Hey guys.

I'm toying with trying to get the buddies together and do a trip this June but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I can pull up the area on Google and see the trails, but can't see the names except the AT.

I can see an odd shaped loop that comes out of Grayson, spurs off NW to Mt. Rogers and then doubles back to the AT and follows it for sometime before dropping back down south towards Grayson highlands.

Does this loop have a formal name?

Doing some quick tracing in Google Earth it looks like its something like ~16 miles.

Anyone have an idea of how long it takes to complete?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I'm on way to work right now, can pull up details when I get home. But a decent map of the area is attached to the Mt Rogers Hangout planning forums. Sorry, got to rush out door.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

this map may help you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    I've done Dickies Gap to Damascus on AT and last part Creeper Trail. It was an awesome hike. First night Old Orchard,2nd night Thomas Knob, and 3rd night Lost MT. BigRed77

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    It's beautiful country, relax and enjoy all it has to offer. If you leave from the Backpacker's Parking Lot at Massie Gap, 2 days with an overnight somewhere would be nice. Mix and match some other trails and you have a fine multi-day adventure. Plenty of spots to hang. Water should be ok, can start to get scarce in July, especially up high. Thomas Knob water source can be a trickle, but even there I've always had enough to carry me through. Watch the weather, it can be cool in the storms. I left Damascus last July in 95 degree heat, stepped on the trail at 62 with rain/wind. Not bad unless unprepared. And of course, enjoy the ponies. My kids always loved that part best.

Images
    Dropped by REI today and got the Nat Geo map and a book on the VA highlands.

Lets rephrase the question.

What are the must see trail sections up there?

I kind of feel obligated to bag Mt. Rogers since I'm right there, but I understand it has no views itself. Maybe a good place to hang the first night?

I'm used to Uwharrie and Linville gorge which means most of the time you only see trees around you. The vistas the go on for miles sound great.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    2 years ago we did
    AT Spur to AT, AT to Crest Trail
    Crest Trail to Scales
    Scales via Virginia Highlands to Wilson Creek
    Wilson Creek to AT and then back to Spur then back to the car at Massie.
    It was an easy hike overall and you know how scenic it was.
    The beauty of Greyson and Mt.Rogers RA is that there are so many loop possibilities
    and you can leave your car relatively safely at Massie.

Images
    Was that an overnighter or two nights?

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Dropped by REI today and got the Nat Geo map and a book on the VA highlands.

Lets rephrase the question.

What are the must see trail sections up there?

I kind of feel obligated to bag Mt. Rogers since I'm right there, but I understand it has no views itself. Maybe a good place to hang the first night?

I'm used to Uwharrie and Linville gorge which means most of the time you only see trees around you. The vistas the go on for miles sound great.
    For BIG views, gotta take the Wilburn Ridge Trail. It purposefully takes you across the highest spots. Fun to rock hop up there. And you'll be crossing through prime pony country.
    As far as hanging goes, there is "no camping" on Mt. Rogers itself. However, a stay near Thomas Knob Shelter offers some cool, shaded, and if chosen well...secluded spots. Privey close by, and water, too. Mt. Rogers is just a short walk from there. Lots of Frasier Furs.
    Another area that offers some variety is the "Scales." It's all open grassy terrain, again with nice views. There's a real restroom there, that is...it's a block building. Wise Shelter is close by, so water again available.
    No matter where you choose, there are only beautiful spots at Grayson. hope you enjoy it!

Images
    I'm a little confused with Wilburn. Some of what I'm reading suggests that its the same exact trail as Rhododendron, but the Nat Geo map clearly shows them as separate.

Still have a lot of homework to do, but right now I'm thinking leave Massie gap north on Wilburn/Rodo to AT, turn west and summit Mt. Rogers. Top off the water at Knob shelter and then continue west to Mt. Rogers trail turning north on it and hopefully finding somewhere nice to camp.

From there work my way around east via Lewis Fork and Cest to Scales and kind of wing it from there.

If that takes a while, I may camp somewhere nearish Scales on my second night. If its early, I may do First Peak and Kabel trails. I'm thinking of packing for 3 nights and just going with the flow. If I'm worn out or sick of the weather I can easily bail early.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast