Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the heavier fabric will be stronger .... the doubles are generally up to twice as strong as their respective single layer (a thick pad causes the hammock to not distribute force perfectly evenly among the layers so it may not be exactly twice as strong with a thick air pad in there) ... if you got a double 1.1, it would hold a 300 pounder for a test drive, (take the thick air pad out for sure)
    WBG,

Good to know stuff.

1.1 double should be good for 300# - when new and no thick pad in the pocket. Weight limit drops with thick pad inserted.

1.1 single would be half that or 150#

1.7 double ought to be good for a bit over 300#,

I asked about the abrasion not so much from ground use - but wondering if you get many repairs or request about how to repair a hammock that got snagged while in transport or some other accident. Sounds like it doesn't happen much if at all.

Thanks,

David

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Shug spent time in NC.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hi David welcome to HF Its clearly important to you to get the right hammock for your needs.If you have not already? Why not ask Warbonnet of the Blackbird if you can purchase and try it out and in the unlikely event it does not agree with you he may accept it back.Im sure he mentioned terms similar to this recently.

Images
    yes, if you try for a week or 2 and don't like it, i'll take it back, no one has asked for their money back as of yet (knock on wood)

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Shug spent time in NC.
    Yep - I discovered that an hour or two later when I watched another of his youtube videos and actually read some of the comments and saw a reply from him stating that he was from N.C. - must be brain freeze that gets a southern boy out in -26 degree wx over night though.

I have a friend, Scooterbob, whose real name is Greg, formerly of Scooterbob's Eurobike - who recently moved to Faribault , Mn. to work for Enfield motorcycles who could likely use his cold wx tips.

Don't know how big a fellow Shug is - but I think he has a 1.1 single layer Blackbird and it apparently supports him OK.
    Last edited by DavidWa; 02-14-2009 at 23:20.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yes, if you try for a week or 2 and don't like it, i'll take it back, no one has asked for their money back as of yet (knock on wood)
    I'll certainly keep that in mind in making my decision - no need to rush too quickly like I was deciding on a stimulus bill though - but at least I've learned much about the details of this design. Currently working on getting my money back from a video camera I decided wasn't flexible enough for my needs. That ought to free up the cash.

I believe I read one of your post recently that stated that lead time to send orders are also running about two weeks.

Anyway - thanks to all for input about the Blackbird hammock - all useful info to think about toward making a decision.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler XL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post

A second mystery - I've located several pictures of Blackbird hammocks. They are all either green , mint green or grey. Yours is the only black Blackbird I've seen. How'd that happen?
    ( Or - Could black fabric personal items be the double super secret sign used by the secret northern grit eating cult members to recognize one another? )

David
    Yay, I get to actually help and answer a question! I believe that the 1.1 was at first black but was switched to the grey. Maybe Brandon couldn't get the black anymore.

I got to try out the Blackbird today thanks to Headchange4u. I also tried out a Hennessey and one more that I can't remember the name of. The experience sealed the deal on the Blackbird. It's soooo roomy compared with the other hammocks. The footbox is great and I loved the shelf. The quality was top notch.

The BB I tried had the 1.1 on the inside. I liked the 1.1 because the slickness might make it easier to slide around in the hammock. Like if you need to go from back to side. The taffeta does seem like it would be more durable, but then again, it's not ripstop.

I'm leaning towards the taffeta because I like the color and durability better and don't mind the extra weight all that much since I'm a 2-3 day at most backpacker. If I change my mind and want something lighter I can always get the 1.1 later.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    Yep - I discovered that an hour or two later when I watched another of his youtube videos and actually read some of the comments and saw a reply from him stating that he was from N.C. - must be brain freeze that gets a southern boy out in -26 degree wx over night though.

I have a friend, Scooterbob, whose real name is Greg, formerly of Scooterbob's Eurobike - who recently moved to Faribault , Mn. to work for Enfield motorcycles who could likely use his cold wx tips.

Don't know how big a fellow Shug is - but I think he has a 1.1 single layer Blackbird and it apparently supports him OK.
    Born in N. Ireland .... a year in Enoree, SC (Dad's hometown), Several years in Shelby, NC, Charlotte, NC from 4th grade until I left for my Circus life.
    They like Cheese Grits up here but mainly in Wisconsin.
    Me, 6' ... 185lbs.
    Over and Out and All Secure and Gritty in Sector Seven,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

HH knot is used by some!

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    The Hennessy relies on rope passed through straps (or biners) then wrapped in figure 8s around itself. The rope was sticky enough to hold without a knot every time I used it. The rope with shorter straps is very likely lighter than the suspension on the Blackbird, but to adjust you have to take the whole thing apart and rewrap the "knot".
    At the risk of being branded a heretic, I seem to be one of the few who still uses the original HH figure-8 knot. No ringbuckles, nuthin.

You don't actually have to re-wrap the whole knot. What I do is I initially rig my HH with ONLY TWO WRAPS of the figure-8. This is enough to hold the hammock in place and put a little weight on the center point to check my hang height. I then adjust the length of the two ends to get the spacing right - I like to hang with my foot end slightly closer to the tree to make sure my feet are elevated. Adjusting with only 2 hitch wraps is fast and easy. When I have everything the way I like it, I go ahead and finish both ends with 6-8 wraps.

Why do I persist in this hitch madness? As a lifelong engineer, I love simplicity. "The more bells and whistles a system has, the more noise it makes when it breaks". The HH hitch has never failed me, saves ounces, works in the rain, snow, ice and extreme cold including the -26* of the hike Shug and I did together.

One thing I insist on is the ability to work the system when my fingers are numb from cold. Once the suspension line is threaded through the tree huggers, I can work an HH knot with heavy gloves on.

Anyway, just wanted to point out there are a few of us that use the stock approach.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    At the risk of being branded a heretic, I seem to be one of the few who still uses the original HH figure-8 knot. No ringbuckles, nuthin. --Kurt
    Heretic, naa. Anyone who gets out at -26* can hang their hammock any way they want!

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Anyway, just wanted to point out there are a few of us that use the stock approach.--Kurt
    I still have a HH with the stock ropes attached...I sometimes set it up and show/tell my kids about "the ol' days where we have to tie knots to keep our hammocks in the air..."
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast