Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Images
    There is no reason I can see why you can't go to ground with about every hammock out there. It is just a matter of using your poles, or preferably some trees or bushes that are nearby but not stout enough for hanging body weight from, to attache your tarp to. Then put down a pad, a ground cloth or both. Then you can sleep under the tarp as though you are a regular old ground dweller.

Then if you want some additional bivy like protection, add your hammock of whatever kind, bottom entry or top entry. Just tie it to the same thing you already have your tarp tied to. I have found some of the hammocks to be somewhat water resistant/DWR, though not waterproof. As they are breathable. ( unless you are using a HH Super Shelter, which is waterproof and non-breathable) So that will add at least a bit of extra wind and wind blown spray/snow protection from whatever might blow under your tarp.

If your hammock has a net and/or over cover, that will provide some additional bivy like features. First of all, it will help keep the bugs off of you. It will also some what decrease the amount of spray or snow that can come down on your face and down bag, and add a few degrees of warmth. Evey little bit helps, as long as you don't go over board with waterproofing or restricting air flow and actually cause condensation inside the hammock.

But it seems to me that other than accounting for the net, it should be close to six of one, a half dozen of the other as far as which one works best on the ground. They should all work assuming adequate tarp coverage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

I've had the webbing catch in the tri-rings a couple of times, but the same with the rings. A quick sit in the hammock to load the webbing and you get the slack you need to release the webbing. Out of probably 30 or 40 hangs with the tri-rings, I think they've 'stuck' 2 or 3 times. I can live with that.
    I have tended to hang the BB hammock a bit looser recently, more in line with what I think Brandon was saying in the instruction sheet. So that sometimes when I sit in it, there is some slack in the RL, which tightens up adequately once I lay down, for some reason.

Anyway, with a looser pitch to start with, there is always a little slack that I can pull on from the hammock end(pulling the hammock towards the tree), removing all tension from the triangle rings. Which makes readjustment pretty easy. Sometimes I have to first "push" the webbing back through the rings to get the rings to release their grip.

Same thing with the triglides and cinch buckle- the key to easy readjustment is to remove all tension from the buckle. Of course, I realize this might be more difficult if you are pulling a ridgeline tight to start with. Then you are probably going to have to weight the hammock to loosen things up a bit.

This ( triangle buckle) is my favorite overall suspension set up, though my JRB triglides and my good old cinch buckle modification are very close. Or some times I chuck it all and just do a quick round turn with half hitch. Then even if I don't have some sort of adjustable buckle, it is still pretty darn quick to untie and adjust if needed.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by sir White Wolf View Post
    The Best thing I have found about this Forum is (other than the great feed back to any question)
    I have yet to see any one get BLAZED for there opinion.....
    From my view another great thing about hammockforums is the presence of vendors on the forum providing quick interaction and feedback between users and makers of the products.

Something which is strictly verboten on other forums I read. Make the mistake of posting there when you also happen to make your living providing products for that interest and you'll soon be hounded off the board by the hardcore regular posters there. Sure no one wants their forum flooded with post which are 'buy from me today only special price' . But that was mostly not the case with most of the post I've seen there and not the case here. So it a refreshing thing here to have that interaction.

David

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    man I gotta get one of these things.I NEED A SIDE JOB MAN

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Best description of "stealth hanging" I've read!

Also, thank you for your service, submariner!

I .. worked with submarines .. doing secret things ....
    Well, thanks . I was concerned it would be considered as the definition of an anti-social loner.

Best book I ever read about what went on with submarines during the cold war is ' Blind Man's Bluff'. It answered some mysteries about odd things I saw connected to submarines at the sub base in Pearl Harbor. As well as why some of my crew mates received awards for things they had done on subs they were stationed on prior to joining the crew of sub I was on. Best sub movie I ever saw is "Das Boote" this impression I think was helped because the first time I saw it was on the big screen in a theater . I highly recommend both of the above media.

By the time I arrived 'hot-bunking' , wherein two guys share the same bunk, one guys on watch while the other sleeps, was no longer permitted. ( if you know what to watch for there's an unmistable reference to this in Das Boote)

A load of hammocks could have serviced nicely for those times when there were more people on board that bunks. I guess no one thought about hammocks then. A hammock could be the perfect submarine product where space is at a premium a hammock would have been the prefect efficient user of available space. Maybe the fabric technology wasn't quite ready at that time.

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    david,
    @175#, a double layer 1.1 would be plenty for you, .. you won't get much of a difference in lay by going heavier than the dl1.1 not at you're weight...
    the 1.7 is a little slicker material since it's taffeta rather than ripstop, ....
    Alright - almost getting the fabric choice understood. But not quit done yet.

1.7 oz is Taffeta, 1.1 oz is parachute ripstop - some difference in feel but maybe not a lot different. But what about other characteristics?

200 pounds seems to be the agreed upon threshold between the two weights of fabric as far as how much the fabric stretches. If over 200 pounds then buy a 1.7 fabric weight hammock to reduce the amount of stretch.

But - Do the two fabric weights get the same maximum supported weight rating?

Are Single layer and double layer hammocks maximum supported weight rating the same?

I suspect that they are since the layers aren't sewn together along all four sides nor stitched through the middle. - sorry I couldn't find or did not see maximum weight ratings for the hammocks on the web site.

IOW - do both have fabrics have the same weight rating to failure? But just a different elasticity or stretch?

Why am I asking this ? - well round these parts I don't see any Clarks, Claytor, DDs, Hennesseys, Speers , Warbonnets or what have you. ENO at the local Gander Mtn is about it. So I'm figuring that if I show up somewhere in the daylight and string this thing up there's going be some big fellah want to get in. Try it out. Ok , I'm 175#s, I ordered a 1.1 cause it ought to be ok for me - but mr big fellah looks 300# maybe more . Do I say 'go ahead giv er'a try' or do I say 'hold on there big guy, not in my my BB'.

The term ripstop I am familiar with. Not sure I know what taffeta is. I'll figure that out myself.

Last question:
    In use - have you experienced any major difference between the 2 fabrics in regard to abrasion resistance? Or puncture resistance ? Probably a bit different from one another.

Hopefully the answers to these questions will about do it all for me about the BB and be as far as it can go with out first hand experience with one. Just one more mystery do solve but that will be in a separate post.

David

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll let one of the fabric gurus answer most of your questions, but about this:
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidWa View Post
    So I'm figuring that if I show up somewhere in the daylight and string this thing up there's going be some big fellah want to get in. Try it out. Ok , I'm 175#s, I ordered a 1.1 cause it ought to be ok for me - but mr big fellah looks 300# maybe more . Do I say 'go ahead giv er'a try' or do I say 'hold on there big guy, not in my my BB'.
    No means no! It's your bed, your shelter, and your friend. Do you really want to risk it being damaged by a stranger? A resounding NO! I've only said no to one person because I was worried they were too big. If they really want to try it they can try my TrekLight Double, it'll take the load. But, my go-to hammock designed to be lightweight (as possible), heck no they ain't gettin in it! But, I'll gladly give them warbonnetguy's email address and they can order their own.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Funny, but I'm camping right now in our RV. The HH is hung behind us. I was laying there reading and relaxing earlier today when my friend came up. She said "that really looks comfortable". I told her it was. She stood there like she'd like to try it, but I didn't offer, because I know she's well over 200 and I didn't want to take a chance. I'm glad she didn't ask, because I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings.

Images
    the heavier fabric will be stronger and more durable over the long haul. the doubles are generally up to twice as strong as their respective single layer (a thick pad causes the hammock to not distribute force perfectly evenly among the layers so it may not be exactly twice as strong with a thick air pad in there) but the double layer does split the load between the 2 layers, and that's why it stretches less and provides a flatter lay. so it can handle alot more weight than it's single counterpart. if you got a double 1.1, it would hold a 300 pounder for a test drive, (take the thick air pad out for sure) i wouldn't let someone over 300 in there just to be safe, and i wouldn't let someone 300# in either of the singles. my reccomendations are based on what will feel the most comfortable for sleeping in, the actual amount they can handle is a good bit higher.

the heavier fabric (1.7) is probably going to be more abrasion resistent since it's thicker. you don't need to let any abrasion occur period, it hangs in the air, so there should be none, if used on the ground, use a groundcloth for sure. taffeta is like the eno's are made of, theirs is heavier per square yard, but the weave is basically the same (ripstop without the grid) same texture (slick)

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That paragraph says it all. That there is your reason to just go ahead and jump into hanging and never look back! You will be comfortable in the woods. What else is there?
    Shug
    Shug,
    Perhaps good advice about hammocking . However...

What else is there? Why the answer to a mystery of course.

Really enjoy your youtube videos. But in one or more of them what I hear you say is something about eating grits. Therein lays a mystery.

Do northern boys really eat grits?

I don't think so. Maybe be a southern boy who moved north that would eat grits. But then again they wouldn't be camping outside inside a fabric shelter in -26 degree weather. Maybe it's a language thing and I've misunderstood the video and you really didn't say the g-word. I guess I could go see "New In Town" again to brush up on the Mn accent. The Hollywood version of it at least.

On another forum I was once asked to describe where I live. My response was to say far enough north not to like grits yet far enough south to like corn bread. So Mn. + grits errors out in my mind. I've been in or though Mn. several times and don't recall seeing nor hearing about grits. Perhaps an underground cult of grit eaters exist up there. And you've messed up by letting the outside world know of this previous secret. You could be in danger in sector seven.

A second mystery - I've located several pictures of Blackbird hammocks. They are all either green , mint green or grey. Yours is the only black Blackbird I've seen. How'd that happen?
    ( Or - Could black fabric personal items be the double super secret sign used by the secret northern grit eating cult members to recognize one another? )

FWIW - I've started to realize I ought not fret to much about the hammock. I'm learning its going to be the least costly part of a hammock camping set up. The tarp, quilt ,pads , shields are going to add up $s faster than the hammock chosen . But will have the advantage of being transferable and usable with another hammock. I guess the worry is that I will find a hammock that says " now this is really comfortable " that will trigger or compel the greater spending on the more expensive accessories needed to go with it and carried along with it.

anyway - thanks for the encouragement.

David

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast