BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I would undo larkshead on the silver S hook, get rid of the S hook and do the slipped sheet bend like in the video only the black webbing would be the black rope in your case.

Im having a hard time seeing how I need to thread/tie my black rope through the hammock end. It's about 1.5' I took it out and took off the s-hook.

Should I just thread it through and tie the ends together to make one big round rope?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ok I figured out the knot.

I did just slide the 1.5' piece of rope through the hammock end. Then I just grabbed the two ends and tied a knot with them a couple of inches in so now I have big loop thorugh the end of the hammock. Seems to be sturdy enough.

So I just slide the long strap through and tie the knot where I think the appropriate amount of sag would be?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    So I just slide the long strap through and tie the knot where I think the appropriate amount of sag would be?
    Yup, pretty much. When sliding it, pull it a little tighter than you think because you will get the length back when the knot tightens under load.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Newbie needs idea for hammock straps.

Hey thanks for everyone's help! Bubbas method using the slipped sheet knot was easiest as I didn't have to get more items. I went ahead a hacked the hooks off my tie down straps and replaced them with carabiners I had laying around. Little more secure than those hooks as someone above mentioned I figure I could still use them as ratcheting straps in my truck with the carabiners. They're also not that expensive.

As for nylon/stretching. I have no idea. It does feel like nylon but I use them to tie down very heavy machines in trailers. After a year or so of use they show no signs of stretch or fraying so I guess it's a good enough material to hang with. My bosses family owns a rope business. If I were to go to their warehouse for rope to use as suspension, what kind of rope is ideal for long term use?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Glad it is working for you!

With regards to what rope to use it depends. The popular choice around here is 7/64 inch Amsteel used for whoopie slings. It's a hollow braided rope made from Dyneema that is spliceable, non stretch, very strong yet small is size so it reduces bulk for the weight conscious backpackers. If you can get some, there are videos and pictorials on how to splice them into whoopie slings among other things (dog bones, soft shackles). Splicing is preferable to knots since Amsteel is slick and knots significantly reduce breaking strength. Whoopie slings can be bought from many vendors here if you don't want to do it yourself.

For fun and practice I have used climbing type rope at home. I like to try different sliding hitches but would not use the rope on a trip simply because of the heavier weight and bulk. In terms of breaking strength it is personal preference. Many people including me like a safety factor of 4 or 5 times your body weight to account for dynamic forces that can be applied to the suspension or if you set up closer to parallel than is ideal. The force on the suspension go up exponentially the closer the suspension is to horizontal. A 30 degrees is popular and recommended.
    Last edited by Bubba; 04-11-2013 at 05:58.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Glad it is working for you!

With regards to what rope to use it depends. The popular choice around here is 7/64 inch Amsteel used for whoopie slings. It's a hollow braided rope made from Dyneema that is spliceable, non stretch, very strong yet small is size so it reduces bulk for the weight conscious backpackers. If you can get some, there are videos and pictorials on how to splice them into whoopie slings among other things (dog bones, soft shackles). Splicing is preferable to knots since Amsteel is slick and knots significantly reduce breaking strength. Whoopie slings can be bought from many vendors here if you don't want to do it yourself.

For fun and practice I have used climbing type rope at home. I like to try different sliding hitches but would not use the rope on a trip simply because of the heavier weight and bulk. In terms of breaking strength it is personal preference. Many people including me like a safety factor of 4 or 5 times your body weight to account for dynamic forces that can be applied to the suspension or if you set up closer to parallel than is ideal. The force on the suspension go up exponentially the closer the suspension is to horizontal. A 30 degrees is popular and recommended.
    I saw some of shugs newbie vids. They were a huge help. I'm glad I found them before I came here with post after post of the basics.

Where could I buy already made whoopie slings? I could use those in place of the rope that's threaded through my hammock ends? That would make customizing sag incredible fast instead of having to redo the knot.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I saw some of shugs newbie vids. They were a huge help. I'm glad I found them before I came here with post after post of the basics.

Where could I buy already made whoopie slings? I could use those in place of the rope that's threaded through my hammock ends? That would make customizing sag incredible fast instead of having to redo the knot.
    Whoopieslings.com is where I got mine. Ships fast and they're top notch! Yup, you'd thread them through the 'channel' on the end of the hammock and then loop it onto itself to form a 'larkshead.' Yup it absolutely does!
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Whoopieslings.com is where I got mine. Ships fast and they're top notch! Yup, you'd thread them through the 'channel' on the end of the hammock and then loop it onto itself to form a 'larkshead.' Yup it absolutely does!
    Awesome! Ill definitely be ordering some when I get back from vacation. The all in one sounds tempting. Ill have to see what material my tie down straps are made of and I may just replace everything with the all in one.

As far as a ridge line goes, where does that connect if I have the whoopie slings passed through the stitched ends of the hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

As far as a ridge line goes, where does that connect if I have the whoopie slings passed through the stitched ends of the hammock?
    There are many ways. Here's one where the RL loop is put on the whoopie before completing the larkshead.

Here's just a larkshead around the amsteel.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Awesome. With my setup I think the first one is the route I will go.

Im guessing ill be using the grant trunk ultralight like this for a while until I can afford to upgrade so a better quality system with bug net and tarp. The more I research the more I want!

I'm an avid mountain biker, road commuter, and active ImbA-sorba member. In the cycling world you catch a disease called "upgradeitis" I'm pretty sure it's crossbred with the hammock universe now :/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast