DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff

Eureka! Chrysalis field test

Last week, I picked up a Eureka! Chrysalis bridge hammock/‘hammock tent’ system in a trade at the the PSH Fall Sprawl. When I got home, I was eager to check it out, and once I had the car unloaded, i had it in the back yard to try it out.

First impressions: This is my first bridge hammock, and it is definitely comfortable. It has an effortless flat lay, no squeeze (shoulder or feet) and very nice storage space at each end. The previous owner swapped out the original suspension and ridge line, so I only had to mod it a little to have amsteel loops at the ends, and removable suspension.

The next thing I had to address was how the over cover secured underneath the hammock. I didn’t/don’t like the hook and loop attachment, mainly because it is difficult to secure once in the hammock, and impossible if using an under quilt. So, I popped some small grommets into each of the four velcro tabs, installed a mitten hook on one side, and ran shock cord through the other, with a barrel lock to adjust the tension. Now, I can just lift the cover open, climb in, and it will pull itself closed behind me.

A good friend of mine has a cabin on Lake Greenwood. I have found this to be the perfect place to field test our camping gear, because of its proximity to the water, (and a cabin, if things wind up going south) and plentiful trees. The lows this weekend were to get down into the 30’s, and I wanted to see how the new hammock performed in the cold, especially with the wind coming off the water.

I learned to attach the (3/4 length, Insultex) under quilt by running the shock cord suspension through the loops in the sides of the hammock body where the spreader bars are seated, and clipping them to the ridge line, using the same suspension triangles that I use on my GE hammocks. It was more of a chore to install, but it was very easy to adjust the tension from inside the hammock. Using this, and a small synthetic sleeping bag as an over quilt, I was able to stay quite warm... for the most part.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I noted that lows got down to around 38F. The inside of the cover was beaded with condensation. In the future, I need to remember to bring a little microfiber towel to wipe it down periodically, and before getting out. Also, this was about the limit on my insulation. Much colder, and I probably would have had a rough night.

The cover does a very good job creating a little micro-climate. However, it isn’t as easy off/on as I would like. It is secured at each end in the suspension loops. So, to remove/install it, I have to untie the larks heads. Not a huge deal, but I’m looking for a easier way.

All-in-all, it’s a really nice system. It’s a bit heavier than my DIY hammock, due to the spreader bars, and being a bit ‘over built’. But it’s a good starting point for sure. Considering that it’s a bridge hammock, it doesn’t require any more tree spacing than any of my gathered ends, I view this to be a fairly good 3 season camping hammock (Fall->Winter->Spring). South Carolina summer in this thing would likely be a cook box. The over cover I feel serves as a good weather shield, but I would still bring a tarp if it's calling for rain because it provides no protection for under insulation (or anything else not inside the hammock with you).

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Good review and nice mods, I've almost had my wife ready to try one of these a couple of times. I did see it at the sprawl and it looks like new. Enjoy.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Nice review

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    good review. appreciate the details...
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB Clone 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Primaloft one DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice write up. I slept in it the second night and it did good. We probably need to come up with some mods for the underquilt to fit a little better. I liked it a lot and can't wait to build one!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Good job on the review.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    The Chrysalis is absolutely the most comfortable hammock that ever tied two trees together. And possibly the ugliest.
    I changed out the absurd webbing ridgeline and hardware brackets that came on it and don't usually bother with the tent top. My wife and I hang side by side under a large tarp. We use a drape-over bug net if necessary.
    For anyone with back issues - try one of these. You'll be glad you did!
    Nice review shef.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Good information in a great write up. I was thinking about getting one of these, but information was a bit hard to come by at the time.
    “The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Both of my kids have these. My youngest probably has close to 200 days in his and my oldest even though he got his first has closer to a hundred. Both of them are in remarkably good shape considering they are used by teenagers. Nothing other than a couple tiny burn holes from where one was set up to close to the fire and the other has a small rip in the mesh from when he thought it would be a good idea to try and bring my 90 lb lab shepherd cross in with him for a nap.
    Both of my kids prefer their chrysalis to their own beds. My wife had also taken it camping a few times a says it is very comfortable.

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice write up and pics.
    I'm glad you like your Chrysalis. I had one that I wanted to love but I am just too rotund! It is not a large persons hammock. Will be interested in hearing about additional mods you may make.

Blue Skies!
    cc
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts