custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

staying dry

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrewGuy View Post
    I always pack my tarp in the outside pocket of my pack. That way I can pull it out and set it up first (another advantage over tents), then take my time setting everything else up...
    As for the pack, I've put it on the ground under me with the pack cover on. This is good if there isn't any concern for flooding under you...
    Ditto on packing the tarp at the top, or in pocket to pull out first and setup a dry area. Speaking of which, it should remain dry under the tarp, including "splattering of mud, runoff, etc." and if not, you're hanging in the wrong location. Be wary of hanging in former tent spots that are susceptible to that sort of thing. Look to hang over forest duff. If you've ever had the opportunity to be in the forest during a heavy rainstorm, its amazing to watch all that water come down and be simply absorbed by the earth, with no runoff to speak of except for the trail. I also use Tyvek to put the pack on instead of directly on the ground.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    The one time I had to set up in the rain, I pulled my tarp and my handy scrap of visqueen (heavy plastic) from the outside of my pack.
    Visqueen wrapped around the pack, pack on the ground. Set up tarp.
    The only thing I had a problem with was rain running down my arms inside my sleeve since my homemade rain mitts were not working as well as I liked.
    -Liz -

I carry everything that needs to stay dry in a pack liner, I don't use a pack cover anymore and I have been out in nasty storms for quite sometime, I have a rain jacket and pants and use them when needed. I have a poncho but rarely use it anymore as I also use my rain gear as supplemental clothing for my insulation should I get cold. When I get to camp my process goes:

Take off pack after I find the right camp spot.

Pull tarp out of side pocket of pack (my tarp is in snake skins so it looks like a long tube folded up about a foot long).

Hang tarp as centered as I can, and stake it out.

Then I can take out my polycro ground sheet (got mine from GossamerGear) and lay my pack on this. I only do this if I want a dry place to stand, otherwise I just hang my pack from the hammocks suspension at the head end after I set it up.

Get out my suspension and hang it on the tree's.

Because I am using inverted UCR's I can hang my hammock while under my tarp, all the while staying dry. This is where/when I would hang the pack.

Next I set up my quilts.

Usually at this time I am ready to eat something, but first I hang my bear line, unless I am somewhere that has bear cables, poles, or another system like it so I don't have to throw my line.

My pack is usually just about empty, and the remaining contents should only weigh a pound or two (not including my pack) and I hang my pack on the suspension at the head end of my hammock when it's really down pouring. Otherwise I just leave it on the ground sheet. I have had what looked like rivers begin to run under my hammock as I forgot to notice the channels that feed the run off that were under my hammock (done this waaaaaaay to many times)

Eat, maybe get some water, be merry and enjoy the wild outdoors.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Safari Ta
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Carabiner / Rings
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Prime example of why this website is amazing. =D

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Cranky Bear basically described how I do it.

Tarp (in snake skins), Stakes and suspension in steak sack and Ground Sheet are on the outside of my pack. First get to camp and

1. Take pack off
    2. Take out ground sheet and place pack on ground sheet
    3. Take out tarp, string it up and steak it out
    4. Wrap suspension system around trees (using Dutch Woopie Hooks, this allows me to wrap the suspension around the tree reach from under my tarp grab the woopie hook and connect to hammock all underneath my tarp staying dry.
    5. Hang quilts
    6. By this time my pack is basically empty so I can hang it on my suspension of my hammock
    7. Bear rope
    8. Eat dinner, clean up and go to sleep in my nice comfy dry hammock
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Safari Ta
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Carabiner / Rings
    After hanging in the rain last night, I have a few thoughts:

Setting up the tarp first and just staying under it as much as possible kept me fairly dry while setting up the hammock.

I don't know if it's just Hennessy Hammocks, but I don't like the, "Foot end higher than the head end" way of hanging. It feels like I'm constantly hyper extending my legs and left me fairly uncomfortable compared to how I used to hang.

On my thru-hike of the AT, I will definitely be bringing a set of ear plugs. I stayed dry, but the rain hitting the tarp kept waking me up.

I will be using the advice of keeping my tarp in an outer most pocket of my pack, most likely in its own stuff sack.

Hammock
    diy 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Insulation
    hg incubator
    Suspension
    dutch whoopie hook

Thumbs down

That's what I got going on. My pack cover with a couple zing it whoopies for adjustability. If I'm feeling lazy I'll just hang my pack to the suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonz View Post
    That's what I got going on. My pack cover with a couple zing it whoopies for adjustability. If I'm feeling lazy I'll just hang my pack to the suspension.
    This is a great idea!

The last backpacking trip i took was February with big, wet snowflakes falling most of the hike. I just placed my pack on the ground in a large black trash bag that i always carry in the bottom of my pack. The pack was covered in inches of snow but stayed dry.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I really hate to leave my pack on the ground... a two-cent mouse can chew a hole through a two-hundred dollar pack in seconds if it smells any kind of food odors. On a trip in the Adirondacks last fall, the rodents at the popular campsites were relentless and got into everything within minutes after setting it down. (Chipmunks were continual pests... first time I ever experienced that.) Hanging the packs in trees didn't help. Hanging the packs on the hammock suspension, under the tarp, or putting them IN the hammocks (under your legs) is a good way to protect them from the rodents.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    I really hate to leave my pack on the ground... a two-cent mouse can chew a hole through a two-hundred dollar pack in seconds if it smells any kind of food odors. On a trip in the Adirondacks last fall, the rodents at the popular campsites were relentless and got into everything within minutes after setting it down. (Chipmunks were continual pests... first time I ever experienced that.) Hanging the packs in trees didn't help. Hanging the packs on the hammock suspension, under the tarp, or putting them IN the hammocks (under your legs) is a good way to protect them from the rodents.

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    A trip to the Adirondacks taught me not to leave my pack on the ground. I hang it off my hammock suspension now.

I thought chipmunks were bad, but I encountered some red squirrels that were diabolical. You could pull a granola bar out of your food bag, set it down, and by the time you put the food bag away it was gone.

One red squirrel tried to take my Bahco folding saw.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast