Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    This is great stuff Headchange4u! I really appreciate the time and effort in sharing your observations. If this works, your name should be placed in the Hammock Hall of Fame
    Last edited by Crawldaddy; 02-18-2009 at 17:30.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Well, actually, if someone would consider swapping their Snugfit or Mt Washington for my Peapod, I might talk turkey. I just didnt think anyone would be interested. Cant remember if it was Smee or Pan last yr at Trail Days who determined with me that their top and bottom quilt system was similar in weight and warmth ratio to my Peapod. (dont remember which combo he was talking about)
    PM sent on possible swap...
    Last edited by Kanguru; 02-18-2009 at 18:03.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    How about using Grip Clips to add suspension points to a PPod used as an UQ?

At the very least, you could prove your concept that way.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    How about using Grip Clips to add suspension points to a PPod used as an UQ?

At the very least, you could prove your concept that way.
    I had thought about using the things that you use on the corner of bed sheets. FishinFinn was using them for something at Mt Rogers. Grip Clips would also work.

I've also been thinking about a way that to sorta gives the PP a "differential cut" when using as an UQ.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I had thought about using the things that you use on the corner of bed sheets. FishinFinn was using them for something at Mt Rogers.
    My Thermadrape UQ, to hold it up over the footbox of the BB.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I had thought about using the things that you use on the corner of bed sheets. FishinFinn was using them for something at Mt Rogers. Grip Clips would also work.

I've also been thinking about a way that to sorta gives the PP a "differential cut" when using as an UQ.
    A dif cut PeaPod has got to be the next evolutionary step--- PeaPod Snugfit! I don't know what that would add to cost, but it would be a major functional boost.

I'm not sure what is going on with these mods though? Is the point to just convert it to pure UQ use, because that is the only quilt available? Otherwise, wouldn't it just make more sense to just use a reg UQ, and save the weight and cost of the top section?

Or, wouldn't it work primarily as an UQ to just use it as designed while leaving only the foot end and part of the head end closed, and pretty wide open in the middle? This would still maintain some of the advantage of an overlapping hammock/pod side seal and "seal" on the ends, and the suspension type support provided by the Velcro top closure, though on the ends only.

Re: the gap underneath, I have never had much trouble getting the bottom to be almost snug by just adjusting the cords on the end so that there are a few inches of space between the hammock and pod before I get in. I suspect I could still get it pretty snug this way even if it is pretty wide open on the top, closed only near the ends. Of course you can't go actually "snug", or you will compress the loft. (But, I think you get away with a bit more gap on the pod because it is a closed system) And the gap on top varies with the width of the hammock, and can be very little. OTOH, you can loosen the end cords to add bottom gap for the purpose of, as you pointed out, adding clothing or quilts or whatever you have to create a cocoon for extreme cold.

Of course, if you could pull off separating the bottom half from the bottom half, leaving you a choice of true UQ,TQ or pod, that would be impressive.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    A dif cut PeaPod has got to be the next evolutionary step--- PeaPod Snugfit! I don't know what that would add to cost, but it would be a major functional boost.
    If my idea would work, it would cost next to nothing. Basically what I was thinking about using a panel of fabric that has velcro down both sides. This panel would attach to the velcro on the PP. You can kinda see what I'm trying to do in this picture, although the "Restrictor Panel" would probably end up running down the entire length of the PP instead off just in the middle as shown here:

This panel would be against the bottom of the hammock and would, in theory, restrict how wide the quilt could open up while leaving the bottom part of the quilt to hang down without fear of being compressed. It's kinda hard to explain and I don't even know if things would work out in real life the way I see them in my head.

I'm not sure what is going on with these mods though? Is the point to just convert it to pure UQ use, because that is the only quilt available? Otherwise, wouldn't it just make more sense to just use a reg UQ, and save the weight and cost of the top section?

Or, wouldn't it work primarily as an UQ to just use it as designed while leaving only the foot end and part of the head end closed, and pretty wide open in the middle? This would still maintain some of the advantage of an overlapping hammock/pod side seal and "seal" on the ends, and the suspension type support provided by the Velcro top closure, though on the ends only.
    I mainly just doing this to tinker. I'm not trying to turn the PP into a pure UQ but more of a multi-use item. It would still function as intended. You are right in that PP would be very heavy to use as an UQ and it would be smarter to carry something lighter.

Re: the gap underneath, I have never had much trouble getting the bottom to be almost snug by just adjusting the cords on the end so that there are a few inches of space between the hammock and pod before I get in. I suspect I could still get it pretty snug this way even if it is pretty wide open on the top, closed only near the ends. Of course you can't go actually "snug", or you will compress the loft. (But, I think you get away with a bit more gap on the pod because it is a closed system) And the gap on top varies with the width of the hammock, and can be very little. OTOH, you can loosen the end cords to add bottom gap for the purpose of, as you pointed out, adding clothing or quilts or whatever you have to create a cocoon for extreme cold.

Of course, if you could pull off separating the bottom half from the bottom half, leaving you a choice of true UQ,TQ or pod, that would be impressive.
    It nice to know that you can adjust the quilt to eliminate the gap. It just goes to show that you are much more comfortable and familiar with the PP than I am. I really need to get out and use it more and explore it's capabilities and limitations. I agree that being able to remove the top portion of the quilt, leaving only the bottom, would probably be the best way to accomplish turning it into a true UQ, but hacking up such a nice (and expensive) piece of gear is a little scary.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Are you using the pod with the BB? That still works ok, but as with the Speer, results in a pretty good TOP gap, at least on the right side, where the wall is. I think it fit down pretty close to or even touching my body on my left side, like it does right and left with my Claytor No Net. It was a-ok on the bottom, if memory serves.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The couple times I have set it up I have been using my TTTM (HAAB style double hammock).

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12