HH ultralight
    Tarp
    stock (looking)
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Stock

Tarp Ridge line

I have the HH Ultralight backpacker and I love it. I've slept down to 25F degrees with two sleeping bags and a Nalgene filled with boiling water. My butt was a little bit cold because of the compression in the sleeping bag, but I slept all right. But my question is about the Tarp. I have the stock diamond tarp and i just can't seem to get it to stay off the hammock. I've never been wet and I've slept through some good down pours and stayed dry. I'm seeing a lot of people are using a separate ridge line for the tarp. I'm attaching as the instructions say per the HH bag and website. I liked trek using paracord and just ridging it HH suspension hooks for the tarp just to get it off the hammock. I'm wanting to get the Hex tarp, would that require the separate ridge line? I also notice that when I sit in the hammock it naturally gets a little bit more slack and the tarp then needs readjusted. Any way to keep the tarp nice and taunt with out having to gun all new strapping system for it? Any advice would be great. Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Way back when I first started out I had a HH for a little while and was having the same problem. The consensus is that the tarp hooked to the hammock suspension flat out sucks. You can pull and pull as much as you want to get it tight...right up to the point of hopping in the hammock where your body weight will change the angle of the suspension and almost guarantee the tarp will sag down on you and the hammock. Getting a bigger tarp will only increase the problem. String you tarp separate from the hammock to keep it tight no matter what your hammocks suspension is doing.

here is a throw back a few years to that thread. LINK
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Go with a continuous ridge line to rig up your tarp. I have the hex fly from HH and I hang it with a ridge line from the whoopie sling site. Works great and keeps the tarp off your hammock just fine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Go with a continuous ridge line to rig up your tarp. I have the hex fly from HH and I hang it with a ridge line from the whoopie sling site. Works great and keeps the tarp off your hammock just fine.
    +1 on that. I string my Hex seperate from the hammock and it works perfectly.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I havent had any problem with the small tarp hooked to the hammock. it does drop down on the ridge line, but i figured that's what the ridge line was for, in addition to holding up the mosquito net. I've tried it both ways.
    The advantage to a separate ridge line is: if it's raining you can get the tarp up first, then worry about the hammock. And, if you are taking stuff down the tarp can come off last, after everything else is safely packed.
    My feet keep getting wet in the rain. I can't figure out why or where it's running in on me. The tarp I have been using has been centered, but the outside of my bag keeps getting damp. Next trip Im trying my hex tarp. I could sleep a family of four under that thing and stay dry.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH ultralight
    Tarp
    stock (looking)
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Stock

Re: Tarp Ridge line

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Way back when I first started out I had a HH for a little while and was having the same problem. The consensus is that the tarp hooked to the hammock suspension flat out sucks. You can pull and pull as much as you want to get it tight...right up to the point of hopping in the hammock where your body weight will change the angle of the suspension and almost guarantee the tarp will sag down on you and the hammock. Getting a bigger tarp will only increase the problem. String you tarp separate from the hammock to keep it tight no matter what your hammocks suspension is doing.

here is a throw back a few years to that thread. LINK
    Thanks for the link. Lots of good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    I'm thinking I'll be purchasing the hex tarp in the near future. I enjoy my stick tarp just not all the flapping and its a pain to get just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I havent had any problem with the small tarp hooked to the hammock. it does drop down on the ridge line, but i figured that's what the ridge line was for, in addition to holding up the mosquito net. I've tried it both ways.
    The advantage to a separate ridge line is: if it's raining you can get the tarp up first, then worry about the hammock. And, if you are taking stuff down the tarp can come off last, after everything else is safely packed.
    My feet keep getting wet in the rain. I can't figure out why or where it's running in on me. The tarp I have been using has been centered, but the outside of my bag keeps getting damp. Next trip Im trying my hex tarp. I could sleep a family of four under that thing and stay dry.
    Yeah I've stayed dry in some heavy rain sometimes almost sideways rain. I'm just wanting more coverage and less wrinkle and flap.

I'm going to try a separate ridge line for the stock tarp and see how I like it. I know your suppose to tie it lower than the hammock suspension. Is it cheaper to try to DIY for sure cat cut tarp. I'm not the best with a needle or machine but I know people. I've seen alot of diagrams and instructions. But does the cost and time involved add up?

Thanks for the help

• + New Posts