WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I have used the type of rainfly in question as a tarp tent for ground sleeping, it worked but was not ideal. I had to use the pole as the ridgeline, because as othrrs have mentioned it won't pitch taught otherwise. I had to guyout with shockcord all the way around to get a proper pitch and it was barely big enough for a single person to sleep on the ground. I doubt it would work well for a hammock because of it's short ridgeline. However as Jeff says "impossible only takes longer" give it a try and let us know what your experience is.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to at least try it out in the back yard. We've had almost 4" of rain in as many days (good time to test). I think since it's not a dome tent the rain fly *may* make the span I'm looking for.
    having had a couple of these EUREKAS, i might suggest you take the fly & stretch it from the peak @ both ends

the arch that is built into the fly will then become quite apparent & easily remedied

allow the arch to drop in the center, giving you a straight top edge

pin, mark & then sew the arch, inside the ridge line w/ a fold over seam

worst case scenario would be the need to seam seal it from the inside, after trimming

Eureka products are well made of good materials

& if my remembery is correct, you will have built in tensioners on the corners

you may have to instal a small grommet in each end of the ridge line, where the pole ends fit in already reenforced points

GO FOR IT, the only thing you could loose would be a little time, some seam sealer & a coupla grommets

keep us posted

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Human
    Tarp
    Typhoon and DIY
    Insulation
    Philippines
    Suspension
    UCR
    I love a challenge! This is doable, but, it takes some extra to get it done. Dug out the old 10x10 Coleman dome tent and snagged that rain fly. This fly covers the sides of the tent and is kind of in "porch" mode over the front and back with a single pole running front to back holding them out. So I figured that to get rid of that center gutter effect I had to get the center up. So I put up an extra ridgeline as high as I could reach, flipped the fly over and turned it 90 degrees. Center had a couple of little strings I attached to the high ridgeline, tied what were the middle side pullouts to the low ridgeline above my suspension with taughtline hitches and snugged it up. Pulled the sides (what were the front and back) out and Viola! Got a rain fly turned into a tarp. Any wrinkles were on the diagonal. Ideally, I'd have to sew a loop or strings on the outside of the dead center so it could be right side out, put up that extra ridgeline or have a non-widowmaker branch above to pull the center up with a cord. Take the pole along and I can go porch mode on both side of the hammock! Saw where someone suggested putting the thing up, marking the "gutter", sewing and seam sealing. If I didn't think the wife would one day want to go tent camping again, I'd do just that and save myself the expense of a tarp.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Rain Fly from Old Tent

You might could put a pole mod in the center that would round out the top.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Human
    Tarp
    Typhoon and DIY
    Insulation
    Philippines
    Suspension
    UCR
    Yeah, if the sectional pole was a little more limber it would work better, as it is the slight curve it imparts is only 3 or 4 inches higher in the center than the ends and it is way too stiff to try to pull the ends closer together.

Here's what it looks like. Sorry about the mess, this is my little "play area" in my warehouse where I do all my hobbies and vehicle maintenance.

If you pull the corners out, you get gullies, so the tie outs are the strings used to secure fly to tent poles (loop on the outside for staking - remember, fly is inside out). Pulled the corners together and you get quasi 3/4 doors. so below these pullouts is another 10 in. or so of material that'll flap in the wind. Hooking something into the pole insert and staking down the center of the side might help too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12