compression sacs use for packing T & B quilts

i'm looking at compression sacs for my T&B quilts while hiking.( and motorcycle-camping every other night) ...with that in mind, can down quilts be compressed to the extreme and keeped like that for two days, and still rebound to their normal size? without any perm damage? how about tearing fabric from this?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You must need to get really small.

Sorry couldn't help it.

It probably shouldn't, but just the same, I wouldn't. But I'm packing and you're stowing. Different strokes and all.

Usually down stuffs pretty well, and a large contingent of LW and UL hikers are going with no stuff sack, as insulation seems to fill the dead spaces in your pack better that way.

Some will no doubt use compression with Syn but that's apples and oranges again too. If you do decide to do it, take pics. You're probably talking hardball size down from softball, and nearly as hard
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JRB compression sacks pack a three season quilt to to 7x7x8...Down is very resilient... no issue over a few days compression,,, Have used these sacks for hundreds of nights with no ill effects...FWIW that is about 1/4 of a side harley case.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    I've got two Sea To Summit 8L UL Silnylon roll top bags for my 20 degree UQ and TQ. Works like a charm. Just got them and tried them out last week...so far so good!
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I put both my three-season top and bottom quilts into one waterproof compression sack (Sea to Summit e-Vent, medium size: 14 liter). Compressability is half the beauty of down insulation!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I'm also a fan of Sea To Summit; they keep things dry and compressed; I've compressed my down TQ & UQ's for a number of days and it doesn't seem to affect them; keep in mind they were taken out each night, fluffed and used to sleep in. I don't think it would be good for long term storage though but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the long term impact of storing them compressed. But there's simply no need to.

The only down side to the Sea to Summit compression/dry sacks is that they're not light. for vehicle comping not a problem but for lighter backpacking applicatons they're a bit heavy.

If you want water resistant and light weight you can consider these bags from ZPacks:

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml

They're super light weight and will protect down from water; they're not compression sacks but you will be able to "compress" your down as you pack it and make it a pretty small package.

Good luck
    Gideon

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    My 8L Sea to Summit roll tops weigh less than an ounce each: http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/170
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    JRB compression sacks pack a three season quilt to to 7x7x8...Down is very resilient... no issue over a few days compression,,, Have used these sacks for hundreds of nights with no ill effects...FWIW that is about 1/4 of a side harley case.

Pan
    I concur!
    I've used the same JRB sack with my Sierra Sniviler without ill effects. Even left it packed for a week once with no harm to tbe down. In more mild weather I use my RAB topbag and it sits I the bottom of my pack with everything on top smashing it down. She rebounds like new everytime, though it might take an extra min or two.

In general I don't think the added weight of compression sacks is needed for down. It will compress to its max inside your pack. I just use the JRB because it was supplied with the TQ.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    TableCloth 11'
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ/TP
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the 15L Outdoor Research Ultra Light compression sack for my 20° TQ and UQ.
    After compression its about half that.

Images
    See my post here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51721

Quote Originally Posted by thenate1 View Post
    So I got my size medium "Granite Gear Round Rock Solid Compression Sack" from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I was able to easily stuff both my full length bottom quilt (20 deg) and my top quilt (20 Deg) + my Hammock Gear pillow:

You can see that it compressed down very nicely

I just thought that you all might like to know that these little guys are an option for these awesome Hammock gear quilts. And I stuffed them in without putting them in the "factory" stuff sacks first. I think that is key to getting them both in the sack comfortably.

• + New Posts