Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    ENO SN at the moment
    Thanks for all the responses!!! You guys Rock!!! After exploring the very informative website at http://www.tothewoods.net/ (thanks survivalen) I think Im gonna go with the simple connecting cordage to a tree. On the site he specifies the webbing size but not the cordage size. What gauge cordage is good to use? Where can I get some? I am 6' 2" 170 pounds.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockhound502 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses!!! You guys Rock!!! After exploring the very informative website at http://www.tothewoods.net/ (thanks survivalen) I think Im gonna go with the simple connecting cordage to a tree. On the site he specifies the webbing size but not the cordage size. What gauge cordage is good to use? Where can I get some? I am 6' 2" 170 pounds.
    For strength to weight ratio a UHMW polyethylene like amsteel can't be beat. However, it's not knot friendly due to the bend ratio required to maintain its strength. Splicing is something fun to do and not too hard to learn. Redden Marine and West Marine are fairly popular sources. West Marine will match online prices, unfortunately there isn't one close to you.

There are other things you can use if amsteel doesn't appeal to you. Just stay away from nylon because of the stretch. A safety factor of 4-5 is generally recommend, your weight times 4-5, for the working weight rating.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Mike View Post
    I have an ENO hammock and will be tossing the stock rigging as soon as I can. The setup was so heavy and to try and get a good hang was next to impossible with standard straps.

The setup I'm looking at is replacing the original rope with armsteel, but leave a 10ft length of rope at the ends.
    For the tree, standard straps with a loop at one end, and 2 D-rings in the other. Wrap the strap around the tree and stick the d-ring end through the loop. Take your armsteel rope from the hammock end, wrap it through the d-rings three times, with rope going between the two d-rings on the third pass.
    Rinse and repeat on the other end of the hammock. Easy to tighten, and no funky knots to deal with in the morning.
    This sounds like a Garda Hitch. The Garda has fallen out of favor in suspensions for two reasons. First is that rigging manuals say that it should never be loaded with more than 220 lb. That might not be a problem for you but it is for me. Second is the pinch point created between the rings. Because of that it's not recommended for ropes smaller than 10mm if I remember correctly.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Willjack1967 View Post
    SGT Rock has a video about just that.
    Ya but your going to die

Hammock
    ENO SN at the moment
    Also, I am currently using a stock ENO SN with all of the original rigging. I think I am going to remove the caribeners and the thick stiff cordage that in there already and replace it with what ever cordage I decide on. What I am wondering is how to rig the new cordage through the existing channel on the hammock. Are there any good tutorials or videos, I am a visual learner?

Here is what I am thinking... Tie a figure 8 loop in one end of the cordage slide it through the channel then run the untied side through bringing it tight on the hammock. Will this bunch up or restrict movement? After that I will do another figure 8 and secure it tree straps as shown on tothewoods.net. Im guessing its worth a try, or is something fundamentally wrong with this idea? Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you do go with a light weight line like amsteel, knots are generally avoided because they decrease the breaking strength. Doesn't mean it won't work but if you have spliceable line, its the safer route to go since splicing preserves a large percentage of the breaking strength.

Dynaglide UCR's with webbing and no hardware is about as light as you can get. To attach the webbing to the tree, just feed one end of it through a sewn loop on the other end. To connect the Dynaglide to the webbing, a Marlin Spike Hitch using a trail stick will work fine.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammockhound502 View Post

What/how can I achieve this goal? Is it possible to just have webbing straps about 15 feet long that I can attach straight to the hammock? Is there a tutorial on these things? What is a good size webbing? Really just looking for the bare minimum, lightest weight suspension. Thanks
    Simplest is without doubt the pair of rings and long straps used by Tree to Tree Trail Gear and its parallel pair of cinch buckles as used by Warbonnet guy. The pair of rings or buckle parts are left in place at the end of a short strap attached to the end of the hammock. The same long strap which wraps the tree gets threaded through the pair of rings or buckles like a webbing belt; and a simple slippery half-hitch --think of it as the bow in tying your shoes --keeps it from slipping under tension.

It is not an accident that those two hammock makers supply this. It works immediately and doesn't require any You-tubing or craft to figure out. (With slight apologies to advertisers linked to You-tube videos.) The other newb camping with you doesn't need you to set up her hammock, either.

There's a weight penalty of perhaps 6 oz, since the polyester straps have just 1/3 the strength/weight ratio of hi-zoot cordage. And the rings / buckles weigh 3oz total.

You also miss out on the fun of indecision and problem solving.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12