Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images

Recommendations

Hello All

I'm looking to get a new hammock. I currently have a Hennessy Expedition Classic which I really like. However, I'm 6'0" which is the height limit for the hammock and I feel like I'm right at the edge. I've found being at the limit for items is not the most comfortable.

I've been very impressed with all I've read here on the WBBB. Which is listed as good for up to 6'8". The spec from the web site it's more than 10" longer than my Hennessy. I'm working on saving up money for a purchase but need to figure out what to save for.

I've narrowed my choices down to (in no order):
    1) Hennessy Explorer Classic
    2) WBBB dbl (not sure if I should go 1.1 or 1.7) --I like the idea of being able to put a pad between the two layers
    3) WBBB XLC

The web suspension seems much easier/quicker than the Hennessy lashing (but it works fine for me).

Any recommendations for me?

(targeting a fall purchase timeframe)

Thank you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    Hi there
    I am also a new member and only have about a year of hammock experience so take my comments with that in mind
    At 5' 11" and 190 lbs, I also started with a HH Exped (side zip) but always found my feet cramped - not calf cramps, just not enough room for my feet. 6 weeks ago I bought a WBBB 1.1 dl to try, my thoughts comparing it to my HH are:

The WBBB material is whisper thin compared to the HH, and more comfortable to me. The WBBB is much lighter and I like the double layer a lot for bugs and pad use. But the most extraordinary part is the footbox, I can sleep without my feet cramped together and the footbox makes the hammock seem much roomier. I sleep on my back, left and right sides in the WBBB too and am not pressing my face against the bug net like on the HH.
    At first glance I was initially concerned about durability of such a thin material in the 1.1 but have not read reports of any WBBBs tearing so they must be strong. The Exped is built like a tank and the WBBB more refined. (Zippers are smaller on the WBBB as well for example)
    Oh, I forgot to mention the shelf too! Yeah Baby!

My daughter gets my HH to use now, it is a good hammock but I like the WBBB better.

The XLC came out a few days before I ordered my WBBB but I didn't need the extra length, cost or weight of the XLC. One day maybe I'll get one too.......

Hope that helps, if I can answer anything else feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Ike; 04-11-2013 at 22:56.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I have both the WBBB 1.7 dl and the XLC 1.7dl. Love both but it is amazing how much better the extra foot makes the lay of the hammock. I am 6' 250 pounds for reference. I got a year of heavy use out of the wbbb prior to switching and would be happy with either.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs. I've been using an ENO Doublenest for the last few years. I like it, but I've been itching to find out what else is out there; what to try next. Maybe something else is more comfortable? After reading about the Blackbird XLC, I couldn't resist. I just ordered up a double 1.7 a little while ago! (I already have a camo Superfly on order).

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs. I've been using an ENO Doublenest for the last few years. I like it, but I've been itching to find out what else is out there; what to try next. Maybe something else is more comfortable? After reading about the Blackbird XLC, I couldn't resist. I just ordered up a double 1.7 a little while ago! (I already have a camo Superfly on order).

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    can't wait to hear your report of the differences.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Recommendations

What is it you liked about the Explorer so we can provide a good comparison that fits your needs.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    as a fellow noob, i feel your pressure w/ being on the upper limits of STUFF

@ 260+#, i was looking at the HH SAFARI DELUXE, since it covered all my needs

&, lo n behold...one magically appeared on the used mkt

& i had already seen this particular unit in use

i have hung in it 1x & have NO regrets

the specs on the SAFARI should cover all your bases & you are already used to HH's

just an un-experienced old man's way of looking at life/stuff

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    Well, the HH Explorer appeals to me do to it's longer length and the bottom entry.

The WBBB's appeal to me due to the webbing suspension, longer length, footbox, and the double layer (I want to put a pad in between the layers rather than lay directly on top of a pad).

Now, I say all the appealing things due to reading up about them here on the forums and on the Warbonnet web site. I have only seen them in pictures. So I am taking somewhat of a risk just going by the listed features.

The Hennessy Hammocks are more of a known issues (or comfort) since that is what I have.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Recommendations

Assuming that you will stay with a pad you may want the double layer but an UQ Is something you should consider. You should be able to change suspension to anything you like on any hammock. If you want to stay with bottom entry you'll have few options. The foot box is nice but has some issues with the ridge on some people.

• + New Posts