Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There was another thread a day or two ago where WV..I think brought up the fact that you can't launder your hammock without doing a FULL wash like you would have to do to also clean your down. Lets face it every now and then it does a hammock good to get tossed in the washing machine. The under quilt will need that done to but with all likely hood it will be many times longer between washes for your quilt than it will be for a hammock.

Not saying integrated insulation is a bag idea just that it opens up other variables than there are with a modular system. Like Gresh Said, you would need to buy multiple hammocks to accommodate different seasons. Right now if you find a hammock you like you can mix and match insulation to suite where and when you hike. And then you can easily add other insulation and or bug nets or other____(fill in the blank) to match other conditions as you decide to venture out into them. I hike and camp all over the place in all sorts of times of year. A drive of 2 hours and I can go up 5000 in elevation where it's a totally different season. Right now outside it's 65 degrees and bugs are starting to buzz about, but take a little drive and I can be in full on winter conditions with 6-8 feet of snow to hike through. The modular aspect allows me to easily adjust to the conditions as they are trip to trip.

Just the ramblings of a guy that needs a beer and a nap in his hammock.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    This sounds a lot like the one I'm currently working on.
    I'm looking at a slightly different approach and a higher weight limit.

The two guys I camp with are in the 6ft range and one is a pretty big guy (close to or over 300lb). I promissed both I would have a prototype for them to test, so my requirements are pretty high.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Paul, that was Risk that said it's harder to clean a down insulated hammock, and it's a point Wisenber has made in the past. It has some validity.

I'm using a "summer weight" insulated hammock and adding layers for colder conditions (either on me or under the hammock) - not perfect, but workable.

I have warmer insulated hammocks for really cold conditions, and I wish I had taken one of them to White Rocks. Finally got the UQ adjusted well on the third night. So, all the rest of you guys just have one hammock ...?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Polarpod / UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/rings
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    So, all the rest of you guys just have one hammock ...?
    Point taken, but the ability to find a hammock that is most comfortable to you and then slap on some insulation is more appealing to me

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timdgsr View Post
    Point taken, but the ability to find a hammock that is most comfortable to you and then slap on some insulation is more appealing to me
    Understood, and I was speaking in jest (see Emoticon). Actually one problem I've had with underquilts is that they change the feel of the hammock when I tighten them up to close the air gaps. I don't know if others have had this problem. I haven't seen it mentioned in HF posts, so maybe it's just me and the particular UQs I've tried.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Understood, and I was speaking in jest (see Emoticon). Actually one problem I've had with underquilts is that they change the feel of the hammock when I tighten them up to close the air gaps. I don't know if others have had this problem. I haven't seen it mentioned in HF posts, so maybe it's just me and the particular UQs I've tried.
    It's not just you, which is why despite the novelty factor of this system I'm a fan of it for just that very reason. At 6'4", I feel like I'm even more susceptible to having tightness around the shoulders and ankles (for a full-length quilt) because I'm just that much closer to the ends.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Gresh, sounds like you need to move the ends.
    I'm with PGibson, I like the variability and I'll add looking at the forecast then making the best guess on which quilt to take.
    Cleaning....don't get them dirty to start with, does that work?
    Now if I lived in San Diego or Santiago where temp range is very narrow then this would make sense.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    This is exactly the reason why I just bought a pad to put between the layers of my hammock. With the UQ attached and snug I lose alot of the width of my asym lay and it becomes uncomfortable. I have tried loosening it up but it then gaps on me. Maybe the solution is a wider UQ?????
    Dave

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Gresh, sounds like you need to move the ends.
    I try to keep 'em on the diagonal, but it takes me a minute to get 'em dialed in...and I'm far too often far too lazy to get back up to make minute adjustments around me feet.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12