Awhile back I said in a thread, that I can't seem to find anymore, that I would upload some pics of how I rigged up the suspension on my last DIY hammock.
Ok ill try to describe this the best I can. If I incorrectly use any terms on some of these splices and stuff, feel free to correct me.
I went with 1/8" Amsteel for this ridgeline and suspension which some would say is overkill and I agree. But the weight difference is so minimal compared to something weaker so for this hammock the 1/8" Amsteel is fine.
For the ends I stitched a channel on both sides and fed a Zip-Tie through the channel and cranked it most of the way. Then I larks-headed a small piece of Amsteel to the inside of where the whipping will go and fed it through the inside of where the whipping will go and the channel. I made a separate ridge line out of Amsteel and fed it the same way. Both ridgeline and hammock suspension have a buried bite at each end. Once I had everything in place, I cranked down the Zip-Ties at each end and then began whipping with paracord. Dressed all the whipping and then hung and tested it. Worked out great. The only mistake was when I was cutting my Amsteel for the ridge line I ended making it 80% of hammock length instead of 82%. This is Destikahr's hammock now and he loves it. Says he doesn't have any problems with the lay or calf ridge. Think I will do it this way on my next hammock.
I hope the photos are ok and that this all makes sense. I probably should have shot a video for this instead.
DSC00200a.jpg DSC00201a.jpg DSC00202a.jpg