Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My take on ZHammock, the GHammock

I'm too cheap to buy an underquilt, and doubt I'll do much winter hammocking, so the ZHammock became the wise choice for me to build, as I already have a foam pad, and I don't want to lay directly on the pad, but shove it between the layers. I did run into some problems when constructing a ZHammock, and made some modifications. The main problem during construction is the difficulty in getting two pieces of material cut to exactly the same length (I don't have a large empty area to do my work), If they're not the same length, when you sew them together, this can be a problem. This method allows you to do a rough cut and trim the excess off later.

Also, anytime I plan on going camping, there are going to be bugs, so for simplicity, and because I'm cheap, I'm sewing the bug net directly onto the hammock. The location of the bugnet also allows it to be stowed away in the 'pocket' of the hammock, or flopped into the hammock when loading it up with a pad. When whipping, I plan on embedding a loop of cord through the whipping so that I can attach a non structural ridgeline with a tautline hitch to tighten it up.

Click on picture for details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Looks good, man! Cool idea with the bugnet and the pad pocket!

Is there a specific reason you're staying away from a structural ridgeline? I'm just wondering because I really love mine...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Looks good, man! Cool idea with the bugnet and the pad pocket!

Is there a specific reason you're staying away from a structural ridgeline? I'm just wondering because I really love mine...
    I'm cheap and heavy. I don't own any rope that I would be confident would hold as a ridgeline. (I have nylon rope rated to 1200lbs, the heavy stuff they have at home depot). I suppose I could get some rope at REI to do it, but it's mostly just a matter of not having anything that would work.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    I'm cheap and heavy. I don't own any rope that I would be confident would hold as a ridgeline. (I have nylon rope rated to 1200lbs, the heavy stuff they have at home depot). I suppose I could get some rope at REI to do it, but it's mostly just a matter of not having anything that would work.
    Gotcha. You can always add one later when/if you come across some cord, too.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Looks like a great design. I can't wait to see pics of the finished product in action.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    What is a non-structural ridge line?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    What is a non-structural ridge line?
    It's connected to the hammock in much the same way as a structural ridgeline, but it doesn't have any load on it. It can be used to hang gear and keep a bugnet off you. I think Ed Speer uses these on his hammocks now, since Hennessy patented the structural ridgeline.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As BB says - it doesn't have any load on it. That means a structural ridgeline changes the shape of the hammock and sets a constant level of sag, while a non-structural ridgeline does not. Non-structural ridgelines just hold gear, support a bug net, etc.

Hennessy has patented his type of structural ridgeline, so other hammock manufacturers can't use it...but you can add whatever you want to your own gear. Patents are only enforced against people trying to commercialize a copy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Well, I've got it finished, except for sewing the bugnet on. I'd take pictures, but the entire thing is olive drab, and I think it wouldn't look too photogenic. Now i'm just trying to figure out how the heck to draw the curves for the bugnet so I can cut it proper. I have a proper sleeping bag zipper, but i question whether or not it's such a good idea to bother with one, it's difficult to seperate/reattach the zipper portion, and I question whether or not I have the dexterity to completely zip myself in.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    Well, I've got it finished, except for sewing the bugnet on. I'd take pictures, but the entire thing is olive drab, and I think it wouldn't look too photogenic. Now i'm just trying to figure out how the heck to draw the curves for the bugnet so I can cut it proper. I have a proper sleeping bag zipper, but i question whether or not it's such a good idea to bother with one, it's difficult to seperate/reattach the zipper portion, and I question whether or not I have the dexterity to completely zip myself in.
    Every hammock is photogenic!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast