Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Member hecta_g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    95

    Talking Y'all have turned me into a rope snob!

    I've been using paracord for some time now and and been making bracelets from TIAT on YouTube. Also since I'm a Cub Master I have enjoyed using and learning as much as I can about all types of knots.

    But after joining HF, I have discovered this, how do you say....dyneema....amsteel???? HUH!

    After digging and finding out I am officially obsessed with getting my hands on that fibrous wonder!

    I lay awake at night now how I can incorporate it into my daily life even getting the thinnest available to create some really awesome bracelets that when used properly I can hitch it to an 18 wheeler and pull it around for sport.

    Ahhh, I feel better now.

    Thanks for allowing me to ramble on...
    Psalm 46:10

  2. #2
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    10,491
    Images
    39

    Y'all have turned me into a rope snob!

    Quote Originally Posted by hecta_g View Post
    .... getting the thinnest available to create some really awesome bracelets that when used properly I can hitch it to an 18 wheeler and pull it around for sport.
    I love this visual!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  3. #3
    Member wideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Hammock
    No hammock. Yet!
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by hecta_g View Post
    I lay awake at night now how I can incorporate it into my daily life even getting the thinnest available to create some really awesome bracelets that when used properly I can hitch it to an 18 wheeler and pull it around for sport.
    Nooo... don't go thin, go equivalent. 3/16" Amsteel Blue is about the same diameter as 550 cord, and has a 5400lbs load strength!

  4. #4
    ASM Troop 131. Fixxr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    233
    You are not alone. My in law's in law gets me amsteel cheap. I use it at work, but we get bridles,1.5" by 20'. Never knew small amsteel existed until I started hammocking.

    Thanks Hammock Forums! No, really, Thanks! I love the stuff.

  5. #5
    dragon360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Posts
    6,391
    Images
    1
    Ha - dealing with HF vendors has made me into a shopping snob! Now I expect that level of service in all things!!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

  6. #6
    Mouseskowitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stevens Point, WI
    Hammock
    DIY 1.5 DBL or 1.4 PolyD
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Posts
    1,445
    Quote Originally Posted by hecta_g View Post
    I've been using paracord for some time now and and been making bracelets from TIAT on YouTube. Also since I'm a Cub Master I have enjoyed using and learning as much as I can about all types of knots.

    But after joining HF, I have discovered this, how do you say....dyneema....amsteel???? HUH!

    After digging and finding out I am officially obsessed with getting my hands on that fibrous wonder!

    I lay awake at night now how I can incorporate it into my daily life even getting the thinnest available to create some really awesome bracelets that when used properly I can hitch it to an 18 wheeler and pull it around for sport.

    Ahhh, I feel better now.

    Thanks for allowing me to ramble on...
    Just a word of caution. Making jewelry out of amsteel has been talked about before. It's actually an extremely bad idea. The problem is that if you snag it on something it won't break. Because of that you could loose whatever it's attached to. Personally, I'm kind of attached to my hands and head and would like to keep it that way.

  7. #7
    SkyPainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stoneham, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Camo
    Insulation
    AHE: HG TQUQ: Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Posts
    3,107
    Images
    30

    Y'all have turned me into a rope snob!

    I like Bankline for bracelets and shoelaces now...

    ~ Sky
    SkyPainter - "... and then the police came."

    All these years people said,"He's acting like a kid!"
    He did not know that he could not fly, and so, he DID!

    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

    "Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run! He hates that!"

    My outdoorsy YouTube channel is: "WMICommissioner"

  8. #8
    Senior Member swankfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    1,447
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    Just a word of caution. Making jewelry out of amsteel has been talked about before. It's actually an extremely bad idea. The problem is that if you snag it on something it won't break. Because of that you could loose whatever it's attached to. Personally, I'm kind of attached to my hands and head and would like to keep it that way.
    Well, maybe... This was also rumored when titanium wedding bands became popular and it was said men were losing ring fingers when the swelling would not allow removal and emergency rooms could not cut the titanium so they amp'd the finger...not true.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oakland, Ca
    Posts
    268
    how do you say....dyneema....amsteel????
    Die-knee-muh Am-steel is how I say it

  10. #10
    New Member Daemeos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lynchburg, Va
    Hammock
    DIY DL Plain Weave Nylon Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Clear Plastic
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopieslings
    Posts
    16
    Im VERY new to DIY hammock camping and Ive been doing a lot of research and thanks to this awesome site Ive been introduced to amsteel... holy crap!

    Im a big guy so I have been looking at things like doubling up on paracord to make whoopie slings and such, now that I know this wonder rope exists, this is the way Im going, without a doubt!

Similar Threads

  1. Lurker turned DIYer
    By SOPiiAC in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 13:25
  2. Dweller turned hanger!
    By SnackPack in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 08:33
  3. How long to become a "Hammock Snob"
    By Slackdaddy in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 10:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •