Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

Another Quilt Design Question

I received my quilt materials from Thru-Hiker and I'm ready to start. But I have a question I haven't seen addressed here yet.

The quilt has two layers of material and in the foot box these layers will be wrapped around a circle. Some simple math shows that a 62" outer perimeter with 2.5" of loft gives me an inner perimeter of 46". 46" seems like it might be a bit tight for a foot box but that's not the real question.

The real question is this: Is there any advantage to putting darts into my mesh so the inner and outer layers curve properly or do I just make the inner and outer layers the same size and let them puff up or pucker as I curve them around the foot box.

This image might help you envision what I mean. The grey area between the layers would be the noSeeUm mesh.

When I say "Darts" I mean folding the inner edge of the mesh so the inner diameter is smaller than the outer diameter.
    Last edited by GregB; 04-12-2013 at 11:08.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Having made a few top quilts, I don't think that the extra effort with the baffles would really accomplish anything significant.

Your numbers seem a bit off, based on the quilts I've done. 62-46=16" I would've calculated it this way: inner shell width+ 2xbaffle height = outer shell width. 2.5" loft would use a 2" baffle. I'm not sure what you would do with a 16" difference planning on 2.5" loft. Something seems off.

Make sure to add your seam allowances before cutting.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Maybe just a labeling problem. OP uses "perimeter" in the written description (meaning circumference), but labels in the picture incorrectly say "diameter". The numbers work, though.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Having made a few top quilts, I don't think that the extra effort with the baffles would really accomplish anything significant.

Your numbers seem a bit off, based on the quilts I've done. 62-46=16" I would've calculated it this way: inner shell width+ 2xbaffle height = outer shell width. 2.5" loft would use a 2" baffle. I'm not sure what you would do with a 16" difference planning on 2.5" loft. Something seems off.

Make sure to add your seam allowances before cutting.
    Here's how I did it.

62/pi = 19.73

19.73 - 5 inches (2.5 on each side) = 14.73 which is the new diameter after reducing the amount of the loft.

14.73 *pi = 46.27

However, it sounds like I may be worrying about something that doesn't really matter. Would you agree that I should make the 2 layers the same and just let the down puff it up to whatever it needs to be?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Maybe just a labeling problem. OP uses "perimeter" in the written description (meaning circumference), but labels in the picture incorrectly say "diameter". The numbers work, though.
    You are correct, I said "Diameter" when I meant Perimeter. Wow, what a mistake to make for a math major like myself!
    I fixed the image to show what I actually meant to say
    Last edited by GregB; 04-13-2013 at 10:01.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Your making a TQ, so you don't really need to figure in the curve, which is done for UQs so it will wrap around you without compressing the down. TQs will get compressed anyway. TQs are most easily made flat

For UQ math see: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38945

If it would help, I could draw something up, but it will have to be later today.

Don't confuse loft with baffle height. Most folks use a 2" baffle for 3.5" loft.

There are two ways to calculate the wid th of the fabric. One is to let the outer shell be 2x baffle height wider. The other is to make them the same width, adding 1x baffle height to each shell. All this does is locate the side seam at the "corner" of the inner and outer shell, or half way up the side of the quilt. Doesn't matter.

I like to roll hem channels for the top and bottom, using drawcord to cinch a foot box. I add 2" to the length of the inner shell to accomplish this, rolling the inner shell to the outside of the quilt. If you do this, remember to lay out the baffles on the inner shell at <spacing +1.5">, and on the outer shell at <spacing +0.5">. This accommodates the 1" seam allowance on each end of the quilt.

No more time now. I'll check in this afternoon.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Detail Man: I was using a spreadsheet from this forum to design my under quilt and I noticed exactly what you're saying. For the underquilt they do use a different inner and outer layer size so it will wrap around you. Because of that I was assuming that the same thing needed to happen for the top quilt since we're wrapping a circle around your feet. It's good to know that it's not needed. That makes the sewing a LOT easier.

Thank you.

• + New Posts