Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Great write up as usual, FLRider. I was wondering if you were going to see Adam or not. Kind of cool that you did. Thanks for sharing.
    That sunrise from the hammock looks so nice. I do love our area up here. I hope to see you around here more often.

Are you considering picking up were you left off and section hiking?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Fine report! Thanks for taking us along. I look forward to Part 2.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Mighty fine report, video and pictures ... and dang a Ginger sighting! That is fantastic! Looking forward to part 2

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Great report, looking forward to part 2.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Spectacular trip report! Felt I was back in GA on the AT and you know GA is the 3rd ranked hardest state so kudos to you. Especially loved the pics off Blood, wasn't so fortuante when I crossed. Thanks for taking me (us) along.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Beautiful photos, great write up, made me really want to get back out there. After the smoked butt hang and perhaps goat island hang, I will take a bit of food and a hammock and see what this old man can still do.
    Thanks! I'd love to see your trip report. You're never too old to enjoy the outdoors: it's not how far you go, it's how much you enjoy the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Oh yeah, I started thinking about doing a week of the AT some time this year and this cements it!

Great report and photos
    Do it! You sure won't regret the memories. It's awfully beautiful up there.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by louisfb View Post
    Glad you guys had a good time. Sorry I missed most of the trip but I had fun hiking Blood Mtn with you guys.

--louis
    Thanks for putting this out there, louis. If you hadn't gotten behind and pushed, I would probably be in the, "Gee, wouldn't that be a nice trip," phase. And thank you for being willing to shuttle, even after your illness. That wound up making things just about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Great write-up and pictures. Thanks for taking us along.
    Thank you for coming along!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Hello, FLRider! Good time of year for hiking. You’re looking good for 30+ hours on the go. I’d have my arms out in front of me and my eyes closed. lol What’s that bally looking thing hanging from the left side of your backpack, shoulder strap? Yes, good idea to avoid bear encounters. lol Thanks for part 1! Hopefully part 2 will be coming to a computer screen near me soon.
    Well, I have some practice at it. My job has screwy hours, so getting out and about some times requires going overnight after a long shift.

The thing hanging from my strap is the pressure bulb pump for my bladder; I cover that in the "Gear Report" section of my first post. In short, it pressurizes the bladder to push water through my in line filter, making for quicker fills of my cook vessel and easier water when I'm going uphill. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it works.

Y'know, the funny thing about the bears...I was going through my ditty bag on the morning of day four, and realized that I'd left half of a 1.5 oz bottle of honey in there a couple months before... Still, everything turned out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Great write up as usual, FLRider. I was wondering if you were going to see Adam or not. Kind of cool that you did. Thanks for sharing.
    That sunrise from the hammock looks so nice. I do love our area up here. I hope to see you around here more often.

Are you considering picking up were you left off and section hiking?
    Thanks, FireInMyBones! I was surprised to see him; I thought, "Hey, that looks kinda like Stormcrow...wait, I think that is Stormcrow...didn't he mention that he was doing a thru this year? I should probably go over and say hello..." He was kind enough to come on over and return the favor before heading up Springer.

It is awfully pretty up your way, for certain. I hope to make it up there more often, m'self. I think I might give section hiking a go, but it'll likely be a twice-a-year thing rather than anything more often. And that's still at the "It'd be nice..." phase of pondering right now. I would like to come up this Fall and finish the FHT, but I think that'd be better suited to a PM conversation rather than dragging this thread off topic...

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Fine report! Thanks for taking us along. I look forward to Part 2.
    Thanks, WV! It was a wonderful trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Mighty fine report, video and pictures ... and dang a Ginger sighting! That is fantastic! Looking forward to part 2
    Mighty fine words coming from you, Hawk-eye. Every time I watch one of your videos, I learn something new about after-effects and editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Great report, looking forward to part 2.
    Thanks, Cranky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Spectacular trip report! Felt I was back in GA on the AT and you know GA is the 3rd ranked hardest state so kudos to you. Especially loved the pics off Blood, wasn't so fortuante when I crossed. Thanks for taking me (us) along.
    Seriously? Third hardest? Man, then the AT really isn't that hard...gotta be an error there somewhere...

Blood Mountain was socked in the first time I did it, too; it was worth going this time just for the views from there, even if the rest had been horrible (which, well, it wasn't...).

Thanks for coming along!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Part 2 is Up!

Part two of the video has been added to the first post!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    Nice report, thanks for sharing. Glad the trip went well. Nice to have all those creeks so you don't have to lug 3 L of water!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    WOW! Fl. Felt like I was walking right beside you when I was reading your trip. Haven't even seen the vids yet!

Glad you all got together to do this trip. Nice pictures. Looks like you had fair weather as well. Now on to the vids!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Nice report, thanks for sharing. Glad the trip went well. Nice to have all those creeks so you don't have to lug 3 L of water!
    Thanks! Me, too.

I didn't have to, but you know me...too many instances of dehydration over the last couple of years to be comfy without a decent amount of water. Meant my pack was probably four or five pounds heavier than it needed to be. Still, I wouldn't trade it for the other option, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    WOW! Fl. Felt like I was walking right beside you when I was reading your trip. Haven't even seen the vids yet!

Glad you all got together to do this trip. Nice pictures. Looks like you had fair weather as well. Now on to the vids!
    Thank you!

I'm really glad we managed to get together, as well. We got lucky with the weather; it was in the 20s at night and 40s during the day a week earlier, with freezing rain. For once, the weather gods smiled on one of my trips...
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast