DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline1432 View Post

So my biggest problem is price I could just go grab an ember quilt but after researching here and YouTube I'm questioning if that's the best option. I wanna know if they're are other brands of UQ's that will work easily with the doublenest. Or if you experienced hikers think it would be money better spent on upgrading my sleeping bag?

While I'm at it I also lack a tarp and do not like enos profly again mostly can agree with the price so if any suggestions there or links to other brands products or even a diy project will be much appreciated!

Before we get to crazy with the DIY's or over elaborate gear I'm a horrible at sewing and have no clue how to even tie a ridgeline(another thing if any of you could help with please do) being fresh out of college and unemployed price of products and materials is important!!
    Don't just upgrade your sleeping bag. You'll still be cold on the bottom so it won't help you. Klymit makes an inflatable pad around $100 that's really small. Thermarest has one classic model (mummy shape) that I used. I don't like pads, they make my back sweat like crazy, even in 40* weather.

I use a hammockgear quilt, but they are around $200. It works fine with a singlenest. My other quilt is a kick-***-quilt I made (but arrowhead equipment sells them. Theirs are synthetic, so they dont squash down as small. They are cheaper, though. Mine has the hennessy tie-outs

I use the hennessy hammock hex fly with my Eno. I think I got it for $75 off amazon. You have to rig a tarp ridgeline, but you can just use some paracord between two trees.

As to how to rig a ridgeline on an Eno, there are plenty of youtube videos. Just do a search. The way I figured it out was when replacing the suspension, just tie the ridgeline onto the loop in the suspension. If you use an adjustable ridge line from one of the cottage vendors, its even easier, just put the ridge line loop on the suspension line when you stick the suspension line through the channel.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Re: Help with picking gear

Yeah I've seen the videos and have tried a few times but never actually had a proper tarp to test it with... Lately I've been stuck to using my phone for forums and YouTube which any one with sprint can tell you is a PITA

I'm using the atlas suspension because I was lucky enough to lose my shitstraps so if I understand right I can just make a ridgeline from one of higher loops on the suspension? It was my understanding that it should be separate so rain doesn't run into the hammock?

Sorry totally off subject.What bugnet are you's using with your eno double?

I don't have one have not gotten to it yet thinking that could be something cheaply made if not done with out

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Maybe done without. Test of toughness there, but easily made with cheap material. Skeeters aren't as bad here as they are down there, or at the beach, but you'll appreciate one. Pretty simple to make, check out Fronkey's bug net.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

I never notice bugs has long as I'm far enough from water but again I haven't really spent more then a single night out in the hammock and being 6'0 at 165 I can easily wrap the doublenest around me like a cocoon so if I've dealt with bugs I probably half woke up and covered up

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I've thought about adding buttons or toggles to the edges of my DN to close it up like a cocoon. But I know from experience that some bugs will bite through the material. Permethrin might help.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Seriously !?! Crap a bugnet might move up on the priority list

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I would buy an underquilt before upgrading the top insulation. When your back is warm, it easier to keep your top warm. Underground Quilts is another quality vendor if you want a down underquilt. Arrowhead Equipment offers synthetic quilts that are less expensive than down. As mentioned, the Tadpole is a good value as is the Warbonnet Edge.
    I can attest to the warmth of bottom first. Last year I was in ~25 for 2 nights. I had just a walmart pad in my hammy and el cheapo sleeping bag wrapped around the hammy and ridgeline to keep off my face. My jacket around the head end to close the system (like a peapod). I had a small fleece blanket inside and of course winter jammies. No tarp.
    Only my feet were cold, but the rest was fine since I had no cold coming from underneath and the SB held the warmth above me in the pocket made by the RL.
    Good luck and get that UQ under quilt when you can afford it.
    Bug net is easy with minimal to no skill in sewing.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast