Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

NX-250, I Finally Took The Plunge (Big Gulp)

After about 3 months of fidgeting I finally called (I had to ask if there were any discounts available) Clark today and ordered my NX-250. I am still in sticker shock but I learned during almost 20 years of climbing/ski mountaineering and 14 years as a Mountain Rescue volunteer that you usually get what you pay for and that good gear can not only make for better trip experiences, it can save your life. Heck, my tricked out 15 year old Warmlight 3R 3-person expedition tent I used for a long time in some fairly serious conditions and is still a great tent would cost me a grand today. I've done a fair amount of research and know that the Clark is the best hammock system for the Great Pacific Northwet [sic]. I'm an old guy now but after recent hip surgery has resolved pain I've lived with for years, I'm hoping to get enough use out of the Clark for remote backcountry angling to make it worth the Big $$$ for me.

I'm sure I'll be relying on a sleeping bag and a Thermarest until I can afford the $$$ or have the time to buy or make an UQ & TQ. I'll use the search function first but I'll probably be asking some pretty basic newb questions that may have come up before as I learn how to use my new CJH.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 04-12-2013 at 18:48.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7, Lite owl
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Potomac, Jarbidge
    From what I hear about Clark hammocks, you won't be disappointed

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    I have one and love it. I'm 65 and am done with sleeping on the ground.
    Good luck with your new Clark.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Don't leave a fish in any of the pockets for any length of time and you'll be good.

With Tacoma weather, re-purposed a thrift-shop indoor quilt with some snaps and swivels --you're the well-equipped angler -- attached to corners of the folded article and hung as an under-quilt. This will be proof of concept for you. You don't need much to stop chills from below. That accomplished, have, any thin sleeping bag above you will likely be enough.

Enjoy that strapin the peak to pull yourself up, and those interior pockets, too.

Down in PDX, that's what I am doing every night in a Clark.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-13-2013 at 14:03.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    Enjoy your new 250! Good gear serves indeed a high goal. And the 250 is excellent gear.

In addition of the advice from the other users, please check the rain protection via the ropes before you undertake a long trip. Clark ropes are excellent and lightweight. But in serious stormy rainy weather the Clark-driprings have not worked 100% for me. This might be due to the fact that I don't take enough time to check the driprings position. But especially in the dark during stormy rainy weather the solution should work 100%. And without the need to check the dripring position every time.

Descending rings and carabiners work well for me. If you use the basic ropes of Clark? Than carabiners at 2 inch distances from the hammock might be the best solution. Make sure the carabiner stays allways straight up. If not, than you might need a double-carabiner solution.

Have fun I appreciate my 250 every time i use it.
    Last edited by Hiker Philly; 04-16-2013 at 00:24.

I ordered one this week too, anxiously awaiting on it..

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    It's the one hammock, of many I own,that I will never sell.

Hammock
    Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch
    The NX-250 was one of my firsts. And remains my all around favorite, you can not beat the functionality and workmanship. I swapped out the stock suspension with whoopie slings all in one system, and am planning on making some DIY down pads for the pockets for uq insulation. Enjoi!

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    I changed from the ropes to webbing and buckles from arrowhead. Really love the 250.
    It's a super winter hammock. It should be fine for summer as well.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    After about 3 months of fidgeting I finally called (I had to ask if there were any discounts available) Clark today and ordered my NX-250. I am still in sticker shock but I learned during almost 20 years of climbing/ski mountaineering and 14 years as a Mountain Rescue volunteer that you usually get what you pay for and that good gear can not only make for better trip experiences, it can save your life.
    Right: And grown-ups might have appreciated that a Warbonnet XLC with comparable rain fly cost $350 (w $10 twofer rebate.) Add $60 for camo / multi-cam.

#5 vs #3 zippers + the added pockets show comparable costs. Doesn't make either kit inexpensive. But, two good companies, and by all reports good on the customer service end. No matter that one chooses not to say anything here.

• + New Posts