Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with picking gear

So I've been into hammocks for a long time but the only times I've been able to use them was in hot NC summers where warmth wasn't a problem. But lately I've been planning a week trip on the AT and warmth problems need to be solved

My gear list
    Eno double nest
    Atlas straps
    Eno possum bag
    Random 40 degree mummy bag of a brand I can't recall off my head

So my biggest problem is price I could just go grab an ember quilt but after researching here and YouTube I'm questioning if that's the best option. I wanna know if they're are other brands of UQ's that will work easily with the doublenest. Or if you experienced hikers think it would be money better spent on upgrading my sleeping bag?

While I'm at it I also lack a tarp and do not like enos profly again mostly can agree with the price so if any suggestions there or links to other brands products or even a diy project will be much appreciated!

Before we get to crazy with the DIY's or over elaborate gear I'm a horrible at sewing and have no clue how to even tie a ridgeline(another thing if any of you could help with please do) being fresh out of college and unemployed price of products and materials is important!!

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have an ENO and can tell you what gear I have that works well with it. There are most definitely going to be a slew of correct answers for your question though. My Hammockgear.com full length UQ works great with my ENO.
    Also, my Wilderness Logics Tadpole tarp works great with it.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    First way to save and still stay warm is to use a pad, a closed cell pad, preferably wide and short. About 25-30" wide to insulate the sides, and about 48-60" short so that it doesn't become too unwieldy in the hammock. Might still need something to put your feet on, or could get away with tying your jacket/vest/etc. around the foot end of the hammock.

The bag probably works fine, but if you have enough dough, a good topquilt would ensure you stay warm.

That leaves you needing a tarp, the best value probably being the WildernessLogics Tadpole. The Arrowhead-Equipment Toxaway or ShangriLa are competitive, as is the MacCat Std. Might check with Brandon at Warbonnet, too. The BMJ is a little more $$, but he might have some blemish stuff at 10% or so off reg price.

What part of the AT for a week?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Read, read, read, read, read! Watch videos, lots of videos. Everyone has preferences, nearly all are different in one way or another. Research, find posts of people in your area. Go to a hang and talk to some folks, look at set ups, try them out. The guys at a hang will certainly give you any information you ask for, same thing on the forum.

Hang your own hang.

Re: Help with picking gear

Yeah I've decided I'm gonna keep an eye out for one of the three piece military sleeping bags would be good the majority of seasons if not I may even pick up a cheap blue mat from Wal-Mart

When I get back home to decent internet I'll look up those tarps

As far as where on the AT I'm not sure I'm currently attending a job corps out near ashville and one of my friends and her boyfriend go to app state and invited me on a trip with them and where is all up to them

I'm trying to get more into actual hiking and backpacking because up until now the majority of my adventures were simple camping and fishing trips along the haw and umstead park with minimum hiking involved...

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

I think someone suggested reading? Lol. Definately read all you can on here and watch as many vids on different products (and of course shug's how to vids) on youtube.

Narrow it down and pic what YOU think will be best for your needs. Try a pad and sleeping bag that you already, if you find it ok stick with it until you have enough disposable income to invest in a tq/uq combo.

I think that the general consensus on the ember was that it doesn't really compare favourably value wise with what the cottage vendors here produce.

Not sure what the weather is like where you are but if you plan on hammocking throughout the year and/or all weather you might consider a tarp with doors and a little extra coverage e.g. wb superfly.

For backpacking you really want to be picking items that are light and compress well (you probably already know this), therefore I would suggest making do with what you have and buying exactly what you want, 1 item at a time when you can afford to, I didn't... I bought cheaper gear and am now regretting it!

Yeah I found a group hang on here really close to where I'll be in nc after may unfortunately the group hang is this weekend... But that's something I'm really gonna try to travel some of my biggest problems with videos and DIY instructions is I'm not a person who can learn from reading or watching videos... 100 percent hands on owner and a place where a bunch of people are setting up specially a handful of people from this forum... I'd learn more in one night if I find someone willing to show me then hours on YouTube or reading product reviews

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I would buy an underquilt before upgrading the top insulation. When your back is warm, it easier to keep your top warm. Underground Quilts is another quality vendor if you want a down underquilt. Arrowhead Equipment offers synthetic quilts that are less expensive than down. As mentioned, the Tadpole is a good value as is the Warbonnet Edge.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I also have a doublenest, and I am just getting started too. I'm using a blue pad and a down sleeping bag opened up like a quilt, from wal-mart (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69242). I went down to 35° with it, but was chilly because I had problems with the pad staying put. I want an underquilt in a bad way, and am considering making an IX UQ (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=23881) or converting another sleeping bag into an UQ. I Picked up my warbonnet edge tarp here on the for-sale forum. I got my toes wet when it rained once, but I think that was user error. Just keep an eye out on here for a hex tarp (and I do recommend a hex tarp) and try to snag it first. In the meantime, any hardware-store tarp will do the job. Consider making some whoopie slings out of amsteel blue 7/64" to replace the stock suspension on your doublenest to lose about 4 ounces and those heavy carabiners (or if you have the newer model, the prone-to-failure wiregate carabiners). https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68898 https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=67676. Hope this helps, and good luck!
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    By the way, there is a group hang in linville gorge in may as well. www.linvillegorge.net
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast