Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennesy
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

As newbie as anyone can be!

After camping with some friends who are hangers this weekend, I have decided to become one for comfort reasons (can't sleep on the ground anymore). However, I'm a big guy (6'1" and 300 lbs.) and need a big boy hammock. I've been told that a War Bonnet is a good, strong and reliable rig. I also have a very limited budget, and will be acquiring equipment as funding allows. Any other "bubba's" out there with recommendations? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    For starters Welcome to the Forums! I started out with an ENO double nest, not too pricey and I believe it holds 400 pounds. Nice hammock for a starter. I still use it when I not in my DIY hammock. Which being a part of this forums you may get the bug to do some "thread injecting" There is a limitless amount of resources on this site and I highly recommend paying the $10 to become a donating member, it will open up the full site for you too use. And check out Shugs youtube series on Hammock how too's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0 I do believe it is a 10 or 11 part series. This is the link for the first one. And beware you may become addicted to Shug's videos and all the other greatness on this forum.

Again welcome and enjoy!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: As newbie as anyone can be!

Start with the shug videos... You will be entertained and informed I promise... Then from there just wander around this place... If you have any questions, however noobish you think they are, go ahead and ask them... That's why we are here is to answer the questions...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness from just up the road.

Since we live in a buggy, skeeter infested area, you will need a hammock with a bug net (built in like the BB or separate if you get the ENO DN)

I am 6ft2 and 280 lbs and while I have and use a ENO DN, my BB 1.7 Double is my go to hammock when camping out. Well worth the $$$. My wife also prefers her BB when camping out.

If you can make it to the Smoked Butt Hang this coming weekend you will be able to check out lots of different rigs and learn a lot in a short time
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

*EDIT

My brother picked up one of these. For the price and for what it is, you can't beat it with a stick. 400lb weight rating as well. Integrated ZIPPER bugnet. 50.00. If it were me, I'd start there. http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/prof...lehammock.aspx

another vote for the ENO double or the generic equivalent (crinkle parachute material)

ENO's seemed to have gotten pricey but others are still competitively priced.

Reflectix for under insulation and a Hennessey Hex Fly for 60.00 (honestly, probably the best value weight/coverage/cost) and you got a 3 season setup, assuming you already have a SB.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums and life as a hammocker!

Another +1 on Eno. Good, cheap, reliable place to start. If you have some sewing skills, a do-it-yourself version is even cheaper. You can get a tafetta tablecloth, which will hold a fair amount of weight. Do a search on tablecloth hammock on the site and you'll find a ton of resources.

Also a +1 on Shug's videos. I'd also HIGHLY recommend Derek Hansen's book, The Ultimate Hang. Inexpensive with lots of pictures, it is THE single best resource on how to get the most out of hammocks.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Safari Ta
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Carabiner / Rings
    Warbonnet makes great stuff, my cousin has one and it's pretty rad. As for myself, I've used pretty much just Hennessy Hammocks and I love 'em. They have one model, the Safari, that's great for sleeping 2 or larger people. Huge weight limit, and it's super super roomy.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennesy
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Wow, fast replies!

No wonder this forum was so highly recommended! I will start by checking into becoming a "donating member". I will also be checking out shug's videos. Thanks again folks!

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I can't add anything more other than to say "hello" and "welcome to the forum!"

Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome from Fla!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast