Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

3 Ideas - UQs, mocs & packs

3 new ideas...

Thing1 hung with Sam I Am (American Bulldog) under her hammock, and worried about him being cold. She put a blanket on him, and arranged her hammock so it hung low, and Sam could sleep on the ground, but right up against her. It occurred to me that a skirt could be hung from a Baby Ocra to reach the ground, making a kind of dog house under the hammock. No insulation... just a breathable 1.1 skirt with a hole for an entrance, and a sit pad on the ground inside.

Thing1 and I wore our Merrels barefoot trail runners this weekend in the Gorge. We're working on a design for mocs that will do the same thing for less $$$. If you aren't into barefoot style hiking shoes (no heel strike!) they would still be very comfy for around camp.

Eighteen marathon runners passed us going the other way on Rock Jock... many of them had short packs with water bottles on the shoulder straps and a small bag between their shoulder blades. Made me think about how I've been using a MMP Canoe Pack with a belt that is not attached... why not put a MMP Front Pack on the back? Might need to be a couple of rows longer than a MMP Front Pack. It would ride just above the belt, but not attached to the belt, and you would have the very same carrying capacity (volume) because the belt has three PALS rows on it. If you prefer it attached, that can be done quickly with two straps. I can't wait to try this... makes it modular without modification.

Just thought I would share some ideas... stay tuned!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Always interested in new ideas coming down thw line Mac and these seems interesting for sure!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Interesting ideas Mac....

I have been slowly transitioning into minimalist hiking shoes and loving it, soon I will be transitioning into barefoot shoes for my daily use. I have been having a hard time finding a good pair that fits my foot properly as not many stores around me stock them, so the order and return thing has become a real chore. What type of sole were you thinking on using with the moc?

I know of a couple long distance trail runners that have used the small Aarn pack to much delight, I think they used the Marathon Magic 11???? I will try and get in contact with them to see what they are using again. So the idea of having something up front (water) and a smallish pack on back is a tried and true method. Looking forward to seeing the design you come up with.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    What type of sole were you thinking on using with the moc?
    We are working with single layer mocs (no sole) and mocs with one additional layer of leather for the sole, just as we make for mukluks. I've stopped putting vibram soles on mukluks.

We're talking real mocs, for serious barefoot hikers only... for all others, it is a camp shoe.

I've been wearing one pair of Merrel barefoot trail runners with smooth soles (Bare Access) every day for a year. They will not likely last more than a year.

This weekend in the Gorge, Thing1 and I wore Merrel barefoot trail runners with the more aggressive tread (Trail Glove). We hiked all of Rock Jock on Saturday, and went out to the Chimneys and back on Sunday. I have leg muscle aches, but no foot aches at all. In my day job, I stand all day long... no problem with the Bare Access shoes.

I am hoping I can make the mocs nice enough to wear with business casual attire. (fingers crossed!)
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Very cool, I look forward to seeing the final product.

Any particular reason you you stopped using the vibram soles? Other than for the traditional moc style.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Any particular reason you you stopped using the vibram soles?
    With mukluks, they gave no benefit when using them in the snow. I like to have a 3/8" wool felt insert, so the vibram only made it stiffer. Mukluks work far better with snowshoes when they are flexible.

Traditional mocs give you the ability to grip with your toes, like Five Fingers. You just have to be tough enough, or fool enough, to do without the protection of a thick, synthetic sole.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    With mukluks, they gave no benefit when using them in the snow. I like to have a 3/8" wool felt insert, so the vibram only made it stiffer. Mukluks work far better with snowshoes when they are flexible.

Traditional mocs give you the ability to grip with your toes, like Five Fingers. You just have to be tough enough, or fool enough, to do without the protection of a thick, synthetic sole.
    Makes sense.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I really like the idea of the dog skirt and I can see that working very well to protect the dogs from the elements. Great idea.

Fronkey

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Cranky try to find a pair of merrell minimalists. I love mine for running.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    sounds cool! I'm pretty much barefoot from April - Oct
    Look forward to what ya got up your sleeve

• + New Posts