Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly & Monsoon
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock webbing

Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter

Ok, I'm new to this site. Came across some video's on Youtube on hammock camping and thought "hey, that might be great for my back vs a sleeping pad and bag on the ground. Anyway, I've researched some of the favorites many of you seem to like in particular the Warbonnet Blackbird. Seemss very nice but maybe a little more than I'd like to spend.

I saw the Grand trunk Skeeter Beeter and thought I'd throw it out to see if y'all had any reaction or opinions on it. Looked pretty decent, especialy for around $60 (give or take). If it is one of those "you get what you pay for" things, please let me know.

A little about me- I'm 6'3" about 225-230 lbs and 42 years old. My back certainly is not as great as it used to be.

The other hammocks that looks interesting are the bridge hammocks. I like the idea of the spreader bars giving a little more lateral room....and maybe not putting your frame in quite the banana shape (not sure if that is a factor or not.

Thanks for entertaining my newbie questions, Matt

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly & Monsoon
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock webbing
    Ok, did a search earlier but didn't really come up with anything. Doh....I missed the stickies though. Going through those now.

Any opinions still welcomed though.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i dislike the skeeter beater and yes, " you get what you pay for"

while it boasts everything a camping hammock is designed for.. i've found it to be uncomfortable and "saggy", even with whoopie slings. the fabric forced me into a bathtub, making it hard to get on the diagonal. it also has no ridgeline (could be added very easily though). the suspension stock is worthless. i've woken up on the ground in a few hours.

these are just my assessments and experience. if you want bug protection, you're better off getting one of the 15$ grand trunk UL's and adding a separate bugnet.

the warbonnet is pricey, but its the porche of hammocks. the bridge hammocks are the cadillacs. both are awesome. that doesn't discount hennessy either. they go for sale all the time here.. you can usually score one for 100$, tarp included.

have fun. hyoh
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have a Skeeter Beeter Pro and it works's fine for me, I am 6'4 and 290.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I'm about the same size and age (although my back is in good condition "knock on wood"). I don't have a SB but I do have the Grand Trunk Ultralight (which I *think* is basically a SB without a net) and like it a lot. It's part of my lightweight setup, I sleep just fine in it but my general sense is that if you're looking for something heavy-duty, this probably isn't it. We're already kind of crowding the manufacturer's weight limits, and the hammock is made of a sort of stretchy polyester that, while comfortable (to me), does not scream "durability".

My DD hammock, by comparison, feels bombproof. I'm glad I have the GT for those times when I don't want to carry the weight and bulk of the DD, but the DD is my go-to rig.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    For my money, it is a good starter hammock. I had to buy one off my friend because I put a hole in his bug netting accidentally. So I inherited a hammock with a huge hole in the netting. I ended up cannibalizing it into a traveller hammock.

The reason I say it is a starter hammock is because it just isn't that easy with the stock suspension setup and the fabric stretches and sags quite a bit (I am 6'2'' 250lbs). You can make it work for you and there are people that have them and love them.

IMHO, get it, see if you like it. You can make it work, but i quickly fell out of love with it.

I do have a Grand Trunk UL and I do love it (that's because it cost 16 bucks and weighs 9 oz).

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    I've got one. I have been happy with it. I've been doing more cold weather camping and have my eye on a Clark but I'd still keep the SB for warmer weather.

If you are just getting your feet wet in hammock camping it's a inexpensive way to test the waters.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I had a Skeeter Beater Pro and I didn't like it at all. It wasn't very durable and the netting tore easily, the zipper always jammed on the bug net then tore some more. The bug net required a seperate line to be deployed , but it always seemed to sag in my face. It tacoed so badly I couldn't see out or get any ventilation, it also made it very hard to get out of. The stock suspension is unusable and potentionally dangerous if the s-hook snaps. Also, when using the pad, it slid around so much that I couldn't stay on it.

Keep in mind when considering the price that you'll need to up grade the suspension and probably get an underquilt to make it work. I highly recomend my WBBB but if you're looking for a cheaper option check out the Claytor Mosquito hammock. I don't have any first hand experiance with the hammock but I own and like the Diamond Fly. The hammock is double layered so it makes using a pad easier/possible. The hammock and tarp costs $150.00 shipped which seems like a good deal
    Last edited by Beast 71; 01-28-2011 at 21:09.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    i have used mine quite a bit on scouting events and slept in it for a week at Hidden Valley Scout reservation and had no issues i have the sb pro . i also have the travel version with no netting for winter both are rated at 400lb. capacity i like them however, i am not an expert just doing my thing finding my way... TRAV.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I have a few options, both gathered end and a bridge from JacksRBetter. I like them all, but for different reasons. There are pros and cons for each. Since you haven't gotten many comments on the bridge yet, I'll throw my two pence in there.

The bridge is super comfy. I like the flat lay I get and I don't feel the shoulder squeeze, like I did initially in my gathered end. I'm also still dialing in my "monster fraankensmurf" winter tarp to fit the width of the bridge better.

The gathered ends are wonderful in a different -- I'm snug as a bug -- sort of way. Initially, I suffered from shoulder squeeze and sore ankles in the gathered, but it just took some fiddling to iron those issues out and, now, I don't suffer from either. I like that it easily fits under either one of my tarps, too.

Each person is different. Each system is a starting point that can be fine-tuned to fit individual users. You just need to play and experiment a bit to find what is optimal for you. The best advice I've heard on this forum is to find a group hang and go check out other hangers' rigs and gear. See what they have and why. Check out their customizations.

My best to you. I can't wait to see whatcha end up with and how you customize it to suit you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast