Images

Grand Canyon - Spring Break with 2 Exchange Students

For Spring Break we took our two exchange students to see the Grand Canyon (Among other places). We already knew that Olena (From Ukraine) would be comfortable and happy in the Hammock because she loves camping and loves sleeping in the Hammock in our basement. Andrea (from Spain) was the big question mark because she had already told us that she did not like camping due to the bugs and had not been camping since she way 7 years old in her front yard.

We wanted to cover every possible contingency so that no matter what she would be comfortable. So

1- We gave her the PapaSmurf DangerBird Hammock because it has the over cover weather shield that should make her feel secure from bugs on her and give her extra warmth from wind.

Back up plan 1: A tent with sleeping pad (4 man tent).

Back up plan 2: The Car (Xterra with the seat folded down for a full flat lay with camping pad)

Well once we set up her hammock she told us that the over cover was too close to her and she felt Claustrophobic - and by the way the tent was also too Claustrophobic too so back up plan 2 was out She got in the Hammock initially and felt warm and comfortable - in fact she wanted to go to sleep right then she was so comfortable. But when night came she told us that she did not want the overquilt anywhere close to her face (Claustrophobia again).

Night 1 - So needless to say, the first night was not a success. She was cold up top. But worse was the fact that Olena and her and I were all tied off to the same tree and so when Olena started "getting her swing on" we all felt it. It made Andrea feel motion sick. She went to the car after about an hour because she was too cold and felt sick. She did not sleep that great in the car either. But, to her credit, she wanted to give the hammock another try on night 2 - probably because the car was warmer, but less comfortable.

Night 2 - I gave her my GoLite Down coat for her upperbody (I know...that is no less than having the overquilt on by her face, but it worked for her). I also gave her 2 independent trees all to herself and tied the side tieouts extra tight so she would not swing much if any. The result? She lasted all night!!! But her feet got cold and she went to the car the last hour (her feet did not warm up in there either so I think it was a circulation or crappy sock issue).

Olena slepy on my giant PapaSmurf DangerBird and was warm and tosty and loved it. I slept in my hammock that we made for the scouts - DIY from TableClothsFactory. I was warm and comfy. My wife was in a DIY one like mine, just a different color. She was also warm and toasty.

We had a great time and really enjoyed our vacation. Enjoy the video

Part One:

Part two if you are interested:
    Last edited by thenate1; 04-15-2013 at 17:30.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    So some learning curves and getting used to the change - but you taken the hammock conversion and gone international - congrats!!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Sounds like Andrea needs to be nowhere near the woods.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Loved the biken it to the Grand Canyon part, AND you filmed the actual riding part - GREAT! The Canyon itself is sooo massive, it looks fake, or like you said, like a backdrop. Great stuff! Talk about a picnic table with a view. The bike tour of the Canyon was a stroke of genius. Weird view from outside your room in Vegas. Restaurant food is a bit different to camp food. lol

Wow, this morning, I went to the Grand Canyon AND Las Vegas! Well, kind of went there. Thanks for the trip, thenate1!

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    great trip report, but you forgot the chocolate and the graham crackers!!!!

Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Thanks for posting, it's on my "To watch" list after I finished reading HF (huh is this possible? )

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

• + New Posts