Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I agree that the tie outs need some lovin. Mine looks like there was a middle piece of web, looks like it was cut off odd I think. Been looking at pull out points too. That will open it up even more. Just a bit of work no prob.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Pad & Blanket
    Suspension
    Straps
    Well I ordered one. I guess I will see when it gets here. I don't plan to be in any pumpkin floater storms and check the weather several times before I go out. I know there is always the chance of getting caught out in some bad weather but mostly it will be for keeping the dew off and break the wind. I'll buy a couple bottles of seam sealer and some camp dry and I'll bet besides maybe securing the tie outs a little better the tarp will give me several years of service. Plus if I ever get brave enough to build my own, I'll have a pattern and know what mods I will want to make.

Brian
    As I walk in the woods........ well......... I feel at peace with the world.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Pad & Blanket
    Suspension
    Straps
    It came. I saw. Gonna send it back if I can. It had a hole in it. Kinda bummed. Buy a kelty I guess?
    As I walk in the woods........ well......... I feel at peace with the world.

Hammock
    Gathered End
    Tarp
    Still Looking
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just wanted to give an actual hike update. I spent three days two nights out in the rain this weekend and the Guide Gear with all of the sealing that I did just did not hold up to the real thing. The walls did great however the ridge line seam leaked. I had to cover my hammock with an emergency foil blanket.

Thank goodness I had one temperatures got down pretty low at night.

I guess my next step will be to try the silicon and mineral spirits and just submerge the whole thing.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by digitizer101 View Post
    Just wanted to give an actual hike update. I spent three days two nights out in the rain this weekend and the Guide Gear with all of the sealing that I did just did not hold up to the real thing. The walls did great however the ridge line seam leaked. I had to cover my hammock with an emergency foil blanket.

Thank goodness I had one temperatures got down pretty low at night.

I guess my next step will be to try the silicon and mineral spirits and just submerge the whole thing.
    Your emergency shelter is advertised as "190T polyester with a 1,000 mm polyurethane coating." I personally don't think you got any polyurethane coating, but regardless, silicon and mineral spirits would work on a nylon tarp, not a polyester tarp.

What started out as a $19.99 bargain, me thinks is turning into a money pit, not to mention the time you've invested. You can't say that people didn't warn you on HF.

What still baffles me are those that claim these are great tarps and a great bargain. Some people are either seriously delusional, or the quality is so wildly inconsistent that a small minority can get a serviceable tarp and the rest get a piece of crap.

Based on all the reviews I've seen what with the 5-7 stitches per inch, the unintentionally detachable tieouts, etc., I think most of the satisfied customers are just plain delusional.

Prior to 2012, it seems the Guide Gear tarps were actually good value. Based on the stellar reviews I bought two last year and went through the same thing you're doing before concluding I got ripped off.

Luckily, I was able to purchase two Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarps a couple of years ago for $29.99 each that were actual 210T PU-coated waterproof ripstop polyester. Other than seam sealing them, I haven't had to do anything else to keep dry even in deluges.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345