Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New from SC

There's a guy on here, Bwess, posted some pics of his rig he put together for under 50.00. That includes a hammock + suspension, attatched bugnet and tarp. Really everything but insulation.

For insulation, i'll +1 the nod to reflectix. They keep it in the housing insulation portion of the Home Depot I found it at (and I had to check a few stores) but mine is 20"x25' and cost 15.00. That's enough for 4 6' pads. has an R-value of 3.7 so should handle anything SC has to through at it temp wise and light and plyable enough you could stuff it down your sleeping bag to keep it under you

Friend of mine used this type of setup down to 21* and said he was toasty warm all night, which I can vouch for as I stayed up all night freezing (it was my pad he was using, but my inflatable was failing to do it's job, almost woke him up and stole it back ) listening to him snore.

Hanging can be VERY cheap if you steal enough ideas

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Thank you so much everyone for the welcome and responses! It is great to see so many from SC. I have been doing some more research and thinking about some of the things Cranky mentioned. I have looked into double layer hammocks because I like the idea of $ savings with a pad. Wilderness logic Nightowl and Liteowl look interesting. It also got me wondering if we need a mosquito net for hiking mountains in SC spring and fall? We would like to hike sections of the Foothills trail.
    Tarps we are thinking about are the tadpole because it is light. But maybe bigger is better for the dogs sitting under, cooking, and hanging out in the rain. I know my son will want to hang close to at least one of us so how do you pitch big tarps x3 close together? We could get 2 smaller tarps and one bigger one. Tarps with doors are also interesting. It may just be bad mojo but experience has shown if we are camping there WILL be rain and wind at least one of the days.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Welcome from the upstate of SC near Greenville.

I often hike and camp in the mountain around here and I only bring a bug net from mid-April until early September (mid-August if it cools off enough to cut some bugs). Really campsite selection can help the most with bug around here. Stay away from the water and have a constant breeze at camp and you shouldn't have to deal with a lot of bugs.

We are here to help if we can.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Silny
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Welcome from N44 W123!

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Thank you Demitri and Jeremy,
    Jeremy my husband and I have enjoyed your videos of the Foothills Trail.
    We made a couple purchases today. It was too overwhelming to decide on an expensive hammock so we decided to get the Skeeter Beeter that we can use as a summer hammock with the bug net. After we go to some group hangs and figure out what we really want we will feel better spending on the right thing.
    We also got the Hennessey Hex as our tarp. My head so wanted the Tadpole for weight, but the Hennessey seemed better for my idea of what we will need. I know with experience our setup will evolve.
    We have our first camp out in a couple of weeks to test it all out with our local camping group. We usually glamp with our Apache and have all of the comforts of home. Our group has much bigger rigs than our pop-up. I wonder what they will think of our hammocks and rainflys and Heineken cans to heat up dehydrated dinners?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

New from SC

Welcome from Florida.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Funny....my husband brought home a pretty nice pop up camper that has been sitting here for 2.5 years now. I was supposed to redo the inside so I could take my son camping. Problem is, I can't figure out how to attach our hammocks to the outside of it, so it's still just sitting here, taking up space.

Welcome to the forums, from Ohio. We are very heavy into DIY and have pretty much done everything ourselves except for our tarps. One day I'll probably do that too, so that we have something more of what we want. I've outfitted myself, my mom, my son, my son's friend, and our neighbor and his 2 kids all very reasonably affordable.

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from Florida

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from Flroida. you will find all the info you need on this site.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    welcome from gaand to the madness
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts