Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies

New from SC

Hello,
    We are new from the Pee Dee region of SC. We are newbies to the idea of hammock camping. We have been camping in our 1975 Apache hardside pop-up camper for a while but want to expand our adventures to backpacking. It will be my husband and I and our 12 year old son and 3 dogs camping together. I am trying to put together the gear we need. Wanting to keep the weight down of our packs has led to thinking about hammocks.
    We love hammocks and have 3 packed inside our camper. They certainly seem way more fun than a tent, so that is where our hearts are leaning. We were considering the Hogback Tarptent as well.
    Putting together lightweight gear for the 3 of us has been a challenge in finances. Because of that we are thinking of getting the Skeeter Beeter Hammock Pro. I was looking at the Byer one but the Skeeter Beeter looks like it could hold more weight when we need to bring the dogs into the hammock.
    I have a few questions:
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a better hammock priced inexpensively?

That leaves the problem of tarps. I really need to find a compromise between cost and weight. Light tarps are expensive. Size is another issue. How big does it need to be to not get wet in wind and rain?

If I want to hang side by side with my son under the same tarp, how big does the tarp need to be?

One thing that led us away from the tent was the cost of a insulated pad. We plan on hiking upstate SC in spring and fall and would need protection if the temps dropped. The expensive light high r value inflatable pads might be popped from our rowdy dogs, and foam would be uncomfortable. I was hoping the hammock would make inexpensive foam insulation more comfortable. The cost of a down outer quilt would probably be too expensive for us right now.
    We are planning on getting the Kelty cosmic down 20 sleeping bag for around $ 110. It is fairly light. The backpack we are looking at is the Golite Jam 70 L. If I can find lightweight tarps at a good price our big 3 should not be very heavy.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Durangoz View Post
    Hello,
    We are new from the Pee Dee region of SC. We are newbies to the idea of hammock camping. We have been camping in our 1975 Apache hardside pop-up camper for a while but want to expand our adventures to backpacking. It will be my husband and I and our 12 year old son and 3 dogs camping together. I am trying to put together the gear we need. Wanting to keep the weight down of our packs has led to thinking about hammocks.
    We love hammocks and have 3 packed inside our camper. They certainly seem way more fun than a tent, so that is where our hearts are leaning. We were considering the Hogback Tarptent as well.
    Putting together lightweight gear for the 3 of us has been a challenge in finances. Because of that we are thinking of getting the Skeeter Beeter Hammock Pro. I was looking at the Byer one but the Skeeter Beeter looks like it could hold more weight when we need to bring the dogs into the hammock.
    I have a few questions:
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a better hammock priced inexpensively?
    Nope. For a full-featured system on the cheap, you won't do much better. You'll find something comparable in the Warbonnet BlackBird or the Dream Hammocks Dangerbird, but you're gonna spend considerably more for one of those than you will for the Skeeter Beeter.

That leaves the problem of tarps. I really need to find a compromise between cost and weight. Light tarps are expensive. Size is another issue. How big does it need to be to not get wet in wind and rain?
    Not terribly big. If you've got a smallish asym tarp, you can get it bloody close to your hammock and still stay dry. [/quote]

If I want to hang side by side with my son under the same tarp, how big does the tarp need to be?

One thing that led us away from the tent was the cost of a insulated pad. We plan on hiking upstate SC in spring and fall and would need protection if the temps dropped. The expensive light high r value inflatable pads might be popped from our rowdy dogs, and foam would be uncomfortable. I was hoping the hammock would make inexpensive foam insulation more comfortable. The cost of a down outer quilt would probably be too expensive for us right now.
    We are planning on getting the Kelty cosmic down 20 sleeping bag for around $ 110. It is fairly light. The backpack we are looking at is the Golite Jam 70 L. If I can find lightweight tarps at a good price our big 3 should not be very heavy.
    As far as insulation, it can be as cheap or inexpensive as you want it to be. I picked up a GI closed-cell foam pad on Ebay for about $5, and it works great...so do yoga mats. If you want to stay away from pads, an underquilt can be made if you've got any skills with a thread injector (sewing machine), and down can be found at thrift stores if you're lucky. Alternatively, I very highly recommend Lost_Biker and his website, underquilts.com for raw underquilt shells that you fill yourself - down pillows can be had for about $40.

Anything else, feel free to ask. Welcome to HammockForums from down the road in Irmo. There's lots of folks her in South Carolina who are more than happy to help get started, and I hope you take advantage of that. There's a trip this weekend in Raleigh that you're welcome to attend (last minute, I know) and there's also the Fall Sprawl coming up in a few months. Group hangs are a great place to get to know other like-minded folks and get to put eyes on gear and solutions to problems.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Another welcome from SC. There is a group hang coming up in May on Lake Greenwood. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=65529
    I would highly recommend going to a group hang. You will get lots of ideas and see many different systems. Hope to meet you and your family at a hang sometimes.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Thanks Gresh,
    I love the idea of the underquilts shells. I have some down blankets I could repurpose!

Gran, that sounds like fun! I will talk to my husband about going. It would be hard for him to resist a low country boil!

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer w/ Whoopie Slings
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

New from SC

Welcome from the Clover area of SC. I am a leader for a Boy Scout Troop that is quickly converting over from tents to hammocks. It is definitely the best thing to come about since sliced bread.
    I guess it's a good thing there is no professional help for this hanging addiction!:

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: New from SC

Welcome from Greenwood...although, I am a Pee Dee girl myself. I was born and raised in Florence. Hope you can join us on a group hang. I will be in the Pee Dee area in two weeks, most likely, if you'd like to get together and talk gear. I can bring my setup along. If you are on Facebook, find our state group page link in my signature.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    Howdy from Myrtle Beach. Always great to see new hangers in the area. As stated, please come to a group hang. We are always ready to show off gear and answer questions. And maybe we can get together on a Sunday somewhere and chat. Or give me a heads up if you are ever down here. Enjoy and have fun with your new addiction.
    Leave me alone, I'm only talking to my dog today.

I may be outnumbered, but never outmanned.

Palmetto State Hangers: We're not crazy, the Groundpounders are!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For insulation on the cheap, you can get a roll of reflectix. I have used it between the layers of my WBBB DBL 1.7 and I was toasty, I think it may have been in the 40's.

as far as a tarp you could go with a Kelty Noahs 12, it is huge and not to expensive.

The reflectix can be had for about 20 +/- a roll at lowes. I think the roll is 24" x 25 feet long.

Google reflectix

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Hi! I'm originally from Darlington and often wish I was back.

If I knew starting out what I know now, I think I would select a double layer hammock (so you can slip a pad in between the layers), no bug net for the mountains of NC, use a blue Walmart pad, probably whoopie slings, straps and a large silnylon tarp like the Hennessey hex. My first next purchase would be a top quilt to replace my sleeping bag. Also, I really like Permathrin sprayed on my clothes and hammock for mosquitos, ticks and red-bugs.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*
    Welcome from Arizona. Have fun with all the new info you are about to take in. It is one heck of a ride!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast