DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Cat Hex Tarp Side Entry Mod Idea

Hey all,

This is my first post on any forum ever. So, I hope this goes smooth.

I just wanted to drop an idea on the community and see what you guys make of it before I go trying to learn to sew and stuff. :-)

Alright, the basic idea is to make a side entry hammock tarp/tarp tent. I know you guys hate the T word. Sorry, I think the idea is worth the vulgarity. Here is my drawing and I'll explain below.

So that's the idea. I was originally thinking of a modified WB mamajama. I would use a cross supporting tent pole in the center of the tarp similar to what I've seen some of the guys doing to support their panel pulls. Then, from where the tent pole is attached to the tarp I would cut cat curves down to the corner tie outs. Then by stitching some custom curved triangles to match the cut outs, I could make a vestibule with a zipper and flap to help with rain intrusion (just like a normal tent).

Tie out the corners as usual and hypothetically, the cat curves between the tent pole attachment and the tree tie out point should bring it fairly taught, yes? Then you just bungee out one side of the vestibule so the other can unzip and roll up. Or if you opened and rolled both sides, you get a much more open structure with easier access to the center of the hammock while still retaining some protection against light rain and sun.

Then if you need or want to go to ground, a couple of hiking poles supports the tree tie out points and the rest is set up as normal. This would be great if you are using your hammock as a bivy or want to substitute a side entry net tent for 2+ people. Much easier access than trying to crawl in the end.

Also, I just like the idea of how much more useable space you might get under a smaller tarp by adding the height the pole might provide and the space the vestibule would add. In my opinion, central hammock is where most of the activity happens and where we need the most space and freedom to move. (unless of course you have a bridge, then you need the space for the spreader bars.)

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Dynamystic; 04-16-2013 at 13:56. Reason: typos

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images

Perhaps with this pole

I just stumbled upon this picture and thought, hey, maybe that style pole would work with this tarp design? Check out the mutha hubba pole (the yellow one in this picture).

That could be interesting. Perhaps the four corners that you would normally guy out could then attach to points on the hammock itself, spreading the hammock body for increased hammock room and only requiring one set of staked tie outs for the vestibule doors themselves. Unless it was windy of course, then you'd want to add the other tie outs.

Does anyone know where a guy could find a hub like they use? I'm having trouble locating a possible source?

Would this work you think?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Dynamystic; 04-16-2013 at 19:47.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    I think its a great idea! go 4 it

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Suspension
    cinch bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    I just stumbled upon this picture and thought, hey, maybe that style pole would work with this tarp design? Check out the mutha hubba pole (the yellow one in this picture).

That could be interesting. Perhaps the four corners that you would normally guy out could then attach to points on the hammock itself, spreading the hammock body for increased hammock room and only requiring one set of staked tie outs for the vestibule doors themselves. Unless it was windy of course, then you'd want to add the other tie outs.

Does anyone know where a guy could find a hub like they use? I'm having trouble locating a possible source?

Would this work you think?

Cheers.
    I have a mutha hubba. There is a good amount of tension put on the corners of the tent from that x-pole. You would have to at least have ropes or straps around the circumference of the bottom of the tarp to keep the dome shape.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronist View Post
    I have a mutha hubba. There is a good amount of tension put on the corners of the tent from that x-pole. You would have to at least have ropes or straps around the circumference of the bottom of the tarp to keep the dome shape.
    Thanks for the feedback!

I have a hennessy hammock currently and I use a tent pole across my diamond tarp and then attach the centered hammock tie outs to the ends of the tent pole making a self supporting tarp that also pulls out the sides of my hammock for more interior room. No staked tie outs required unless there is wind. I like this a lot but want a larger hex tarp for more covered ground space and added weather protection. Hence the post.

So, I am thinking that if I use this mutha hubba tent pole, would an adjustable line from each corner tied to the center tie out point of my HH be enough to support the dome? Basically it would be a v from the center of my hammock out to the two corners, or an X between all for with a hammock in between.

Next question, where would I get the mutha hubba tent pole without buying the whole tent?
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    It seems like a neat idea. I will be interested to see how it turns out.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    im curious myself.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks guys but I'm still a ways off from getting this going unfortunately. I want to wait until I can track down some .344 pole hubs or a mutha hubba tent pole replacement. Not having a lot of luck. It sure would be nice to play with dimensions and pole configurations before I spend much time and money trying to put the tarp together.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    does anyone know a supplier of dac pole products? They look like the stuff I need.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images

Cat Hex Tarp Side Entry Mod Idea

Not dac but quest outfitters does sell pole parts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast