Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In my transition to sleeping in hammocks, I relied heavily on pillows. I love pillows!

However, when I went to longer hammocks sans integrated bugnet, I found I didn't need a pillow. I kind of felt like a pillow was a bed thing, and wasn't really necessary in a 10.5 ft tablecloth or 11 ft. BIAS hammock.

If I use my shorter hammocks (HH Exped Zip, Byer Moskito), I really have to have a pillow.

Hammock
    WBRR and WBBB
    Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images

Re: It's all about the pillow

I love my exped pillow. It's amazing an air pillow can feel so good. Since you only have to fill it about 40 percent it maximizes the comfort. And it's only 3oz.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Double duty=me hating to carry a pillow just as a pillow.
    The rei inflatable sit pad works perfect for me as pillow loving the air adjust dial, it really emulates the swim arms approach in comfort AND it acts as frame/padding for my Zimmer pack and of course as a sit pad on top of the stool on the daily breaks along the way
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

You are so right.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    If you're REALLY into counting the ounces, then you're best bet for a pillow with any significant support will probably have to be repurposed clothing.

I assume you have a down jacket of some kind, being in the desert and being UL. Maybe you should consider making a microfiber stuff sack that you can put your down jacket in??? Probably the cheapest option as well. And you're only adding however much your stuff sack would weigh.
    You are so right, and in fact the night I was first playing with the Montbell pillow, I was also fiddling with using a down vest I virtually always carry. On one hand it might be just the thing for a pillow if it was allowed to just fluff up and fill a stuff sack. And I could sew one up in a few minutes with just the shape I wanted (or the 3rd or 4th sack, when I finally got the size and shape right). It didn't really do the trick just bunched or folded up.

On the other hand though, being a cold sleeper, I am almost always wearing that vest since I have to do all I can to stay warm. In fact that is a general ultralight approach, namely to wear all your clothes to bed and carry just enough additional insulation to get through the night. I break the rules and allow some things for sleep warmth and comfort. 2.5 ounces for the MontBell pillow fits into my weight budget.

In short, I am not REALLY into counting the ounces in every area.

I'll see how warm my hammock rig will be with the underquilt I just ordered. If it doesn't require wearing the vest for extra warmth (and it might not), then that becomes my pillow and the quest for the perfect stuff sack // pillow case will begin.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Someone tell me why the quantity and quality of down sufficient for a summer UQ* needs to be stuffed into a hammock pillow for sleeping comfort.

No glib answers please: We all understand compressibility. We don't all understand why the right combination of air and WASHABLE polyester fiber batting is not superior to 5+oz of 800+ FP down.

There is much to be said for washing and quick re-use of what a dirty neck and scalp will spend intimate nights with isn't there? That's even if we use mouthwash before turning in. ISTM that a wet down- packed pillow makes for a slow drying and useless bit of kit (And the more hi-zoot and impermeable the fabric, the slower it dries and the more likely it is to grow moldy while damp.

* a 40F rated HG summer UQ has just 4 oz of 900FP fill
    even a 3 season, 20F, Warbonnet Yeti fill =6.5oz
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-17-2013 at 01:07.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Someone tell me why the quantity and quality of down sufficient for a summer UQ* needs to be stuffed into a hammock pillow for sleeping comfort.

No glib answers please: We all understand compressibility. We don't all understand why the right combination of air and WASHABLE polyester fiber batting is not superior to 5+oz of 800+ FP down.

There is much to be said for washing and quick re-use of what a dirty neck and scalp will spend intimate nights with isn't there? That's even if we use mouthwash before turning in. ISTM that a wet down- packed pillow makes for a slow drying and useless bit of kit (And the more hi-zoot and impermeable the fabric, the slower it dries and the more likely it is to grow moldy while damp.

* a 40F rated HG summer UQ has 4 oz of 900FP fill
    even a 3 season, 20F, Warbonnet Yetti fill =6.5oz
    I have to agree with you on this. It almost seems elitist to have a down pillow for hiking. There are so so many great options available that are inflatable. My down pillows at home are mostly feather for support cause high loft down just compresses under head. I have always used an inflatable for hiking. This past fall my long time friend, the cheap air pillow from walmart, finally died. So I'm in need of a new one cause clothes just do t cut it long term for me. Thanks to all for the great suggestions.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Summer's coming to the Northern Hemisphere, and not-yet-outlawed, and-not-yet-safe-for-life-preserviing small-kids arm-surround inflatable "floats" or "floaties" have been recommended here, Cheap enough to be low risk for a trial and disappointment.

Something like these:

http://www.mansionathletics.com/arm-...FQ9dQgodjxQAnQ

Note the plural: "These", so you a pair for $6. Where the chambers don''t communicate, you carefully cut between them to create a foot / .3M wide pillow.

Obviously you wrap them in a fabric cover. Maybe inject some down, despite the quality down shortage. Or glue feathers on. (Is this the DIY forum?)

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

* a 40F rated HG summer UQ has just 4 oz of 900FP fill
    even a 3 season, 20F, Warbonnet Yeti fill =6.5oz
    Have no choice in seeking a heavy pillow to carry due to lower back pain caused by slipped disc in back. I have to have a pillow to keep my back and neck alined or I develop sevear back pain. Its not that I like this setup,,its just that works for me in the prevention of back pain. As far as blow up pillows,,just hate them and sweat profusidly in using them even in winter. Down is lighter than synthetic. Just my 2 cents but what ever floats your boat,,use it.
    Last edited by Acer; 04-17-2013 at 05:27.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I totally agree with demo as well, and I too use a Walmart inflatable neck pillow. I think that for true backpacking you can't get much better for weight or compressibility without having something that will compress under you leaving much to be desired. I wouldn't through hike with mine, because the fleece cover stinks after only a few nights use, but I would figure something out for that. My car camping pillow is a 24"x14"x1" piece of open cell foam that is folded into 3rds inside a jersey cotton pillowcase. It weighs right at a pound and compresses to about the size of a soda can when it's really compressed, but its the most comfy pillow I have tried to date. Anyways that's my two cents. (for what it's worth)
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I have neck problems and have to use a concave pillow at home - even in the hammock - or I wind up with my neck so sore I can't turn my head. I got really lucky a couple of years ago and found a foam concave travel pillow at Canadian Tire and I don't camp without it! It was $10. I only wish I would have bought a couple of them. It compresses ok, you guys wouldn't like it for backpacking but I make sure I have room in the kayak for it. In a pinch, I guess I could use one of those travel pillows that's shaped like a U
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast