DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

It's all about the pillow

The past two nights I have had a significant breakthrough in hammock comfort and excellent sleep. And it is all about the pillow.

First I tried a full sized USDA regulation pillow. Great for laying in the hammock reading, but I would need medical attention if I spent a night with it cranking my head up. So I tried to make do (all this experimenting in my garage hang) with folded up fleece vests or sweaters like I might well do when backpacking. Better than nothing at all, and especially useful for stopping cool breezes that want to run down my neck.

But then I dug out my Mont-Bell inflatable pillow that is part of my ultralight backpacing kit. Inflated it somewhat less than half way (ridiculously loose and floppy till you get your head on it). This is absolutely perfect. And it is better than perfect when I put it in a cotton pillowcase (I find it much much nicer than laying my head on rubberized fabric).

Exped also makes an inflatable pillow - probably even nicer than the Mont-Bell. An overpriced luxury that I cannot recommend too highly. At some point I will probably fool around with some polyester fluff making a DIY mini-pillow and see if that is better yet, but this is so good that there is little motivation for further experimenting in that direction.

The best thing yet. I sleep like a dead man. And although I am a side sleeper on the ground, with the hammock and this pillow setup, I find sleeping on my back entirely to my liking. Maybe this is old news to everyone.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Lynx 20*
    Congrats on the revelation, there have been a few other threads on this but just like everything else it is personal preference. I just use a folded shirt or jacket.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Agreed. Pillows are very important for me, too, even in a hammock. I have the HammockGear pillow and really like it. My only adjustment if I were to repurchase might be to get one that had a fleece-like fabric on one side for the softer feeling.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Asym
    Insulation
    Windshiedeflectors
    I thought about using a kid size water wing inside a small cloth or fleece sack -- just never remember to shop for the water wings when in season.

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Agreed. Pillows are very important for me, too, even in a hammock. I have the HammockGear pillow and really like it. My only adjustment if I were to repurchase might be to get one that had a fleece-like fabric on one side for the softer feeling.
    My ENO pillow is like this, nylon on one side, fleece on the other. Not UL but not a real burden either and worth the comfort. Was a staple in my kit until I found this pillow pocket on my Big Agnes bag. Now I jam my down hoodie in it and it's PERFECT.

I hear you on pillow comfort

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelieon
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Nothing yet
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetles

I have a grand trunk pillow which I use with my ENO DN. I really like it because it is adjustable (via a drawstring), so I can fine tune the loft if it's too flat or too fluffy.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

The Montbell pillow is my pillow of choice.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    My ENO pillow is like this, nylon on one side, fleece on the other. Not UL but not a real burden either and worth the comfort. Was a staple in my kit until I found this pillow pocket on my Big Agnes bag. Now I jam my down hoodie in it and it's PERFECT.

I hear you on pillow comfort
    Those pillow pockets are nice.

I'm eyeing this one at BlackRockGear. If they ever get it back in stock, I'll have a tough time not getting one .
    http://www.blackrockgear.com/pillow.html
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Those pillow pockets are nice.

I'm eyeing this one at BlackRockGear. If they ever get it back in stock, I'll have a tough time not getting one .
    http://www.blackrockgear.com/pillow.html
    I got that pillow last year, and to me, it just plain sucked and flat and compressed down to nothing . I took all the down out of it and restuffed it with 4 oz of down from Wilderness Logics and now its MY pillow at 5.3 ozes...and solid for my neck and head,,love this pillow but, like I say, when you get it, it will lay flat when you put your head on it. At 4 oz of down,,it rocks tho. and the one side is sooo soft.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I got that pillow last year, and to me, it just plain sucked and flat and compressed down to nothing . I took all the down out of it and restuffed it with 4 oz of down from Wilderness Logics and now its MY pillow at 5.3 ozes...and solid for my neck and head,,love this pillow but, like I say, when you get it, it will lay flat when you put your head on it. At 4 oz of down,,it rocks tho. and the one side is sooo soft.
    That's great feedback, thanks. Boy, for the amount I'd spend on it up front + replacing down, I might just make my own similar one as I really like the design (soft on one side, plus that nice flap at the top - one thing I don't like about the HammockGear pillow is that the tie-off string comes right off the pillow and sometimes rubs on my head).

Can you get a sense for what type of material the soft stuff is? Just a small piece of micro-fleece? Something else?
    Brian
    Denver, CO

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast