Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

XLC Weights

I picked up a WBBB XLC 1.1 DL today at Warbonnet. As everyone else has reported, this thing is great so far, which is right inline with expectations. The standard BB is the most comfortable gathered-end I've used and this one is even better!

While certainly not a UL hammock, there's a good chance I'll bring this backpacking. As a result, I took everything apart and weighed each component so I can best determine what to bring and how much a given configuration weighs.

WBBB XLC 1.1 DL Weights:
    TOTAL: 36.9 oz
    Body: 15.6 oz
    Solid top: 6.6 oz
    Net top: 6.1 oz
    Tie-outs: 1.15 oz
    Stuff sack: .8 oz
    Suspension (straps/buckles): 6.4 oz

The good news is that the total weight was within .1 ounces of Warbonnet's listed weight!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thanks for the info. Switching to whoopies will help shave around 3-4 ounces.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Thanks for the info. Switching to whoopies will help shave around 3-4 ounces.
    I weighed my lighter suspension setup (6' 7/64 whoopies, 6' tree straps, 2 small continuous loops for the channels and 2 titanium whoopie hooks) and it came to about 4.5 oz, saving 2. I'll definitely switch to that as it's my preferred method but I've always been surprised at how little the switch actually saves.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I always tried to keep my other hammocks light by using whoopies attached directly to the hammock (passed through the end channels twice and lark's headed), but on the WBBB XLC I just ordered, I decided to try webbing suspension.

As it comes from Warbonnet, how are the suspension components arranged? I've never used or have even seen a webbing suspension and don't know how the hammock is attached to the buckles.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    I weighed my lighter suspension setup (6' 7/64 whoopies, 6' tree straps, 2 small continuous loops for the channels and 2 titanium whoopie hooks) and it came to about 4.5 oz, saving 2. I'll definitely switch to that as it's my preferred method but I've always been surprised at how little the switch actually saves.
    Thanks, I've been curious on the actual weight savings on this. I've been debating switching out - so far I've kept the stock webbing suspension.. as one of the gurus told me, "keep it simple stupid" works well.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Thanks, I've been curious on the actual weight savings on this. I've been debating switching out - so far I've kept the stock webbing suspension.. as one of the gurus told me, "keep it simple stupid" works well.
    Sure thing. The straps/buckles are definitely one of the simpler ways to go.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    I always tried to keep my other hammocks light by using whoopies attached directly to the hammock (passed through the end channels twice and lark's headed), but on the WBBB XLC I just ordered, I decided to try webbing suspension.

As it comes from Warbonnet, how are the suspension components arranged? I've never used or have even seen a webbing suspension and don't know how the hammock is attached to the buckles.

Take it easy,
    desmobob
    The buckle/strap suspension is definitely the best configuration to order from Warbonnet. I often switch it out, but it's just so all my gathered-end hammocks are set up the same way. The stock setup is nice.

It's a small continuous loop larks-headed around the gathered ends and splied onto the two triangle buckles. Long straps are then threaded through the two buckles. You can then wrap the strap around the tree and use a carabiner or dutch clip to hold the strap onto the tree.

Brandon has a pretty decent setup video that shows how the suspension works - and some good tips on setting up the Blackbird, here:
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/setup.php
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    The buckle/strap suspension is definitely the best configuration to order from Warbonnet. I often switch it out, but it's just so all my gathered-end hammocks are set up the same way. The stock setup is nice.

It's a small continuous loop larks-headed around the gathered ends and splied onto the two triangle buckles. Long straps are then threaded through the two buckles. You can then wrap the strap around the tree and use a carabiner or dutch clip to hold the strap onto the tree.

Brandon has a pretty decent setup video that shows how the suspension works - and some good tips on setting up the Blackbird, here:
    http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/setup.php
    breyman,

Thanks for the information. I had seen photos of Warbonnets with what appeared to be (turns out it is) a continuous loop directly through the buckles. That looked odd to me... I thought the buckles would wear/cut the loop, but I guess not!

Anxiously awaiting my Camo Superfly and XLC dbl. 1.7,
    desmobob

• + New Posts