Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    One additional benefit of having a biner or Dutch Biner etc. at the tree would be if you need to raise your suspension attachment point at the tree after you have set your hammock up.

If you're attached to a pine for example, you may have limb after limb up the tree that you can't simply slide the suspension up the tree. If you threaded your webbing through itself, you'd have to detach your webbing from your hammock, unthread your webbing through the eye, move the suspension up the tree, rethread the webbing through the eye, reattach the hammock to the webbing.

I've been in this situation many times where the hang isn't quite right and have to move the suspension up or down multiple times. With a biner or Dutch Biner you can leave your hammock setup, unclip the biner, move the webbing up the tree and reclip the biner to itself.
    +1

It's fast setup/takedown.

And, a brightly colored biner is a visual reminder, when breaking down the setup, to not forget the straps.

So far, I've only forgotten them once and that was in the lab..aka the backyard.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images

The real value.

Speed and convenience is great...

But IMHO... the greatest value is as a water break... The 1'+ bit of metal will cause the capillary stream to break and water goes to ground and the hammock always stays dry with out the use of drip cords, tied on socks etc.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Dutch clips are awesome. They make things so nice and easy (and a little faster...not much though) and the Ti ones are so light there's no reason not to have them.

HYOH.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Very compelling responses since I last checked this thread yesterday... The more water breaks the better, for sure; and I see that moving the suspension up or down between a branch would otherwise require unthreading and rethreading the tape through its loop (which would, in turn require disassembly of the downstream suspension).

I still see them as a way to possible cut through the straps. No one has had any inkling of problem with the Ti clips in the field? Also, the angle that you must use them properly doesn't cause misalignment with your continuous ridgelines? If y'all say they're good-to-go then I'll pull the trigger on them. I just have my doubts since I never had a issue (in terms of webbing integrity or ridgeline alignment) just feeding my tape through its own loop.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    One additional benefit of having a biner or Dutch Biner etc. at the tree would be if you need to raise your suspension attachment point at the tree after you have set your hammock up.

If you're attached to a pine for example, you may have limb after limb up the tree that you can't simply slide the suspension up the tree. If you threaded your webbing through itself, you'd have to detach your webbing from your hammock, unthread your webbing through the eye, move the suspension up the tree, rethread the webbing through the eye, reattach the hammock to the webbing.

I've been in this situation many times where the hang isn't quite right and have to move the suspension up or down multiple times. With a biner or Dutch Biner you can leave your hammock setup, unclip the biner, move the webbing up the tree and reclip the biner to itself.

This is exactly the reason I ordered my first set of Dutch clips after three years of simply threading the strap through the loop.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have had a Dutch Clips on my tree straps for about 3 or 4 years now I reckon. No sign of wear. Went the the Ti Dutch Clip last year. Been on several trips and no problems. Love 'em.
    Also have utilized a Dutch biner on my suspension between whoopie sling and the continual loop coming of my hammock. for many a year as well.
    For minimal grams they add some ease to my set-up so I can spend lolly-gagging in my hammock in the piney woods.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12