Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Plan to thru hike the SHT in September and noticed many members on this forum are familiar with the trail. Hoping you would answer a few questions:

1. How hard is it to hitch a ride from trail to Two Harbors? Are there any transportation services in that area?
    2. Would like to spend the night in Grand Marias, Finland, and Two Harbors. As a generality, is it necessary to call a campground from the trail to make a reservation?
    3. It is my understanding that Northshore Section to Jay Cook Visitors Center is basically a city walk. Does that mean motel to motel? Is it worth doing?
    4. In the typical September, can the respective streams under the Encampment River, Split Rock River Bridge, and Trout Creek Bridge be forded?

Thanks in advance.
    Recalc
    1. Others have had success. If you don't want to take the chance there is the Superior Shuttle/ or Harriet Quarles

2. Generally its wise to reserve a site on the north shore, it can be pretty over run. However by September, as school has started, you'll probably be ok with a walk in. A lot depends / varies of course on campground's in that area. For a few it's going to be quite a road walk at those points you mentioned.

3. If you're not concerned about any sort of completion agenda and just are wanting to do the wilderness section of a SHT thru hike count on ending at the Martin Road trailhead. From there to Jay Cooke is, aye, mostly walking through Duluth. Though Jay Cooke is quite nice.

4. You should be fine under normal circumstances, especially Split Rock.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    1. Others have had success. If you don't want to take the chance there is the Superior Shuttle/ or Harriet Quarles

2. Generally its wise to reserve a site on the north shore, it can be pretty over run. However by September, as school has started, you'll probably be ok with a walk in. A lot depends / varies of course on campground's in that area. For a few it's going to be quite a road walk at those points you mentioned.

3. If you're not concerned about any sort of completion agenda and just are wanting to do the wilderness section of a SHT thru hike count on ending at the Martin Road trailhead. From there to Jay Cooke is, aye, mostly walking through Duluth. Though Jay Cooke is quite nice.

4. You should be fine under normal circumstances, especially Split Rock.
    Only thing I'd add to this is that a lot of the walk through Duluth isn't really on the streets. Duluth is a very forested city and a lot of the trail is in the woods. No camping, but some great views on the west end, especially.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    Only thing I'd add to this is that a lot of the walk through Duluth isn't really on the streets. Duluth is a very forested city and a lot of the trail is in the woods. No camping, but some great views on the west end, especially.
    Aye, I shouldn't have downplayed the "city" walk, I just always dismiss it because there's no camping. I used to live in Proctor and it always amazed me how "wild" that west end section felt being right on the edge of town. And then bam you come to an over look and there's an amazing view of Duluth. Made for some great after work walks with the dog.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The SHT website has a lot of good info.....http://shta.org/thru-hiking/
    Have a good walk.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Aye, I shouldn't have downplayed the "city" walk, I just always dismiss it because there's no camping. I used to live in Proctor and it always amazed me how "wild" that west end section felt being right on the edge of town. And then bam you come to an over look and there's an amazing view of Duluth. Made for some great after work walks with the dog.
    I used to live in Proctor, too. 2001-2005 on Meadow ST.

I guess there is camping at Bagley on the UMD campus now (part of the Duluth sections), but I'm not sure of the regulations, fees, etc. A western option for camping would be a great addition to the trail.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    1. Thank you all for your helpful responses, they are appreciated. Although I hate to over plan, a campground reservation will be made at Grand Marais. A phone call to Finland and Two Harbors will be made from the trail on the day before from the trail.
    2. Will take my chances with hitching to Two Harbors. Worst case, it is appears to be only a 6 mile walk.
    3. Will decide what to do with the Northshore section in September. Since visiting opportunities are limited being from Kansas, I’m reluctant to blow it off just yet.
    4. Good to know there is a decent chance of fording those streams in September

I believe the SHT experience will be an enjoyable one. Thanks again.
    Recalc

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234