Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Superior Hiking Trail

My soon to be wife and I are planning on hiking the SHT either this fall or next spring. She only wants to hike for one week. My first question is what part of the trail is the easiest yet still offering some nice scenery?
    I'm thinking that if we do a 7 day hike, we can manage with only one resupply.
    I've never camped in a part of the country that has bears, educate me please.
    North to south, south to north?
    Bugs?
    Mail drops?
    How much food do you carry with you at a time? 3 days, 4 days?
    Any words of wisdom?

Thanks

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Fronkey just did a winter through hike on the SHT and has done a lot in the summer, as has Shug and a few other MN hikers. They would be your best fountains of information. Have fun and congrats on your upcoming nuptuals!
    Debi

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I've hiked most of the SHT and in my opinion the whole trail is nice, but the best parts are the harder parts to hike. It's the peaks and ridges that offer great views, but are harder to hike. I'd get the new guide book if you haven't already.

As for bears, I've never seen one on that trail, but they are there. I generally hang my food every night, but others don't. The SHTA recommends that everyone does so that bears do not get habituated to human food.

Bugs can be bad on the trail especially if you go during the summer. Early spring and late fall aren't too bad. Probably not a bad idea to bring a bug net. I also bring a bug net for my head for while I'm hiking.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Superior Hiking Trail

So many good sections on the SHT. I'd recommend most any section south of Grand Marais. The northern most part of the trail sees the least use and can get pretty thick with growth. The Finland area (Tettegouche, Crosby Manitou) is real nice. In spring time the ticks are bad...that is unless you use permethrin and tuck in your pant legs. Mosquitos are hit and miss. I haven't noticed them much at all the past couple years on several trips. Black flies are an issue in late spring/early summer. I highly recommend you pickup the Superior Hiking Trail guide book. They just released the 7th Edition and it contains a wealth of detailed info on the trail.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Just thought of the lake walk area on the northern side of the trail...that's a pretty beautiful spot and its fairly easy. that whole area is cool with the devils kettle, lake walk, devil track canyon, and pin cushion mountain. If you go to this area leave some extra time to explore around the mountain. The trail walks up to an overlook for it, but its so much cooler if you explore a bit. This would also allow for a resupply in grand marais which is pretty close to the trail (right after pin cushion mountain)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I love the area around Finland, MN.....Manitou River is mighty fine. Been up and down that trail many a time and it never disappoints.
    If you want to peruse some video footage I have a lot in my YouTube Trip Reports....http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL42A47C8FBAB9C49A
    Also check out the SHT website...http://www.shta.org
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Superior Hiking Trail

Yeah, although the lake walk is really hard on your legs walking on sand and those little rocks causing you to sink down. Next time I do that section I'll be taking the road instead, LOL!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Yeah, although the lake walk is really hard on your legs walking on sand and those little rocks causing you to sink down. Next time I do that section I'll be taking the road instead, LOL!
    Not sure why everyone thinks its bad....I enjoyed it. Road walking is way harder on my knees and feet.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree with Shug on his suggestion. Hwy 1- Temperance river is my favorite section of the trail.

As for bears, just hang your food atleast 200ft from your camp and you will be perfectly fine. They really aren't an issue at all out there.

As for bugs, if you time it right you won't even need a bug net.

As got NOBO/SOBO, I really like to hike southbound and it's actually an easier hike.

As for mail drops, here is a list of the ones I use and they work great. Mail Drops

When planning your trip there are things to consider like how many miles you want to do in a day and what you want to see. Fortunately, the SHT is an awesome trail and there is plenty to see in every section.

Except for the lake walk. That is just awful!. lol

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    Not sure why everyone thinks its bad....I enjoyed it. Road walking is way harder on my knees and feet.
    It's like walking in rocky quick sand. If you walk the dirt next to the road it is exactly like walking the trail.

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast