Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest

First outing could have gone better...

New to hammockforums, first time posting. I received an ENO doublenest for my birthday last month and have been reading all the great tips available here. I figured I needed to get out on the hammock for a night to start my own experiences. I set up my hammock in the backyard, checked the weather to be certain there was no rain in the forecast (no tarp), and grabbed my sleeping bag and pillow for my outing.

I’m sure we all have funny stories about a new venture, but my girlfriend, roommate, work associates, and clients didn’t appreciate my first night out. So I thought I would share with folks here since I’ll be learning from your experiences as I move from my tent to my hammock.

I must have missed the part about how difficult it is to get into a sleeping bag while in a hammock. The slippery material, a moving hammock, and a zipper that didn’t want to slide easily – well lets just say it took everything I had not to flip out and I think I pulled a couple muscles. Oh well, I was finally in my zipped up sleeping bag and ready for a good night sleep. That good night sleep lasted 3 hours, then the winds started to gust and the temperature dropped. Wow, I don’t remember coming out of a sound sleep so fast. My backside was freezing, the sides of my hammock were flapping, and this 240 lb person was swinging in the wind. Thirty minutes later I decided it was time to head indoors. Then panic struck – how am I going to get out of this sleeping bag…

Even though my first night was cut short, I’m excited about getting out again and learning the art of hammock camping. I have a new appreciation for tarps, socks, quilts (under and top), hammock setup, sleeping positions, etc…

I know you all have had some fun experiences camping in a hammock and I look forward to reading more of those as I continue my research.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF! It gets better. I think my first night was much like your first, except I was in a Hennessy and suddenly wanted to get OUT! Since I moved to a "top-loader" I don't have those issues. I love your picture, looks like you're trying unsuccessfully to escape.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Keep at it! It does get better. My first night I had a freezing back side too! You learn. It's all part of the fun. Thank goodness I did a lot of yard testing before going out on trail.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    No bottom insulation for the loss : (

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    There are a lot of us that have stories to tell like this. Last weekend I put eye hooks in my garage to hang my hammock.

I got the hammock all set up and climbed in and laid down. As soon as I laid down the eye hook let go. It bent outward and the caribiner I had attached to the eye hook came flying at me like a missile and nailed me in the thumb knuckle. My knuckle turn black and blue.

Needless to say I put some heavy duty eye hooks in there place and have not had a problem since.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Other than struggling with your SB and getting cold, how comfortable did you find the hammock?
    I also had a heck of a time getting zipped up on my first night out, then when I started to get the cold delt with I just use it like a blanket.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Welcome to the story club. I have actually almost goettne trapped in a top loader. But that's another thread. there is a learning curve. Just so you know you are not alone.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    My first night was in an Army surplus hammock without insulation. Got down to about 50 degF, and I had to tuck my bag liner and quilt under me to keep warm. Since I installed spreader bars, which the hammock was not designed to use, a seam started to let go right under my head. I had to lay real still all night to keep it from falling apart.

I still have that hammock. The seam is all stitched up, spreader bars are gone, and it works well... with a pad!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Ah yes, that brings back memories; Pulled muscles getting into a sleeping bag. Or what we call "Fun!"

Stick with it, it will get better.
    Some of us even sleep in them full time, but only the crazy ones!

I have slept in a bed 3 times this year so far. I hated every second of it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging gang.... Been there, done that.... learned my lessons.... Search out the warm bottom options on the forum and you'll be ready next trip.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast