Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I'm sorry to hear this, HH.
    You might be able to modify your Buff to hold the allergy mask Mountainman found, too. To give you more protection, maybe.

I don't know. I just hate to think that we might not see you at the hangs, as much.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this, HH.
    You might be able to modify your Buff to hold the allergy mask Mountainman found, too. To give you more protection, maybe.

I don't know. I just hate to think that we might not see you at the hangs, as much.
    Thank you for the support. I have taken Moutnman's suggestion, the mask is on the way.

I am worried about being able to enjoy the Hangs, I really enjoy them, meeting members face to face and exchanging information, all the fun things that go along with a group Hang.

I guess if my breathing becomes more difficult I will have to go on oxygen. I will have to train Willow (my Service dog) to pull my oxygen tank or carry a smaller one for me. Lucky for me she is very compliant.

I hope the mask does the job for me. I think it will help, I seem to be okay, until the smoke starts, then I go down hill quickly.

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Re: Breathing Problems

As a respiratory therapist I recommend you search for a mask called an N-95. They are used in the hospital setting to filter out all kinds of airborn particulates of the microscopic size. Just make sure it snug against your face.

Also, if you get to the point of needing oxygen, consider a portable liquid oxygen tank with a breath actuated regulator. They will last you hours, if only on a few liters.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    Thank you for the support. I have taken Moutnman's suggestion, the mask is on the way.

I am worried about being able to enjoy the Hangs, I really enjoy them, meeting members face to face and exchanging information, all the fun things that go along with a group Hang.

I guess if my breathing becomes more difficult I will have to go on oxygen. I will have to train Willow (my Service dog) to pull my oxygen tank or carry a smaller one for me. Lucky for me she is very compliant.

I hope the mask does the job for me. I think it will help, I seem to be okay, until the smoke starts, then I go down hill quickly.
    Ya know, it might be a good thought to carry oxygen (small canister type) with you at least while camping. That way it is available via a mask to block out whatever is causing the issue. I used to carry one for my Mom when I took her shopping as some perfumes would set her COPD off. We would just pop on the mask, issue solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    go see a doc.
    +1

Please understand that surgeons are surgeons. Of course they want to cut you. That's what they do and they're **** good at it. If you were a classic Italian specialty mechanic and someone came in with a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT that was "only running at 25%" tell me you wouldn't jump at the chance to drop the engine and give it the overhaul of your career! Doesn't mean it wouldn't still be a sweet ride by taking the less intrusive approach...say draining the fluids, maybe gently flushing and refilling with good quality replacements. Perhaps an air filter change, gap the spark plugs and give her a good old fashioned hand wash, clay and wax...because everything runs better when it looks better ...You get the picture.

Similarly, it seems you are to some extent seeking treatment, or else you would not know your EF. You appear to be taking a conservative approach to treatment, judging by your statement that you have made lifestyle changes following your CA. Then again, the fact that you survived from SCA tells me you were likely under existing medical care at the time of the event. Therefore, you may have been seeking treatment for another condition..perhaps complications due to existing heart disease, or from COPD, the latter would be a contributing factor to smoke intolerance; or perhaps due to any number of acute traumas associated with SCA. Maybe it happened in the OR during a scheduled surgery. Of course, you could have been born with a congenital heart defect making you more prone to CA-inducing arrhythmia. Indeed, CT's are known to be imperfect for the use of detecting MI so it's further possible that you had an MI and not an SCA. Who's to know?

So without knowing jack about jack, maybe a 0.3u air filter will work to limit your inhalation of particulate carbon to a more tolerable level; but, if you indeed experienced SCA you may want to consider carrying a portable AED if you don't already do so. This means training those you hike with to know how use it.

Again, don't be too hard on surgeons. Can't fault them for wanting to do what they do best..especially because they feel it's in your best interest. Take it as a compliment if they want to cut you; it means they feel you have a low likelihood of dying in their OR (lawsuits ). Anyway, I love doing what I do as well. Only I work in forensics. Unsurprisingly, it just so happens that surviving family regularly tell us that 'ma or 'pa (or whomever) doggedly stood one major sentiment:

Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I stay away from the Doctors as much as possible.
    Be well. Hope to see you on trail some day.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Very important information About Sudden Cardiac Arrest

[QUOTE=Sabatier;992243]+1
    Of course, you could have been born with a congenital heart defect making you more prone to CA-inducing arrhythmia. Indeed, CT's are known to be imperfect for the use of detecting MI so it's further possible that you had an MI and not an SCA. Who's to know?

So without knowing jack about jack, maybe a 0.3u air filter will work to limit your inhalation of particulate carbon to a more tolerable level; but, if you indeed experienced SCA you may want to consider carrying a portable AED if you don't already do so. This means training those you hike with to know how use it.

Again, don't be too hard on surgeons. Can't fault them for wanting to do what they do best..especially because they feel it's in your best interest. Take it as a compliment if they want to cut you; it means they feel you have a low likelihood of dying in their OR (lawsuits ). Anyway, I love doing what I do as well. Only I work in forensics. Unsurprisingly, it just so happens that surviving family regularly tell us that 'ma or 'pa (or whomever) doggedly stood one major sentiment:

SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST just happens. Normally there is not a warning. Most people who have a Sudden Cardiac Arrest are healthy, active people. There have been well known athletes that have just droped dead. Their heart just stopped. The problem is an electrical problem. I am one of less than 5%that survive. Most people die on the scene, or shortly afterward. Most die within 12 months of their Sudden Cardiac Arrest or death.

I chose HurtHeart as my name, because of the damage done when my heart stopped and needed help to restart. I carry a computer in my shoulder to restart my heart when it stops.

I never made a comment about surgeons, I refered to Doctors, I am doing very well, I just leave well enough alone. I do have to fix my breathing when around smoke. I know I will need oxygen soon, but I do not want to use it until I have no choice. It is better to stay natural as much as possible for as long as possible. I had kidney failure due to a medical mistake, I had to be on dialysis, so I am now very careful of who I see and for what.

I refuse to stay in my safe house, I love being outdoors and having fun. It is my hope to be enjoying life at the end of my life.

AED really is of little or no value to me. They are a bit tricky because the batteries they run off of fail a lot. No juice when you need it. Plus, being a survivor of being defib. several times, I do not want anyone to revive me, I do make that known to people around me.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Hurtheart you have a bit of Henry David Thoreau in you.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion."
    — Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Somthing said in my family is "every day after you are born, you are that much closer to death. The only thing that really matters is what you do to enjoy the middle"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Here's my spin:
    Do not go to campgrounds with fire rings, or camp away from them.
    Go to place that do not allow fires ny state ct and some others.
    encourage the use of stoves, besides, unless the wood is brought in the place is usually picked clean.
    stealth camp with a hammock. (okay it's the best I can offer)
    Is it really stealth camping if you just stay away from other sites using a fire?
    find a doctor that's willing to work with you for a filter mask.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    Sounds like you will want to use a tent or doored tarp to help filter particles.

In that case, you might just heat your hootch up with hot rocks. I make a sauna every so often and heat it up that way. Works shockingly well in an enclosed area.

Your fellow travellers (assuming you're not going to be soloing a lot) could make your fire 10 yards at least downwind from your lounging area and so the smoke won't bug ya.

Heat up some rocks in and around the fire and then drag them back to your tarp on a little raft of evergreen branch/es. careful not to drag any embers around!

In a solo sauna, which is almost hermetically sealed, I'll use maybe 8 smooth basalt river rocks, say a half a cubic foot each. How many I use depends on the weather and how hot I want to go. Sometimes they crack apart due to steam release, though they never 'explode' (seems to be a worry for virgins). Hard to drag around if they crack apart.

Not sure if some kinds of rock may outgas, maybe others would know here. Best be sure you know your minerals and your environs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12