• Ultralight Travel

1 6.25%
  • Byer Traveller

3 18.75%
  • MMG Bivvy Hammock

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Help me choose please

I have been researching and looking all over for a hammock that suits me. Unfortunately I know very little about hammocks, quality, usefulness, and what I will really need.

That being said, I plan to use this hammock for backpacking during spring and summer in the South Carolina, North Carolina, area. I am 5'5 and 180#. Side sleeper. Looking to spend $100 or less.

So far I think I would be interested in a Grand Trunk Ultralight, Grand Trunk Nano-7, Ultralight travel hammock, Byer Traveller light, and MMG Bivvy Hammock. I would also probably look to add Whoopies , a ridge line, and a tarp cover eventually.

I hope you guys/gals can help me to make an educated first purchase that I will be happy with and will last me a while. Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Highly recommend you attend a group hang to learn more and see many of the different setups. Even you have to camp in a tent , go. Many time there is extra gear so beginners can try a hammock before buying one. Invest in a copy of the Ultimate Hang book. Lots of excellent info on hanging and how to. Watch Shug's videos on hanging for new hangers.

you will need to get tarp along with the hammock unless you enjoy sleeping while getting rained on.

Hammock = Tent
    Tarp = Rainfly
    TQ = Sleeping bag
    UQ = Pad

Might be short notice but there will be a hammock hang (Smoked Butt hang) in Raleigh/Durham NC area this weekend if you can attend. Several folks from SC will be there.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Right on with the group hang, always learn so much just when you think your figuring it out
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    For spring/summer, you'll need either a separate bugnet to go over your hammock or a hammock with an integrated bugnet. As mentioned, you'll need the other components to hammock camp. You may already have a tarp, a sleeping pad can serve as under insulation, and a sleeping bag can be used for top insulation. If you don't have any of these, you'll definitely need to acquire them to be comfortable out there.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I wouldn't choose any of those hammocks as my first. The first four are beginner hammocks, and I believe they're all kind of short, and I prefer longer hammocks (10 or 11 ft).

The MMG Bivy, I believe, is for people who fear they'll have to go to ground, a fear I've never really shared. However, it does have bug protection, as I recall, unlike the others.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Are you going to camp in bug season? Are you looking at these particular hammocks because you have a budget? A little more info might help folks in helping you.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't choose any of those hammocks as my first. The first four are beginner hammocks, and I believe they're all kind of short, and I prefer longer hammocks (10 or 11 ft).

The MMG Bivy, I believe, is for people who fear they'll have to go to ground, a fear I've never really shared. However, it does have bug protection, as I recall, unlike the others.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Are you going to camp in bug season? Are you looking at these particular hammocks because you have a budget? A little more info might help folks in helping you.
    Looks like he's 5'5" and 180.

I agree with your comment about most of those. While a few are pretty solid and liked by many, I'd personally look at either a DreamHammocks freebird or a BIAS Weight Weenie for that price. Or, maybe even a used Warbonnet BlackBird or DreamHammocks Roaming Gnome.

Check out these three sites:
    www.dream-hammocks.com
    www.buttinasling.com
    www.warbonnethammocks.com (you'd have to get one of these used - or try the traveler - but still worth checking out)
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Oops, missed the height and weight. With your height, you might find the shorties more comfortable than I do.

What Byer Traveller are you talking about? If it's the Byer Moskito Traveller, I own two, and have no real complaints other than they're too short, hard to get a diagonal lay at my height (5'11"), and the shroud suspension is just a mess. Still, I've spent plenty of semi-comfortable nights in my Byer Moskito. They are kind of stretchy, but that doesn't bother me.

After switching to BIAS hammocks my Byers are semi-retired. I use them for loaners.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-17-2013 at 23:07.

Thanks for the info and all the suggestions. Anyone have suggestions on a pad or sleeping bag, I have a heavy Walmart sleeping bag but do have a self inflating sleeping pad. Where can I look at BIAS hammocks? Yes I am a budget hiker/backpacker. Thanks again for the insight and help.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could use a Closed Cell Foam pad instead of an inflatable as well.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    BIAS stands for Butt In A Sling and they have their own forum here.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast