Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle

Thumbs up First Night in a NX-200 (Hammocking Virginity Lost)

I got the NX-200 a week or so ago. I decided to go to a local camping area around Leesburg, Al. called Cherokee Rock Village. I used to go there all the time, when I was younger and man had it changed. Last night was the first night that I could try it out. Boy did I pick a good night for it. The weather was supposed to be in the 40's with little wind but overcast. Well it turned out that it ended up in the lower 30's with alot of wind and not a cloud in the sky. This was good for stargazing, but not the ideal conditions for a newb with a new hammock, luckily I was in an area that had easy acess to the campsites. It was a late start, had to work until 3 pm. I got everything setup with about thirty minutes to gather firewood for the firepit and get it lit before it got dark. Had dinner by the fire and looked and the clear sky for several hours in the peace and quiet, I had forgotten how beautiful they can be from the top of this ridge I was on. After talking with the campers next to me for an hour or so I decided to turn in for the night.

Here is where the newb moves came into play. I had the hammock up but I did not try it out before it was dark and I was on my way to sleep. I sat down and bump there was the ground. This led to adjusting the height of my hammock in a 10 mile an hour crosswind in upper 30 temps. Needless to say I was not happy about this. I finally got everything adjusted, bedding set-up, extra insulation in the pockets and settled in to a night of gentle swaying and trying to read myself to sleep. I will actually admit that this was very comfortable right up until my backside got cold, took about and hour. It was not to cold but I could feel it creeping up!!!! Pulled out the poly mummy bag liner and placed it under the old back side. This did the trick.

At 1 am I was awakened by the call of nature, roaring four wheelers, the giggling couple in the other campsite and a rather cold set of toes. Answered the call, pulled out the earplugs and pulled out the extra covers (my jackets outer shell). I read a little more and before I knew it 9:30 am had rolled around and I was actually head sweating a little bit. I slept so soundly that I woke up like I had been on a three day bender!!!!!!!

For a first night I think I did ok. I made it all the way through the night, warm and not hammock-sick. I got camp pulled up and I cant wait until next saturday so I can try this out again........I now am officially a hammock addict and will be bringing my daughter into this wonderful experience later in the spring.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great story, thanks for the report! You did great! Earplugs are a good idea with so many other noises (like people) around.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Yeah, BigBamaGuy! Great first try, so much better than mine was! Way to go, welcome to the club!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Good report, thanks for posting it..... Second NCP's comment on the ear plugs.... They are always in my emergency ditty bag.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Good report. I also carry earplugs with me and use them even when I am camping alone. I remember my first night out in a Clark Deluxe a bunch of years ago. I was in that hammock for 15 hours! When I woke the next morning, I felt great. No sore bones or muscles. I was completely sold on hammocks at that point.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I almost always use ear plugs. There is always a nocternal critter of some type that gets right next to me and makes noise all night. I can not sleep with irregular sounds. With plugs in I just hear my own breathing so It actually helps me sleep.

Pretty good job for a first night. I love how I often wake up and feel like like I need to open the shield because I am too warm inside. Definitely different than a tent like that. I have to use a Down mat to really stay warm enough on my backside in the colder temps. I want to see how something like a narrow fleece blanket would do as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    I almost always use ear plugs. There is always a nocternal critter of some type that gets right next to me and makes noise all night. I can not sleep with irregular sounds. With plugs in I just hear my own breathing so It actually helps me sleep.

Pretty good job for a first night. I love how I often wake up and feel like like I need to open the shield because I am too warm inside. Definitely different than a tent like that. I have to use a Down mat to really stay warm enough on my backside in the colder temps. I want to see how something like a narrow fleece blanket would do as well.
    There is one spot on the Benton MacKaye Trail in Georgia where I have camped a few times. Seems like every time there have been a few whippoorwills that got very old after a while... ear plugs were the only way to get some sleep.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Sounds like you had a great time. I'm working on a project that might get me and my boys out in the next couple weeks.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

• + New Posts