Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide

doors vs no doors in rainy/humid weather

I want to know from those with experience. Im looking into buying a zpacks cuben tarp and debating between doors or no doors. I will be in very hot tropical rainy weather where it rains every single day. So far I know that almost everyone loves the doors my only issue is condensation. If it is raining every day, will it get muggy with the tent all sealed up? I will also be doubling up with someone(2 hammocks under same tarp) so i will need more coverage but this also means there is another person breathing moist air to add to the condensation.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Just my 2 cents here...

Many a time I don't use the doors on my Hammock Gear Winter Palace. Then I keep 'em folded (inwards). When I do need them, I can run them out while staying as dry as possible underneath my tarp.

You can also guy out the doors to increase the side surface. So the door is guyed out but open. Sorry no pics to make this more clear.

Don't know about Hawaiian tropical rains but other tropical rains that I have experienced where more straight down so doors are nice but not necessary. Unlike the windblown rains I have over here in Holland (The Netherlands / Europe).

Angle of pitching, distance from the ground and not closing the doors, in combination with a not completely saturated ground and a bit of wind should prevent most if not all condensation that would bother you.

Hope this helped a bit and I am sure other will chime in too.

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I really like my tarps to only have doors on one side. I stay plenty dry and I don't have to fiddle around with the door when I get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    If and only if you know the rain will only be coming straight down; such as thick jungle and evergreen stands. If there will be windy stormy weather the doors are always a plus. Griz Beaks work pretty well too. I would always opt for doors on an "ultra light tarp" such as 30d silny, but espesially on cuben, and probably get Griz Beaks for anything heavier.

If you are in an area that the rain only comes straight down then a wider tarp with no doors would make sense, I think.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I like the versatility of have doors. Last weekend, had one end closed cause of the wind, other end was open and folded back, then the next nite,,,one end closed, and one door on other end closed. summer time, folded and open even in porch mode. so many different ways to hand and not that much weight diff. in having them when you really need them.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Even closed doors usually leave a 6" gap open near the ridgeline - gives a bit o ventilation.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You probably want doors, any windy conditions give you flexibility to block off one end or the other, changes in wind direction can be accommodated after you're setup. Let's face it, with a cuben tarp the added weight of the doors and rigging is pretty minimal.

David

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I love the doors on my HammockGear winter palace, as stated above, it gives you so many more options and with it being cuben it only weighs 9 ounces.

As for hanging 2 hammocks under 1 tarp, I am pretty sure you will not be able to close the doors unless you are in bunk style 1 over the other. If hanging side by side you will be able to guy them out but I dont see you being able close them
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I am weird.. I don't even own a tarp with doors. I like being able to look around.
    I have only closed up one side of my tarp one time and that was because I was on Mt Rainier and wind was blowing snow on me.
    I have never have had rain get on me once, not even using the stock HH tarps. Oh and I live in Oregon
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    I love the doors on my HammockGear winter palace, as stated above, it gives you so many more options and with it being cuben it only weighs 9 ounces.

As for hanging 2 hammocks under 1 tarp, I am pretty sure you will not be able to close the doors unless you are in bunk style 1 over the other. If hanging side by side you will be able to guy them out but I dont see you being able close them
    Nine ounces? Mine's only 8.5 ounces! I love the doors on my HG Winter Palace too. The Winter Palace is bigger than the Zpacks and I also can't see how you would close the doors unless you hung bunk style. In which case, you would probably have to hang the tarp really high, allowing wind blown rain to come in underneath the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast