Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weight limits...how much margin?

I am a "born again n00b" looking for my starter hammock.

I am only 5'6" so I fit into almost all the hammocks, by height. However, I am really, really dense. My "skin in" weight is around 200 pounds. I try to keep the "skin out" weight to 30-35 pounds for a 4 day weekend trip - and that's a "wet" total (I like to eat well...and often. )

I have looked at Hennessy Hammock Scout (200 lb limit) or Expedition (250 lb limit) , Grand Trunk SBP (250 lb limit), DIY (vaires...starting at 200 lb), and a few others.

So...if I were to pile me and everything into the hammock I would be pushing the 250 pound limit. Soak everything in rain, or toss in one or both pre-schoolers and I would be clealy over a 250 pound limit.

How literal should I take any of those published weight limits? Is there a little "jiggle" room? Should I just take the base weight hit and go with the "double layer" hammocks and push the weight limit to 350 pounds and never worry again?

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Weight limits...how much margin?

Why would you pile your stuff in the hammock???
    Most people hang the stuff off the suspension... Which can take a lot more load than the fabric can... Usually its just you and a few lbs in the hammock... Everything else I usually hang off the trees or off my suspension somewhere... The load limits are almost exclusive to the fabric strength and has nothing to do with the suspensions capability...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Why would you pile your stuff in the hammock???
    Just as a thought exercise to bound the total possible hammock born weight:

200lb < (Me + all my junk) < 250lb
    250lb < (Me + kid(s)) < 300lb

I get that the suspensions are over spec'd. The connections to the fabric, and the fabric are where limits really live.

What I don't get is how much "jiggle" room is there? 10%? 50%? 2x?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The static load isn't the issue. It is the load amplified by g forces. Your gear dropped on stretched out hammock, or you with backpack falling into hammock. Or the difference between the sensitivity to prick of a lightly inflated balloon -- eq low load -- compared to one with the membrane under strain.

(I'm about your height, but during the stage of life of getting shorter. Between shrinkage and "just <3 lbs gained this year..." I decided to get the gravitational burden on the planet down so that other health numbers were not also in the region where my Dr was asking questions not so different than the ones you are asking about hammock loads here. Again static vs dynamic load eg walking vs climbing.)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'd suggest that you look at a larger, higher load bearing hammock.

Consider the HH Explorer Deluxe, for example.

I'm your height and weight, and that's what I use. You'll enjoy the roominess more than you will in an expedition or other hammock.

And if I recall correctly, it's rated to 300lbs.

I'm with Brute, why would you even think about putting everything in with you? All I want in my hammock is me, what I'm wearing to sleep and my quilt.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If you plan to add a kid or two to the mix, I'd go for heavier fabric. Most of these hammocks don't have a lot of wiggle room as to their max weight advice. They won't automatically break if you exceed their ratings, but you may permanently stretch out the fabric of the hammock and it will forever be less comfortable than when you bought it.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    If you plan to add a kid or two to the mix, I'd go for heavier fabric. Most of these hammocks don't have a lot of wiggle room as to their max weight advice. They won't automatically break if you exceed their ratings, but you may permanently stretch out the fabric of the hammock and it will forever be less comfortable than when you bought it.
    You bring up a good point; hammock weight ratings have as much do to with comfort based on stretch as they do with actual breaking strength. I haven't delved into this myself, but I've read that the stretch in a hammock can change the lay significantly.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Your specs on the Grand Trunk SBP are wrong. The non-pro version is only 250lbs, but that model has been discontinued (You can still pick them up at campmore.) The Pro version is 400lbs.

No--I don't work for GT. I just like their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    I'm with Brute, why would you even think about putting everything in with you?
    I am not. I am just thinking about the maximum amount of weight I could possibly have with me while hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    That is a good point. I was worried about the stitching, but not really thinking about the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose 1 View Post
    Your specs on the Grand Trunk SBP are wrong. The non-pro version is only 250lbs, but that model has been discontinued (You can still pick them up at campmore.) The Pro version is 400lbs.
    Good to know. I have been finding a wide range of specs, depending on the site. I can tell that I will need to pay attention as I go.

That said, the GT SBP is looking like it may be my next hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast