Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Are Asym hammocks more comfortable?

I know this is mostly a personal preference, but I want some input.

I've decided to upgrade from my GTUL (which isn't all that comfortable/warm) to something a little nicer.

I want a bugnet - you NEED a bugnet in Alabama in the spring when I do most of my camping. I'm trying to decide on a larger/another style of gathered end OR to go Asym. Do most people notice a difference? I'm a side sleeper, so maybe that's why the GTUL doesn't really work for me.

I also plan on getting an Underquilt, so I'm assuming I should decide what style hammock to get first, or will they interchange and still keep you warm? I have a MJ tarp already, so I'm covered in that department.....

In searching, I only see two Asym - the Blackbird and the Hennesy. Am I missing others?
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Most gathered end hammocks allow the sleeper to sleep asym - even ones without a footbox like the Blackbird has. Wilderness logics has a drawstring to make a foot box - some folks have those installed on all 4 corners too. Other vendors have that too.

You might also want to attend a group hang and hope to try a JRB bridge or a Warbonnet Ridgerunner for side-sleeping.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL,WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I have side slept in both my WB traveler and BB XLC. I find the WB hammocks very comfortable but I suspect that the ones from dream Hammocks are very comfortable too.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a Hennessy and while not 100% slide sleeper, I do sleep on my side part of the night. I am very comfortable in the Hennessy on my side or my back. Only issue I experience is with ridgeline cramps in my calves which I address by tossing my pack under my feet when I sleep on my back.

I also have an ENO dbl and sleep just about the same in it minus the calf issue. In the ENO I fight the dreaded "cloth in the face issue." I am going to experiment with doing a couple of tie outs on it just to see if that fixes it.

I use the same UQ on both the Hennessy (classic/bottom entrance) and the ENO. I purchased a UQ made specifically for the HH (The Nest from JRB) but it works fine on the ENO.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna here...The Switchback (Tree to Tree Trail Gear) is another very nice gathered end hammock with a bugnet....very roomy.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    You need either a bridge hammock, or a asym to get a flat lay. It is possible to be comfortable without these, see the Clark line of hammocks. I've not tried bridge hammocks, for the most part I think they are too heavy for backpacking. Another good hammock to look at are the Dream Hammocks. They are of the gathered end, asym type and some time spent on their website might help you decide what you want.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Are Asym hammocks more comfortable?

As you say, it's personal, but I find a very flat lay in my asymmetrical WBBB but it is less versatile. In other words, I can't get comfortable in every position. They are great if you only sleep on your back. My Switchback, which is symmetrical, is comfortable in any position. I prefer the symmetrical hammocks.

Underquilts fit both symmetrical and asymmetrical hammocks equally. I do not own a bridge hammock, but I know some that have had underquilt fit issues with them, unless the underquilt is specifically made for a bridge.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

I need to sell both of those hammocks. Let me know if you are interested. I also have a UQ and an OQ. I'm trying to build a new set up which means I have to get rid of some of the gear that's in the gear closet

WB Black Bird Hammock - Dbl Walls, 1.1 Olive Brown - 25.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $175, Asking $140

WB MambaJamba Tarp - 132" x 120" Olive Brown - 13.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $110, Asking $95

WB 3 Season Yeti Underquilt - 20 degree, Black - 12.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $180, Asking $150
    *I have those triangle thingies that hold this in place and will throw them in for free. I forget what company I bought them from.

HH UL Backpacker Asym Zip Hammock - side zip entry, Bark - 1lb 15 oz - See note - Paid $239.95, Asking $140
    *this hammock has been set up three or four times but never taken on a trip and is otherwise new. The rainfly is missing so the $80 for a replacement rainfly is not included in the price. I was planning on setting this up with the MambaJamba.

HH 4 season Super Shelter - Bark and Charcoal - 16.7 oz - Brand New - Paid $139.95, Asking $110

HH 4 season Overcover - Green - 3.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $34.95, Asking $20

Quote Originally Posted by fog horn View Post
    I need to sell both of those hammocks. Let me know if you are interested. I also have a UQ and an OQ. I'm trying to build a new set up which means I have to get rid of some of the gear that's in the gear closet

WB Black Bird Hammock - Dbl Walls, 1.1 Olive Brown - 25.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $175, Asking $140

WB MambaJamba Tarp - 132" x 120" Olive Brown - 13.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $110, Asking $95

WB 3 Season Yeti Underquilt - 20 degree, Black - 12.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $180, Asking $150
    *I have those triangle thingies that hold this in place and will throw them in for free. I forget what company I bought them from.

HH UL Backpacker Asym Zip Hammock - side zip entry, Bark - 1lb 15 oz - See note - Paid $239.95, Asking $140
    *this hammock has been set up three or four times but never taken on a trip and is otherwise new. The rainfly is missing so the $80 for a replacement rainfly is not included in the price. I was planning on setting this up with the MambaJamba.

HH 4 season Super Shelter - Bark and Charcoal - 16.7 oz - Brand New - Paid $139.95, Asking $110

HH 4 season Overcover - Green - 3.5 oz - Brand New - Paid $34.95, Asking $20

This needs to go in the For Sale forum in Marketplace.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

ENO Singlenest

Quote Originally Posted by CLANKBANG View Post
    I have side slept in both my WB traveler and BB XLC. I find the WB hammocks very comfortable but I suspect that the ones from dream Hammocks are very comfortable too.
    I have found myself asleep ON MY SIDE in a ENO Singlenest on more than one occasion. Depends on your size and if you can find your sweet spot.

"Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast